“I was skeptical”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Middle River MD
“I was skeptical”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I had read the reviews but know that not everyone is as used to traveling as me. I have traveled for business for over 25 years and have stayed in all types of hotels along the way. Husband and I were staying overnight after attending the Western Maryland Blues Festival, just a short walk away. We booked this hotel because it was the closest to the venue and did not want to drive after a day of music, sun and beer!
We had checked in early in the day but did not go to the room. We just walked straight to the show. When we got back, about 10:30 PM, we went to the room, opened the door, only to find it was occupied. We went back down to the front desk. Agent was nice as can be and offered to upgrade our room to an executive room w/a jacuzzi tub. I declined, but we did get an upgrade of some sort.

I was not pleased. The room did not smell but the shower and toilet just did not seem clean. I grabbed a small bar of guest soap on the counter and although unopened, the nasty water marks on the wrapping made it look like it had been dropped in the toilet, at the least it was wet and had sat for a while. The whole room looked like it had not been used in a while, sort of dusty and the toilet was not clean. I did not take a shower but husband took one that night and another in the morning.

In the morning I went to grab a coffee and tea in the "breakfast room". It was not well organized and there was no on there to keep the tables clean, refresh supplies, etc. I grabbed a yogurt for my husband but did not eat anything.

I guess the thing that really put me over the edge was the view out our room. Our window overlooked the pool. It was a green/brown, yucky mess. Not sure what was us w/that.

Just not sure what to say about this place. It just creeped me out.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay while in Hagerstown. I would recommend (and will) to anyone coming to this area. When you go to a hotel the number one would be a proper welcome and a caring staff. Victor, the front desk manager was superb! He was so friendly and competent that I cannot thank the Best Western group enough. Also thanks to Vic and Amanda, and Calvin. (Sorry I may have wrong name of the lovely girl at front desk)

We are observant Jewish and all of the staff was especially nice to open the electronic door for us (especially Victor.) Additionally they really made us welcome alway's with a warm smile and hello. (How much more can you ask for?) BTW- the rooms were big and nice-the beds were comfortable, they had a nice size in room refrigerator.

I do hope if the management see's these comments-they will do something nice for the lovely people who are running this hotel.

Room Tip: just tell the front desk- they are great!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 25, 2011

This hotel is close to Municipal Stadium, home of the local minor league baseball team. That was the reason we selected it. The place is old and ugly. Buckets and trash cans were set up in the lobby to catch water flooding from the ceiling. The paint in our bathroom was cracked and peeling off the wall. The carpets in the room were not vacuumed except in the center, so there was dust and dirt on the floor along every wall. The bed and bathroom linens were clean and nicely set. The staff was adequate, no more. At least it's cheap. You really do get what you pay for.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Vik201, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hagerstown, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am a manager at the Best Western Grand Venice Hotel. I was disappointed reading your review because we pride ourselves on our ability to make each guest feel like this hotel is their home away from home. As a Best Western and a family-run property, we seek to make each guest's stay excellent. To demonstrate how important each guest is, the management printed out your review for the housekeepers so they were aware of how their short-comings can impact a guest's stay. We have already taken steps with our front desk, housekeeping and maintenance crew to ensure that guest satisfaction remains our top concerns. As for the buckets in the lobby, our hotel roof was being repaired because of roof damage during a wind storm (our roof has been fixed). I would love to discuss ways the hotel has taken steps to address your complaints, and moreover I would like to rectify this situation so that you would consider staying with us in the future. We value your business and would like an opportunity to show you. Please contact the hotel so that we can right your wrong.

The Grand Venice Hotel Management

Travelers are raving about these Hagerstown hotels

Lviv
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I've stayed here numerous times and each time it seems to be getting better and better. The breakfast has improved 100% as well as the rooms being updated. The staff is very accomodating and willing to go the extra mile to make my stay comfortable.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Lviv, Ukraine
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I enjoyed my stay. Hotel was clean and very accommodating. The room I had was with a single king size bed. The staff was very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lubenchenko
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We selected this hotel for our out of town guests to stay for our reception and were very pleased. The hotel is a little older and the furnishings are a bit dated and dark. But the hotel was very neat and clean. There isn't a pool or restaurant at the hotel - but both of those were overcome by the amazing service provided by the staff. My wedding guests were staying at the hotel and staff provided us with tons of support to ensure everyone had a great time. They let me use the office computer to print some seat assignment cards that were missing. They let us use the onsite refrigerator to store items for a lunch we were having in the hospitality suite. They went out of thier way to accommodate any and all requests made by our guests and were very gracious about it.

• Stayed February 2011
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2011

This Hotel is located near the downtown area, restaurants, stores, fast food, The hotel had great customer service agents. The room was well cleaned, spacious with comfortable bed. The lobby was large. They also had free continental breakfast. There were some renovations being done on the hotel at the time, but the overall stay was excellent.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business