WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Pretty nice hotel, but not exactly what they make it out to be.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center

BEST WESTERN Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Greenbelt, Maryland
“Pretty nice hotel, but not exactly what they make it out to be.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

Finding the hotel was easy, as was check in. In fact on the two occasions I had to visit the front desk the employees were very helpful and quick. The hotel seemed pretty empty; I suspect that was due to the time of year. Our Jacuzzi room was huge and clean. I would estimate that it was about 300-400 square feet. We had a king size bed, a couch, a big cushy chair, a coffee table, an end table, two bedside tables and a chest of drawers on which the TV was placed in addition to the usual refriderator, microwave, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. Everything worked except for one light bulb. The bathroom included a 4 foot deep jacuzzi tub, a stand up shower and a double sink and enough open floor space to park a car.

On the down side there was no pool and it seemed that their restaurant is closed at this time for whatever reason. The biggest problem, however, was the lounge appended to the hotel. They attract what seems to be everyone in Hagerstown Friday and Saturday night and they play music with strong, loud baselines until around 2am. Our hotel room was facing the lounge so our enormous window allowed in a lot of noise. I'd recommend asking for a room on the other side of the hotel. I can only assume that the lounge keeps the hotel financially stable during the off season, so they just let it run wild.

Overall a good hotel with a lot of potential obviously being held back by the economy and the fact that it is located in Hagerstown instead of Baltimore. You get the vibe that this place was the greatest hotel in town back in the 70s, but now it's just a pretty good place to stay in Hagerstown.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rlwfish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

I arrived later during the evening. Reception was fine. However no place to eat in hotel (closed early). Room was clear, outdated but safe.
Needed to leave early in morning but no breakfast. Not even coffee. I was given credit on my bill and the front desk clerk did clear the snow off my car. If you need a quick place to sleep and not eat, this is fine.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

Having seen the previous reviews, I was somewhat concerned at staying here. However, when we arrived, our room was spacious, reasonably appointed and most importantly, clean. While the front counter staff was not very knowledgeable about certain things, she was pleasant and very courteous.

The one flaw in our stay: a full breakfast was to be included with our room in the restaurant, however, the restaurant does not open till 9 a.m. by which time we were long gone. If breakfast is important and you need to be on the road or at a meeting earlier than 9, this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vacation_spec_007
WV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

There is nothing Grand or Venetian about this hotel. Our problems started the moment we walked through the door. The front desk clerk could not find our reservation. Then we found out that there was no pool, the spa was closed, and there was no breakfast buffet as promised. The hotel was full of bikers and truck drivers. The beds are 3 feet off of the ground - not fun when you have small children who can't even get on and off the beds to go to the bathroom. Our bathroom sink did not work. The wireless internet did not work anywhere in the hotel, and it cost $0.20/minute to use the business center. Every time I complained to the front desk clerk, he just said "the wireless internet is working just fine. My computer is working. I am not a technician." I was extremely disappointed in this hotel, which was even more disturbing after such a nice stay at the Franklin Park Suites in Columbus. If you are in the Hagerstown area, stay somewhere else.... anywhere else... and don't even THINK about planning a wedding here...

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank UStravelerWv

Travelers are raving about these Hagerstown hotels

Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2006

My family and I had a terrible experience at this hotel in August 2006. We had reserved our room the month before and received a confirmation stating that the rate included a continental breakfast, and that the hotel's amenities included a heated indoor pool. By the time we arrived several weeks later, neither was true. Apparently, the hotel has a new owner and no longer offers a breakfast of any kind, and the pool is closed indefinitely. Despite the fact that the hotel had our name, telephone number, mailing address, and e-mail address, we were not advised of these changes before our arrival, nor was the rate were paid adjusted in any way. For those who are budget conscious, as we were on this trip, having a free breakfast matters a great deal. Had we known otherwise, we would have stayed at any number of other hotels in town. We tried to speak with a manager about what we considered false advertising, but none were available either on the evening we checked in, or the morning we checked out. In fact, the young woman manning the reception desk spent much of her time on a cell phone call, talking with her boyfriend about how he had been kicked out of his apartment and the locks changed. Not exactly professional behavior! The following week, the hotel sent us a letter of "apology," but it was nothing more than a form letter addressed to "dear valued guest," signed by no one! We contacted the national offices of Best Western customer service by phone and they offered us a $40 gift certificate because they agreed that the hotel's service and response to our complaint had been shoddy. While I admire the Best Western chain for treating us fairly, I would strongly advise readers to stay away from this member hotel!!!!!

• Liked — The room was nice, even though the carpet needed vacuuming
  • Disliked — Failed to provide amenities that were promised at time of reservation
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
5 Thank VT_Professor
dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2006

I travel to Hagerstown once a month for several years. I have stayed in most of the Hotels in Hagerstown, and this has to be the most pleasent all around. The family that runs this hotel is warm and acommodating, and this physical aspects of the hotel are very aesthetic. The rooms are large, the bed was especially comfortable, and the room had a microwave and refrigerator and coffee maker. The room was spotless. The Perkins restaurant is also a gem-good food, good prices, great service. I will make this my "go to" hotel while in Hagerstown. Previously I would stay at The Hampton Inn, a very nice place, but for my money the Grand Venice is far superior.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank just4me
Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2006

Spacious room (think it was a superior of some sort, but no jacuzzi), good bed, better room than motel standard. Renovated room was promised, but we got an old, smoked-in one, as the floor was not finished. Probably is ny now. No big problems, we were happy to sleep there for a night. Plenty of the usual highway restaurants a few minutes drive away.

• Stayed April 2005