“Smelled like cigarettes” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
East Freetown, Massachusetts
“Smelled like cigarettes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

Like I wrote in another review, I stayed in a non-smoking room but it smelled like cigs! This place made me feel a lot safer than in Jersey. The room was very clean, there were pamphlets about area attractions, just a lot more of a hotel setting than some seedy joint. The bathroom was very clean and spacious and you can't beat the cost, it was only $49! I just stopped in on my way home from a long road trip for a nap but I'd do it again if I had to.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jeanalyon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

I had to make a last minute trip to Hagerstown for a meeting and while I can drive there from home thought it a better idea to arrive the night before, get some sleep, and be fresh for the meeting. It's a Motel 6 and not a Hilton/Sheraton/Marriott. I don't recall staying in a Motel 6 before so didn't know what to expect.

The room was clean, had an old school tube TV and a somewhat beat looking sink/counter area just outside the bathroom. There was a table and chair where I was able to get some work done. Internet is not free but I think it was about $4 for 24 hours. The towels are about the worst I have ever experienced in a motel/hotel. Small, I mean really small, and very coarse.

There were some less than desireable (from appearance) guests staying there and going back and forth between rooms but there was no problems and when it came time for me to hit the sack all was quiet.

Like I said in the title of this review, you get what you pay for. The room was $39.99 plus tax. I got a good nights sleep, though not the most comfortable bed, and that is all I was hoping for. One more thing, the staff was very nice....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

When rating a Motel 6, you have to remember that it's all relative: You really are ranking it against other Motel 6s and nothing else because in terms of "amenity avoidance," Motel 6 usually wins hands down.
That said, I have stayed in some good Motel 6s and I have stayed at some awful Motel 6s. This one, fortunately, falls in the former category, thankfully. When you stay at a Motel 6, you have the right to expect the following: A clean bed and a clean shower. That is all. You cannot guarantee the clientele that will show up, the location it will be in, or how plush the mattress will be. (Hint: It won't be plush.)
This particular Motel 6 sits a stone's throw away from a train tracks, where slow moving freight lumbered down the tracks, so if you are a snob about having total, unrequited silence, bring ear plugs or stay elsewhere. I simply turned on the room fan and the white noise easily drowned it out.
I got there late and left early, so for what I needed it for, it was fine. Wireless internet was a bargain compared to other places: $3.11 for 24 hours. After getting my money's worth, I showered, got into bed, and fell asleep. Yes, the sheets and towels are thin: this isn't the Hilton. But it doesn't cost like the Hilton either.
Overall, a good pit stop to grab some shut-eye for the night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank kabbagehead
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

It looked newly renovated and was a great way to spend time in the city without spending all of our money on sleeping. We were able to enjoy the city more for the money. Thanks

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PSIAE-I
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Motel 6 uses the term "Refreshed" on their website to give the impression that this property has been remodeled. While there has been some work done, the most important items have not been addressed. Namely, the cleanliness of the room, and the ODOR in the rooms. Everyone in our group had a smelly room. No exceptions.

Speaking of "refreshed," someone needs to refresh the front desk staff on basic customer service. The two ladies were slightly rude and argumentative, making the experience uncomfortable, when all we wanted to do was check our group in. We sent ALL the details regarding our group's needs 3 days ahead of time, ATTN: MANAGER, yet they were surprised about nearly everything we asked for.

Not only that, but they wanted to charge us the wrong rate. We have a corporate number with Motel 6 and they wouldn't extend that rate to us. I had to argue with them and show them the rate on my laptop before they would honor what we supposed to have.

We stay in ALL KINDS of hotels for business all year long, so we know what to expect from the various chains. This location may be a little better in some ways than many Motel 6's along the East Coast, but it wasn't worth it for us. Some of these other reviews are a little generous, in my opinion.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tromboned

Travelers are raving about these Hagerstown hotels

Prospect Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

This is a nice motel 6. Reasonably priced, has a pool and plenty of restaurants nearby. We stay there on our way to Pa several times a year and have always been satisfied.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Rome, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We had a very good stay at this Motel 6 in Hagerstown, MD. The staff was friendly and helpful with whatever we needed or asked for. Motel 6 was also reasonable priced and what we were looking for. It is within walking distance of the Valley Mall, if you wish to walk, and several well known restaurants. The hotel room was spacious and the beds comfortable. All we had to do was ask the front desk for information and they were very helpful in giving the information. I would defiantly recommend this place to those who wish to find a place that is reasonable priced, comfortable, and friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple