“Great place for lunch”

Safron Bakery
Ranked #2 of 6 Bakeries in Hagerstown
Cuisines: French
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've eaten at Safron several times but I think this is only my 2nd review. I went there for lunch today and had a wonderful experience that I felt I should share.

I ordered the chicken pesto panini (sans tomatoes), a coffee, and one of their cream-filled pastries. After I placed my order and paid, I easily found a free table next to the large windows and settled in with a book. I really enjoy the atmosphere there; it's comfy with booths and tables, a lot of natural light, and soft music playing in the background. It's not ideal for large parties as there's not much room to put more than 2 or 3 tables together - which would seat 6.

They delivered my order to me at the table. The self-serve coffee was fresh and hot; they had three varieties on tap which is pretty consistent with the other times I've been there. The panini was hot and delicious. The bread was golden and crispy on the outside and warm and supple on the inside. The flavors of the ingredients were delightful: fresh sliced chicken breast, pesto mayonnaise, red onions, spinach, melted provolone, all topped off with a vinaigrette.

I saved the cream-filled pastry for last, to be enjoyed with my coffee. I supposed it might have been called a cream horn. It was about 6" or 7" long and 2" in diameter. The dough was golden and flaky on the outside and a little chewy on the inside; it almost reminded me of a croissant type of dough. Then there was the cream filling. The silky, smooth white cream had just the right amount of sweetness to it. It was actually quite mild and fluffy. Some creams can be grainy, but not this one. This was more like mousse.

I cannot say enough good things about Safron's savories, sweets, staff, and space. It's all good and has been every single time I've been there. I highly recommend making a trip to the east side of the city to indulge your taste buds!

1  Thank jzamostny