“Non-Existant Ambiance but Good Food and Service”

The Georgia Boy Cafe at Park Circle
Cuisines: American, African
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Hagerstown, Maryland
“Non-Existant Ambiance but Good Food and Service”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I decided to give this place a try last night. The outside looks like a dive bar, and once inside, the lack of any decor doesn't do anything to quell fears of being served subpar food. Seriously, there is lots of brown paneling and a long mirrored wall, and that's about it. The ambiance created is blah and the place needs a major overhaul. However, I can't vote this restaurant down, as the food is really, really delicious.

Starting off with side salads, my husband and I were both very happy to see nary a shred of iceberg lettuce. Instead, there was a nice mix of spinach, red lettuce, romaine and other field greens. Shredded cheese, grape tomatoes, onion - the toppings were standard and adequate. The dressing was served on the side - both of us received two little cups of ranch, instead of the standard one. This was surprising, and ultimately unneeded, as the amount in the first container was adequate for each of us.

I ordered the ribs, which were meaty and the BBQ sauce was very good. The meat fell off the bones, as good ribs should do. The meal came with two sides, and I chose the mashed sweet potatoes and the baked beans. I would recommend both to anyone, and would order them again!

My husband ordered the 2-piece fried chicken, with mashed sweet potatoes and Mac and cheese. He said the fried chicken was more liked breasted chicken - it was not greasy at all. He liked everything. The Mac and cheese was not overly cheesy, most of the cheese was baked on top, but I believe that is definitely a personal preference. My husband said no complaints from him!

The only food-related complaint I had myself, is that the included cornbread muffin was very bland. I tried two bites and passed it across the table to my husband to eat. He said they were fine. Again, personal preference, I only like sweet cornbread, I guess!

Service at this location was excellent. We were seated quickly and the courses were served with perfect timing. At no point did we feel neglected by our waitress, nor did we feel interrupted or harassed by her.

So, 5 stars. I only wish they'd get some ambiance!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Holly4

“Fried chicken heaven”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had a small group meeting here on a Sunday afternoon and my first reaction was, "is there anyone here?" Granted, they had *just* opened at 1PM and I was walking in at 1:05PM but I still expected to either be greeted and shown to a table or to read a sign that instructed me to seat myself. Neither of which was the case. After poking my head around some seating areas a lovely woman noticed me and asked if I had been helped yet and she promptly showed me to a table - bench and chair style seating. The benches were a little tall compared to the table's height leaving only 2-3 inches of room between the table and the tops of my legs so, I wasn't able to comfortably rest my arms on the table without being severely hunched over.

The wait staff were very attentive and good at reading table cues - knowing when to come take orders or when to wait on refills. However, the two gentleman I was with wanted to know which beers were on tap and the woman who seated me originally was not well versed in their bar selections to the point where they had to walk over to the bar themselves to find out what was available. The waitress who took over was excellent and well-informed.

The menu is quite large - you can view it on their website - and they have some delicious southern options like shrimp and grits, cornbread, and of course, fried chicken. I opted for the fried chicken wing dinner which comes with cornbread and two sides (I had the coleslaw and potato salad). They make their fried chicken to-order so, they tell you on the menu to allow 25 minutes for any friend chicken entrees. Let me tell you right now, it is worth the wait. Served piping hot, the chicken skin is fried up crunchy, salty, and dry - not greasy! The chicken is melt-in-your-mouth juicy and bursting with flavor. And the size of the wings is nothing to scoff at. They're large and meaty; I was full after eating 3-4 of them but they do hold up well as leftovers.

I wasn't impressed with the potato salad. I found it to be quite bland. The cornbread was disappointing, too. The flavor was wonderful but it wasn't hot and it was a little drier than I prefer - very crumbly. The coleslaw, however, was wonderful! The cabbage is coarsely cut and the dressing is just the right balance of creamy and sweet. It's cold and crunchy and refreshing and the perfect accompaniment to the chicken.

The atmosphere is very no-frills which was fine by me. I wasn't there for the atmosphere. The lighting was dimmer than I'd normally expect to find in eating establishments at 1PM on a Sunday afternoon but it made it seem cozy and comfy. There was music playing at just the right volume. It's a great place to go for business meetings and I'd love to go back with friends and family. They do have a large back room for private groups.

All in all, I'd highly recommend Georgia Boy's and I plan on going back there myself!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank jzamostny
Hagerstown, Maryland
“Average, but would return”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My fiance and I decided to eat here on a whim. He got a burger (Chipotle Pepperjack) and I got the Chicken Chesapeake with Collard Greens and Mac & Cheese. The chicken was rather small compared to the amount of crab dip topping and cheese it was covered under. However it was cooked well, juicy and tender. The dip was highly cream cheese, but tasted delicious. The Mac & Cheese was not tasty but not saucy like many mac & cheeses. I actually thought it could use a little more cheese to it. I have no comment on the greens as this was my first time eating them, so I have nothing to compare to. The burger was juicy and tasty, as well as a good size. We didn't get any dessert, but they looked good and other around us seemed to enjoy them. I did like that they have a happy hour drink special from 4-7pm. The service was good for the fact that the poor guy was tending the bar, serving tables, busing, and hosting all at once. Overall I would go back, but it wouldn't be my first choice in Hagerstown, but is a decent one nonetheless.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank JacksonJeep
Princess Anne
“Great southern food, great hospitality”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Husband and I had dinner here last night since we were in town for the blues festival. It's just plain great. If you like great southern food and a warm atmosphere, this is the place. It'll win no awards for chic decor, but it has all of the essentials including a bar to hang out before, after or during your meal! Food was amazing- real home cooking with just enough variety on the menu to appeal to a fussier gourmet without putting on airs. Everything was delicious and served up with generosity. And everyone there, bartender, servers and DJ, made us feel like our moms were taking care of us! We loved it.

• Visited June 2012