“The Best Hotel I Never Heard Of”

Ramada Plaza Hagerstown
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Booked a room at this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. Had never heard of Plaza Hotels before - not sure if it is a chain or not. Very, very nice hotel that is kind of secluded. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Lots of places to eat in the area, but that's about it. Couldn't find any shopping or outdoor activities nearby on a Sunday night. For a clean, quiet, comfortable room at a great price, this is the place to stay in Hagerstown. Staying here again in October for races at the Hagerstown Speedway.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed October 17, 2009

The decor of Plaza Hotel's lobby, hallways, and guestroom was dated: emerald green carpets with burgundy upholstery gave me an 80s flashback. I wouldn't recommend Plaza Hotel for a business trip if you're trying to impress coworkers. My room had all the necessities (iron, hair dryer, coffee maker, mini frig, flat-screen TV), so I had a comfortable stay. However, the room rate was a bit overpriced ($95 before taxes), considering that I've stayed in nicer hotels in more urban locales for $100/night before. I wondered whether better deals are to be had at the Holiday Inn Express next door.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Overall, I'd agree with the majority of recent posts--don't pass the hotel by merely becauase it doesn't have a chain name associated with it nor accrue "points" for you.

I recently stayed at the hotel for 5 days for a hobby function where we've been meeting at the hotel for nearly 20 years (although this was my first time at the event). The hotel is well kept up, well lit and has all that you'd expect in a hotel. Staff was very pleasant and our room at least was quickly made up. A very solid choice for business or a stop over. I'd probably say its lacking for kids or families in terms of amenities, "fun", or asethetics, and certainly not a romantic setting.

the breakfast (at least that was offered as a buffet style one for our large group) was the minimum to get you going. A nicer offering would have been appreciated, but they did comp it for our group each day we were there, so that might have dictated the quality.

The pool was fine. It is a deep pool in a quiet room. There is an adequate exercise room on the 2nd floor that takes a bit to find.

The hotel is walking distance to a few restaurants (an Outback and a Wild Wings 3 and a really nice Bob Evans) and as someone said a "stone's throw" to a mall and several other shopping areas. Its access off the highway is not intiutive, but look for and follow the signs and you'll get there. Even after 5 days, I couldn't quite get my bearings in relation to the mall, but really the destinations are close.

Nothing more to add--I will just affirm what our fellow travelers before me have said about the Plaza Hotel- it's worth the stop if you're in the area.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2009

The Plaza may be a bit tricky to get to, but honestly it's not much of an issue. Located perfectly for anyone travelling either I-70 or I-81, this property is located at an interchange that features almost every conceivable luxury for which a traveller might have need. Featuring an excellent restuarant and lounge, a friendly staff and very nice rooms to boot (at reasonable rates I might add) , don't make the mistake of dismissing this property solely because it is unbranded. The Plaza is certainly a very welcome suprise and we look forward to a return visit the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I recently stayed at the Plaza as a second choice, but from now on it will be my first choice. Just because it doesn't have a chain logo attached by no means detracts from the quality, cleanliness and service. I've stayed at pricier hotels and was not as impressed as I was with the Plaza. The location is excellent for travelers on Interstates 81 and 70. The Hagerstown Mall is a "stone's throw" away. I can't wait until this winter when I can stay there again and spend time skiing at nearby Whitetail Ski Resort. Nearby Black Rock Golf Course was on my agenda but bad weather prevailed. Finally, the food at the Fireside restaurant was as good as I've eaten in the finer New York and Chicago restaurants. The Plaza is a fantastic place to stay if you're in the Hagerstown area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel as a getaway. Everything was in order from walking in to having pleasant people on the front desk to a perfectly clean room with a spotless bathroom. Everything was in working order ( many hotels you have to call the front desk for something). The pool was very inviting along with a relaxing spa. Later on we had dinner at the hotel restaurant called "The Fireside Rest. & Lounge" . We were greeted with a wonderful friendly staff. Our waitress was very attentive and friendly. Our meal was done to perfection and tasty too. We couldn't have it any better. The hotel throughtout was clean, appointed in a lovely decor, and a great staff. We would recommend this hotel on an A+ basis. We are looking forward to our next getaway and it will be at this hotel - The Plaza in Hagerstown, Md.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

My business traveling partner suggested we stay here (personally, I like to stay at chain hotels", so I went with it. For 79 Bucks, what can you expect. The rooms are outdated and need new carpet, drapes and total rehab. However, the staff seemed to have more charm that the average Hilton/Marriott....
All in all, I think we all need to keep in mind that you DO get what you pay for!
Bargain hunters might get a deal here, but then how can you complain?
So far, I have my slipper on, have noticed the unusal "trap' on the floor, but have seen NO bugs (yet).
Travel on!