“Surprisingly Good!”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
LImerick, PA
“Surprisingly Good!”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We were in town for a girls 16U softball tournament. This was one of the hotels on the list from the tournament director. Having called quite a few hotels we were not able to find one that could accommodate up to 11 rooms for our families. I was hesitant to book this (not sure why.......gut I guess?!). From the time we booked the rooms to the time we checked out, we could not have asked for better service. Viktor and his team were amazing! The hotel was clean, the price was definitely right, the rooms were more than adequate! The only downside was the pool was still being built and not yet open and there were no laundry facilities ( which I understand they are in the midst of adding) We couldn't have asked for a better stay. Keep in mind this is no Hyatt or Hilton, but we got more than we paid for - and clean!!! Definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Ever stay at a place you know is about to be converted to other use? This property looks like it was once a thriving hotel but it is no longer. It looks like its about a few months away from being turned into an old age home or office building. Despite the advertisements that say it is a full service facility it is not in any way. There is no restaurant here. There was once a Perkins that has been renamed twice apparently with no current occupant. There is no pool. Oh there is, actually two concrete holes with years of debris and neglect. Which one should count? The one in the back of the property with half boarded up rat entrances to the building littered with construction supplies? Or, perhaps the vacant motel part next door that is overgrown with weeds and looks like a long ago 1960s Holiday Inn that has not been open in decades. I don't see how Best Western allows their name associated to this property. This is a disgrace to their name and to the city of Hagerstown.

Perhaps most disturbing is the fact that fire exits are locked. Yes, locked. You literally can not reenter a floor once the door shuts behind you. You can only go to the lobby. The door on my particular floor has to be nearly forced to even open. Imagine if there was a fire somewhere in between floors, you would be trapped. This is outright dangerous and I don't see how this would pass inspection. Oh I could barely open and exit the fifth floor, but it looked like something out of a horror movie. There was carpeting ripped up and it appeared to be an entire level of the property - abandoned. I also don't see how the long ago motel property next door passes any sort of city code or ordinance.

Only positive thing is the room itself is not THAT bad. It was large with decent TV selection and a fridge/micro. A/C was noisy and not capable of cooling the room. Bathroom counter had stains all over it and the tile was cracked and broken in many areas. Internet worked. I'm scared to even try to eat breakfast for fear of food poisoning. WHO in their right mind would have a wedding here?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Hagerstown hotels

Ohio
Reviewed October 21, 2009

After reading the mixed reviews here, I was very pleasantly surprised with our experience. The room was very clean and comfortable. We both slept well - not easy for me when traveling. It is out of the way, but a very good value - cheaper than most "value chains".

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Holland1440
Reviewed August 15, 2009

The hotel itself was fine. We didn't have any problems with our room or the service. It's a conference hotel, so be prepared to encounter large groups of people that are traveling together. The only thing I did not like about this hotel was that breakfast was not until 7 a.m. Since we were traveling and needed to be up early, we ended up paying for breakfast down the road. If they wanted to appeal to travelers or early risers, breakfast really should be at 6 a.m.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Suches Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I read the reviews here so I was forewarned. I negotiated the price via Priceline. The discount was not that impressive.

I was only there for a quick night's sleep and a little desk work the next morning. The room was clean and large. Not well lighted. The furniture was comfortable. The TV was not real new but not bad. I found it basic but suitable for doing desk work.

The bed was very good. The internet was free. The room had a small fridge and microwave whch you will need.

The room was clean (no musty or smoky smell) , quiet and air conditioned.

If you desire ANYTHING else I would not recommend the Venice. The restaurant is closed. They try to compensate by providing a free continental breakfast but it is very, very basic and I found it easy to pass on. The neighborhood might make you nervious and while the parking is free it is not secure.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Greenbelt, Maryland
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Finding the hotel was easy, as was check in. In fact on the two occasions I had to visit the front desk the employees were very helpful and quick. The hotel seemed pretty empty; I suspect that was due to the time of year. Our Jacuzzi room was huge and clean. I would estimate that it was about 300-400 square feet. We had a king size bed, a couch, a big cushy chair, a coffee table, an end table, two bedside tables and a chest of drawers on which the TV was placed in addition to the usual refriderator, microwave, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. Everything worked except for one light bulb. The bathroom included a 4 foot deep jacuzzi tub, a stand up shower and a double sink and enough open floor space to park a car.

On the down side there was no pool and it seemed that their restaurant is closed at this time for whatever reason. The biggest problem, however, was the lounge appended to the hotel. They attract what seems to be everyone in Hagerstown Friday and Saturday night and they play music with strong, loud baselines until around 2am. Our hotel room was facing the lounge so our enormous window allowed in a lot of noise. I'd recommend asking for a room on the other side of the hotel. I can only assume that the lounge keeps the hotel financially stable during the off season, so they just let it run wild.

Overall a good hotel with a lot of potential obviously being held back by the economy and the fact that it is located in Hagerstown instead of Baltimore. You get the vibe that this place was the greatest hotel in town back in the 70s, but now it's just a pretty good place to stay in Hagerstown.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rlwfish
Delaware
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I arrived later during the evening. Reception was fine. However no place to eat in hotel (closed early). Room was clear, outdated but safe.
Needed to leave early in morning but no breakfast. Not even coffee. I was given credit on my bill and the front desk clerk did clear the snow off my car. If you need a quick place to sleep and not eat, this is fine.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business