WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Ramada Plaza Hagerstown

Ramada Plaza Hagerstown
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Kansas City, Missouri
“Nothing special, except that it's everything it should be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

My partner and I recently took a road trip from Kansas City to Washington DC and back. We stayed at a range of hotels from upscale to homey, and the Ramada in Hagerstown, while not the most modern or beautiful of hotels, was easily the most comfortable. Our room was almost ridiculously large, and the bed was as comfortable as sleeping at home. There was a full-sized bathroom, with a shower and tub, in which there was ample hot water, and in which the water pressure was ideal. The Ramada is the sort of place where travelers still get a basket full of tiny toiletries - not just soap and shampoo, but lotion, toothpaste, a shoe polish wipe, and a sewing kit. I cannot tell you when the last time I saw a sewing kit in a hotel room was. There was a small refrigerator in the room, also something of an endangered species in modern hotels. We did not take advantage of the hotel's amenities, other than internet, because we were only staying one night and leaving early in the morning, but I would have gladly stayed here longer if we'd been able to.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Underpass, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Hagerstown, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderfully detailed review about our hotel! We hope you come back and stay with us sometime in the future. Don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with future reservations.

301-797-2500 x122

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Newark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

I was a little scared to stay here after the mixed reviews but decided based on management's responses to give them a shot. Happy to say - I'm very glad I did...the hotel is in a great location right across the street from the mall and close to a ton of restaurants. The rooms were much bigger than I expected with a couch and plenty of room to walk around and our room came with a complimentary refrigerator. The rooms were clean, bed was comfortable and they had a nice selection of toiletries that you typically don't see including makeup remover, toothpaste, etc. There was a free continental breakfast that was a nice spread of juices, fresh fruits, yogurts, cereals, pastries, coffees, flavored specialty teas, creamed chip beef and biscuits (which was actually decent). Overall the value was incredible for the price, staff was very friendly and the next time i have to stay in this area I will absolutely stay here. If they had issues they definitely have worked to fix them.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Underpass, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Hagerstown, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Thank you so much for posting your wonderful comments about our hotel and staff! I have to say in my 23 years in the hospitality industry this is by far the best hotel all around that I have worked for! Please dont' hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you anytime. And we very much look forward to your return visit to Hagerstown sometime soon.

DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

Deserves to be #1. The Ramada Plaza Hotel is absolutely, hands down the best secret in Hagerstown. Convenient to everything, the hotel has a great restaurant, large rooms, superior staff, well equipped gym & indoor pool.
The complimentary continental breakfast is really like eating at home. They have a hot food station, cereals (hot & cold), fruits, juices, etc.
If you're not in the mood for prime rib (the restaurant's specialty), you can walk to a number of restaurants right in the vicinity.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your support and wonderful comments about our hotel and staff! We take great pride in our hotel and serving our guests. Please let me know when you are back in town, it is our pleasure to have you stay with us!

Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

We had stayed at the Plaza in the past, but no longer recommend it. The first thing we noticed when we walked in was an unusual smell in the lobby. When we went to the room, the housekeeping was not up to par; it wasn't a nightmare by any stretch, but the room was not cleaned well. I don't want signs of other people having stayed in the room, and there were fingerprints, hair, etc. all around.
My gut told me another room would be no better (interestingly, we had a similar issue in April, with a 'non-smoking' room reeking of smoke and air freshener (they did move us to an upgraded room that time)). We called the Homewood nearby and they were very helpful in getting a room at a closer-to-Ramada-than-Homewood price (though, it wasn't 100% perfect, either...see review).
When we told the clerk we were leaving and why, he apologized, but didn't seem too concerned. This is too bad; I know the hotel is cheaper than others for a reason, but while I can live with older decor and lack of breakfast, I want a clean room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Underpass, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Hagerstown, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I was very saddened that you were disappointed with our hotel and chose to leave and stay elsewhere. Especially since you have been a previous guest of ours and felt comfortable recommending us to other travelers. Since August we have made many positive changes at our hotel and I sincerely apologize that we were not up to par during our flag change from an Independant Hotel to a Ramada Plaza. I am confident that you would not be disappointed again and ask if you will give us another chance to win you back as a loyal customer. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

(301) 797-2500 x122
Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

MY wife & I stayed at this hotel for 1 night (booked through Expedia). The hotel was conveniently located and the room was comfortable. The staff were great & the restaurant was awesome (but a bit pricey). There is a dry sauna & a heated indoor pool.

Breakfast was good -- sausage, mini omelets, potatoes, cereals, bread items, etc.

The pool & sauna were great (it was very cold out). My only real complaint is that the room was somewhat dirty -- dust everywhere, hairs in the bathroom, dirt & hairs on the box spring (we checked for bed bugs -- none found).

pros - great value, great restaurant, good breakfast, heated pool

cons - dirty

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Underpass, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Hagerstown, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know what we are doing well and if there is anything that we can do better! Cleanliness issues are not a normal problem that we have at our hotel and I do apologize that your room was not to our normal standards of clean. We would appreciate any additional information you could provide to us so that we can take the proper steps to correct this problem. Please feel free to contact me directly at 301-797-2500 x122 to communicate information so that we may follow up. And please let me know when and if you will be back in the Hagerstown area, we would very much appreciate the opportunity to make it up to you.

Thank you again!
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

Since I was bringing a large group, I initially did a walk through of the hotel in January 2010 & was very impressed with the Sales staff and the rooms. In June, there was a management change and Ramada took over. I have to be honest, I was a little concerned, as I have had two bad expreriences with the Ramada chain. As the date of the stay grew closer, the Sales staff stayed in contant communication with me.
Not one person out of the 93 people that were part of the group had any complaints. The rooms were spacious, the mini-suites were nice and the food in the Fireside Restaurant was excellent. The Plaza is truly a gem. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

We were a bit concerned booking a hotel that wasn't a "chain". We had stayed at another property off the same exit previously and wanted to stay in this area on our way to New England. We stayed June 12 on the way north and on June 19 on the way back south. It appeared on the return trip that they were possibly changing to a Ramada.

During both stays we received discount coupons for the Fireside Restaurant. We ate there both evenings and had excellent meals. My husband got the crab cakes and they were fantastic. I got a very nice, tender filet both times.

Our rooms were clean and actually quite large. On our return trip, we found that our A/C wasn't working properly in the room they gave us. My husband told the front desk and they immediately put us not only in another room, but in an absolutely huge suite. It had a living room, huge double sink bathroom and the bedroom was massive with two large queen beds.

If we are ever making another trip north and need to stay anywhere near Hagerstown, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business