“Misses the mark” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of LJ’s Restaurant - CLOSED

LJ’s Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Eastern Blvd.
Ashburn, Virginia
“Misses the mark”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

My love and I visited Hagerstown for a show at the Maryland Theater and found the ratings for this restaurant to be quite high. Perhaps our expectations were too high. The ambiance is nice. Our waiter was fair overall. We had a cheese platter for a starter and were disappointed as it was a couple hunks of cheese lazily thrown on a plate with a few bread croutons. The cheese itself was quite tasty, but the presentation was poor. We ordered a bottle of Santa Margarita wine which is normally a $20 bottle at the store. When the bill came it was a $60 purchase. Our two entrees were fair at best.

I would not go back or recommend this to our friends or family.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Couplefortravel

Merry Hill, North Carolina
“Hit and Miss”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

LJ's is a good restaurant for a change of venue. October was there French cuisine menu, but it's considered American. Regardless, their portion size is definitely French - small & pricey. Nice touch was when I ordered a cocktail it was shaken and poured into my glass tableside and the crepes for dessert was also assembled on a rolling cart next to our table.
The service was attentive, but forced. Everyone was pleasant enough, but it didn't seem like they wanted to be there, rather, just collecting a paycheck. The homemade rolls and honey-truffle butter was very good, but inadequate. My main course was the Beef Burgundy which presented well, but was salty. If you're paying $28 for one short rib w/ vegetables it better be spectacular...
The best was their homemade ice cream, again, only 3 small melon ball scoops, but really creamy, smooth and tasty. Finally, as we were leaving the hostess was nowhere to be found and we had to go into the coat closet to retrieve our jackets - - - just saved us an extra tip.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hagerstown, MD
“Great drinks, poor French food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We'd heard good things and went in with high expectations. YJ's is a bit out of the way, hidden amongst medical offices, but the interior is nicely appointed and very modern-looking. When we saw the menu, we were excited to find French food in Hagerstown. But when our waiter told us that this was the French bistro incarnation of their seasonally rotating menu, I became worried. French cooking is not for the uninitiated, and can be done very badly.

We started with cocktails; I with a Stray Kat (dirty martini) and my wife with a Cheshire Kat (something with absinthe). Both were excellent. Our appetizer was a selection of three cheeses, served with crostini. These were excellent, but the portion was tiny for $12. My entree was the cassoulet; basically a French meat & bean stew. It was topped with bread crumbs that were as dry as the Sahara desert. The interior was very beany, but not very meaty. My wife's duck breast was also okay, but none of it blew our socks off.

The service was good. With a glass of wine, our bill was about $100 (after adjusting for the fact they charged us $15 for our $12 cheese plate that only had about $8 worth of cheese on it). That's a lot for great cocktails, okay wine, too-little cheese, and so-so entrees. We might go back when the menu changes, but this price-to-quality ratio might make us think twice.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris L
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
“Premium food and average service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

the food portions are not large, but fixed with such flavour and visual appeal that one leaves feeling satisfied. Again, average service. Don't know where wait staff diseappers to when needed.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank chrissykulp
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We have been here several times, and have never been dissapointed. My wide got the filet, which was amazing. An I ordered the red snapper. Everything from the salad to dessert wine was perfect.

My only complaint is the atmosphere. The dining room could be a little bigger and allow for more privacy.