“Give it another try”

Ranked #13 of 272 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: This is a new branch of the original restaurant in Williamsport, MD.
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

This place has been nicely renovated for being located in a strip mall. My entree was average, wouldn't order it again but my husband's entree was fantastic. The waitstaff seemed out of sync but otherwise polite and attentive. I'll give it another try.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this restaurant. The chef and owner is creative and he knows how to develop a good menu and his dishes are usually very good. However, when you talk to him about an issue such as service he doesn't seem very interested or concerned. His communication skills could be more developed. He communicates very clearly a "take it or leave it attitude." Some of his wait and bartender staff seem to walk around with a chip on their shoulder and smiles are often the exception not the rule. Also, some of them just don't know what they are doing. When you ask them a question, they get right up into your personal space without any inclination that they are making you feel very uncomfortable. If the owner was more sophisticated and his staff were reasonably sociable this would be a great restaurant.

2  Thank John M
Reviewed July 15, 2013

After reading some reviews, we made dinner reservations on line. We had to wait a while after being seated for our server. She introduced herself then quickly went off to take care of some other customers. Our server seemed friendly enough but she was obviously frazzled for whatever reason. There didn't appear to be much chemistry between the staff. The kitchen seemed to have a problem with keeping up the demand for fresh baked bread for the tables so there was another wait just for that. My wife ordered the swordfish which came with rice pilaf and steamed fresh vegetables. I ordered the seafood trio of shrimp, scallops, and swordfish. My dish also had the same sides as my wife's. Our meals were very good except a portion of my swordfish contained some sinew which made that part inedible. The steamed vegetable side consisted of carrots, snap peas, and brussel sprouts. Too many brussel sprouts in the mix, but steamed perfectly. I'm not sure we'd eat there again.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I ate at Black Eyed Susan's while it was in Williamsport area, and loved it. However, the new location was larger, but the noise level in this restaurant was unbearable. We could not hear the people in the same booth as us. The prices were high, and for $100, I'd expect a lot more for my money. I will NOT return.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our wait person perfected this visit with friends to BES. She's been with John Walla since the 1990s, was enthusiastic and personable. She had a thorough knowledge of menu and beverage offerings. The food, whole wheat pastas, salmon and others were fantastic. I usually have enough left over for a take out bag, but ate every bite. The wine list by glass isn't exhaustive; but fairly priced and our selections were fantastic!