“Best Fried Chicken I've Had In Awhile”

The Georgia Boy Cafe at Park Circle
Cuisines: American, African
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My wife and I went to Georgia Boy's a couple days ago and the food was awesome! We ordered the Hot Crab Dip and it was great..the cheese on top could have been melted a little more but it had great taste. I got the three piece fried chicken meal with mac & cheese and greens. It was all good. The chicken was super moist...even the chicken breast. It was oozing with tasty juices. The mac&cheese was decent except the top cheese kinda held together some of it so I had to separate it. The greens were good...couldn't tell if it was homemade or canned. My wife got the chicken and waffles and she absolutely loved it! I wanna go back and try the other menu options. The only downside is they don't have their liquor license right now and half the lights were going off for some reason. Also, not hating or anything and I understand why but, one of the waitresses had her young son there and he was acting somewhat rowdy and was kind of loud. I would prefer not to hear all that but it doesn't mar my view of The Georgia Boy Cafe. The prices were good and interior def looks awesome!

2  Thank Jordan G

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Although the dining room was empty on a Saturday at 1 pm, the service was exceptional and the food outstanding! The fried chicken was so tasty and moist! I usually like dark meat because of white meat always being so dry, but this was not at all! I cleaned my plate! 3 piece chicken meal and 2 sides for $11 was a great price for me! I plan to return again in the near future and may even go for an appetizer and dessert meal next time :)

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

A group of ten went to Georgia boys cafe on December 22nd to celebrate Christmas. Some of us had dined there before. I had seen the restaurant impossible episode which piqued my interest. The food and service was excellent. For appetizers we had alligator, crawfish, pork skins, crab dip and fried green tomatoes. All were great and served hot. The entrees at the table included: ribs, catfish, shrimp and grits. All the meals received rave reviews. The prices are very reasonable as well as the portions. My bill including two entrees, soft drinks, two appetizers and 1 dessert and taxes was $52. As we were leaving one of the owners stopped at our table and talked with us. He talked about trying a Gospel Brunch in the near future and bring back the waffle fries. You could do a whole lot worse in finding a place to eat.

1  Thank Douglas63
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I - along with obviously lots of other folks - had seen the Restaurant Impossible makeover of this place, and as I live in rural PA and very few restaurants on that show ever turn up anywhere near here, thought I'd check it out when next I was in Hagerstown. Arrived at 11:35 for lunch only to find they didn't open until noon. As I wasn't on a tight schedule, and had some chores I could do in the car, I decided to wait. Glad I did. I was the first customer in the door, and greeted by a very friendly waitress named Jo (or maybe Jill? not sure). Had decided on based on other reviews to try the fried chicken, but while the waitress was quick to point out that I could substitute any side I wanted, when I asked for all dark meat chicken instead of a breast and leg and wing, was told they couldn't do that. Bummer, as I don't care for white meat. Settled on the southern fried pork chop which was excellent! and substituted collard greens for the apple chutney. The collards, and accompanying mashed potatoes, were delicious. I don't think I've ever had better mashed potatoes in a restaurant. It's a bit pricey - my meal, with no extras (I drank water with lemon, no starter and no dessert) was nearly $15. Except for the pork rinds, most starters were in the $6 to $7 range, entrees ranged from $11 to I think $23 for the crab cakes (could be wrong on that). If the place were a bit nicer, the prices would seem more appropriate. The décor done by Restaurant Impossible is pleasant, but not a knock-out. The floor shows signs of buckling in places ... and this may be weird for a review, but the stalls in the women's restroom were so short that you risk banging your head on the door when you rise from the toilet :-)

All these things considered, I'd go back again - if I happened to be in this neighborhood. As one reviewer pointed out, it is very near the Fine Arts Museum, which is a treasure unto itself!

3  Thank Barbara H
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Two couples dined here 12/7/13. One couple had been here before and highly recommended it.
The waitress could not tell us about the on-tap beers other than their names so who of went to the bar and talked to the bartender. They could improve here. Other than that, our waitress was attentive and very pleasant and knew the food menu.

The excellent menu is NOT overcrowded. Go to their website and the pics there accurately show each dish.

Fried Chicken ($11) was great. Mashed potatoes (w/gravy!) was substituted for the coleslaw and they weren't from a box. Under the crust on the Chicken Pot Pie ($12) was large chunks of chicken, vegetables - outstanding. Chicken & Waffles ($13) was outstanding; the waffles were "Belgium style" and were light, covered with chicken. The Ribs ($15) were described as "wonderful", lean and done exactly right, served with mac/cheese and collards.

We started with Fried Green Tomatoes - one of the best we've had ($7), beautifully presented. Don't ignore the Fried Pork Rinds ($4) - a real treat (we had ours with Bay Seasoning).

To finish we order one Peach Cobbler with 4 spoons. It was served in a large soup bowl! Great Cobbler with a large scoop of bourbon ice cream.

The restaurant was the subject of The Restaurant Impossible TV show, apparently aired in November '13. The interesting fact is that not one of the menu items was re-done! The only "change" was a method for lessening the time for the Fried Chicken (apparently used to take 25-30 minutes).

Will we return? YOU BET!