“Too loud and not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Eyed Susan

Black Eyed Susan
Ranked #18 of 257 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: This is a new branch of the original restaurant in Williamsport, MD.
Keedysville, Maryland
“Too loud and not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I ate at Black Eyed Susan's while it was in Williamsport area, and loved it. However, the new location was larger, but the noise level in this restaurant was unbearable. We could not hear the people in the same booth as us. The prices were high, and for $100, I'd expect a lot more for my money. I will NOT return.

• Visited September 2012

Hagerstown, Maryland
“Our first visit to restaurant's new location. We were Wowed!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our wait person perfected this visit with friends to BES. She's been with John Walla since the 1990s, was enthusiastic and personable. She had a thorough knowledge of menu and beverage offerings. The food, whole wheat pastas, salmon and others were fantastic. I usually have enough left over for a take out bag, but ate every bite. The wine list by glass isn't exhaustive; but fairly priced and our selections were fantastic!

• Visited January 2013
Maryland
“Fancy food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I had lunch there today. The food was good. Definately chef prepared, fresh and flavorful. It was a little to dark and and the air from the door was very unenjoyable. And we were as far as you could get from it. The wait staff seamed out of step with each other and sloppy looking for the price and quality of the resturant. But I will go back to try the different dishes. When it's warmer.

“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

It was "okay". It's hard to find adjectives swinging beyond average. The server was friendly but slow. Medium meant more like rare with my burger which is okay because I'd rather be under than over. The value was just okay. For a burger and chips it was more expensive than another popular place less than a mile away. It's a shopping center restaurant and that's pretty much what you get. Nothing was bad but nothing stood out as exceptional.

Hagerstown, Maryland
“Consistently good food; variable service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I've eaten at BES three times now and each time the food has been delicious, beautiful, and satisfying. I'd highly recommend the gourmet grilled cheese and the coleslaw - it's the best coleslaw I've ever had; it's creamy but not heavy, the cabbage is finely shredded and crispy, and it has a refreshingly fruity sweetness to it. The Greek salad and the goat cheese fritters are also worth trying.

The food is pricey for the geographic area in which the restaurant is located but this is definitely a "pay for quality not for quantity" type of location. It's not as severe as a tapas restaurant might be but hopefully you get the idea.

I really like the atmosphere of the restaurant; the layout and the lighting provide a social yet potentially intimate setting. There is a divider separating the bar area from the dining area which is nice but doesn't do much to muffle the sound. On some evenings there is live music which is fun - especially a nice change during the holiday season when one might want a break from Jingle Bells and Deck the Halls. In the winter months the restaurant can be a little chilly so, dress warmly!

Service has been the one and only area where I could say BES has room for improvement. Maybe it's a personal preference but I appreciate a warm and friendly waiter/waitress as much as I appreciate his/her attentiveness and punctuality. BES staff do not lack in the attentiveness and punctuality area but they come off as a little cold. It'd be nice if they could try to establish some kind of relationship with their customers with whom they'll be working for the next 45 minutes to an hour. It would make for better tips, at least from me.

In the end, I'd recommend giving BES a try; the food is delicious, it's in a convenient location with ample parking plus it's right next to a library! Go have a tasty lunch and then go check out some DVDs and books and snuggle in for a cold winter's evening.

• Visited December 2012