“Great all around Hotel”
Review of Garden Plaza Hotel

Garden Plaza Hotel
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Reviewed April 25, 2008

I have been staying at this Hotel for the past couple of years once or twice a month. Since new ownership has taken over the staff is much more accommadating. The renovation is comming along nicely, it does not interup the stay and so far from what i have sen the are doing it first class. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone. I really like having the restaurant attachted even though it is not affiliated it is an added bonus .

Reviewed April 16, 2008

We had a pleasant time here. The whole place is under reconstruction so we feared the worst with noise from the constructon workers but we heard nothing and they were obviosly trying to make it as nice for us as possible. It should be beautiful when they finish! Check it out the price is right.

Reviewed April 16, 2008

Traveling to Maryland to visit our daughter we happened upon the Clarion Hotel in Hagerstown. After viewing several other hotel's accommodations we chose to stay at the Clarion simply because the overall package was far superior than that of their competitors. The beds felt like heaven, as if a new mattress had been placed in the room just for us. The room itself was spotless, and smelled clean and fresh. It was so easy to get to our room and load in our luggage; we were able to relax immediately. And after hiking the Appalachian Trail all day this was much appreciated. Hotel staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and actually were happy to see us and get to know us a little. The nice lady at the front desk recommended several restaurants in the area, and we settled on Barefoot Bernie's next door. We are so glad we did, because we enjoyed great food, drinks, and even Karaoke afterwards. We stayed longer than we had planned on because we were having so much fun. Oh, and the complimentary breakfast was just what we needed to jump start our morning. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to experience the charm of this area, and I know we'll be staying there again on our next trip through Hagerstown.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2008

We stayed at this beautiful hotel on our way home from Washington, DC. so we could visit the Antietam Battlefield, a turning point in the Civil War. The hotel is completing an extensive renovation. It is just gorgeous as you walk in the front door. The staff was very helpful and gracious in meeting our needs, as well as the workers doing the remodelling being cheerful & helpful. Our room was beautiful, though yet to be remodelled. We had a faucet problem, which they remedied right away. We stayed here with two grandchildren and would like to return to enjoy the finished product. The hotel is a huge conference center, was very reasonable in price and had a wonderful complimentary breakfast. Our thanks go to a great staff, Ralph & Tierney Scantlin, Fort Wayne, In.

Reviewed April 3, 2008

The only reason I decided to book this hotel in Hagerstown was because it had an indoor pool. My kids ages 5 & 10 really wanted to swim a bit on their vacation after a long cold winter.

We show up at the hotel and it is simply a disaster. They were undergoing major renovations which I was not notified of by the hotel or by Orbitz who I booked it through.

The pool was drained, half the hotel didn't have a roof, there was scaffolding around the entire hotel, and there was construction debris blowing around the parking lot hitting the parked cars.

Also the hotel was offering "contractors specials" seems the hotel had become the hot spot for local construction workers to stay. While this is fine for a construction worker a family of four might look at the qualities that attract such clientèle quite differently.

I spoke to the manger who wasn't very helpful, said I could book at the comfort inn down the road which was a hotel in the same chain, but they would in no way honor the rate of their sister hotel. Talk about ridiculous.

After a very tense conversation with the manager, she upgraded us to a suite with an adjoining room. Fine I though this will at least make up for some of this. We get to the suite and my 10 year old goes to look at the window into the atrium, she is greeted by the sight of 2 overweight shirtless construction workers in the atrium, Great! After we were in the room for about half an hour I heard the sound of tape being unrolled, open the curtains and saw they had put plastic up on all 3 of our rooms sliding glass door to the atrium.

Now lets talk about the rooms themselves. The suite had stains on the carpet and the edges were all frayed, the air conditioning unit seemed like it was from the late 70s and made so much noise when you turned it on it was unusable.

The adjoining rooms bathroom had drops of a dark red substance underneath the sink. Upon closer inspection I realized it was drops of blood from god knows where. I forbid the children from using that bathroom and we kept the door closed to it for the rest of our stay. Also the security lock for the adjoining room had been completely ripped out of the door, I can only speculate as to how this had happened in the past, but such speculation brought up very bad pictures in my mind.

All in all I wouldn't recommend ANYONE stay in this hotel unless you are looking for some kind of twisted adventure....even then, go find a one star hotel with zero pretension, because this place calls itself a three star hotel and it is not even close.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Ty C
latamilner, Director of Sales at Garden Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2008

This complaint is from a person who firstly was not the registered guest. Secondly the problem was not created by the Hotel. The guest made reservations through Orbitz and was not advised by them when making the reservation that the pool was closed until the 14th April 2008 and that the property was under renovation.

The reason for this is that the agent had old information from the Choicehotels.com website which they must have placed on their own website some time ago. Orbitz has an obligation to update any information on their website on a regular basis which they failed to do.

On arrival at the Hotel they were informed by the Assistant General Manager that the pool was closed and gave the guest the opportunty to move to another hotel with a pool but the guest refused. The Guest was then upgraded to a suite with a Jacuzzi and given an additional complimentary adjoining room all at a mere cost of $63.96.

Both our executive housekeeper and maintenance manager checked the room after the complaint of alleged blood on the floor. They found no blood but evidence of rust marks from a rusty pipe.

The Hotel is undergoing a $3 Million dollar renovation which will be completed in June 2008 - workmen have been on the property now for the last two and half months. Neither we nor our staff have ever witnessed any shirtless workmen on the property. Had the pool been open there could have been shirtless men swimming pool.

Yes scaffolding is up, containers are at the back of the Hotel for the contractors to store their materials - it is a worksite. How else does a renovation get done.

We believe this guests comments are totally unwarranted.

However as a gesture of goodwill the Guest has been offered another complimentary stay when the renovations are completed,

Our hotel will be the newest hotel in Hagerstown when renovation is complete.

Reviewed April 2, 2008

I have been staying at the Hotel for 3 weeks now, and indeed thay are going through IMPROVEMENTS!! The pool/atrium area is almost done, (it was like swiming in warm water during the winter) the rooms are clean, and the Staff is AWESOME. Russ at the Desk has taken care of anything I needed, and the girls have done a wonderful job with the room. I had my choice between the 4Points and here, and I am glad I came this way. A big plus is "BareFoot Bernies" connected to the hotel. Great food and drink at very reasonable prices, and a friendly group of bartenders and waitresses! I'll be here until I finish my Training!

Reviewed March 30, 2008

I do a lot of traveling for business and the Clarion has always been a pleasurable place to stay. The staff at check in was exceptionally friendly and helpful as was the staff at check out. My stay was relaxing and I will definitely be back back again. Even more exciting, this facility is undergoing extensive renovations which will surely lead to an even nice hotel. The hotel is convenient to local attractions and highways.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business