“Great pub food.” 4 of 5 stars

The Broad Axe Tavern
Ranked #48 of 242 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Great pub food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The shrimp nachos were awesome. Also enjoyed the fried ribs. Loved the atmosphere. Will be stopping back when I am in the area.

Visited April 2014

Hagerstown, Maryland
“The Axe is back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Finally a new owner, refurbished dining area and great menu. Meet there regularly with a large group of friends for conversation, drinks and food. A lot if fun, good wait staff, everyone very friendly!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Terry H
Hagerstown, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food. Nice staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

The food and staff were great. They have happy hour
And daily specials. Best in downtown Hagerstown.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank foodiereviewer30
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great atmosphere. Poor service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I've been a regular at the Broad Axe since moving to Hagerstown one year ago. While I love the location and the atmosphere, the service leaves something to be desired. This place has great bands on the weekend and a nice patio. The food is standard pub grub at a reasonable price. The draft beer selection is also nice. My big complaint, however, is the service. Whether the place is busy or slow, service always seems to be slow. The staff never seems to be welcoming and I had a horrible experience with the bartender, Kelly, this evening. She ruined my takeaway order this evening and actually blamed me for her mistakes. Most of the staff seems very unhappy and they primarily cater to local people and friends. It is not a welcoming environment for travellers or people new to town. I keep giving this establisment multiple chances, but there are other nice bars in the area which are more welcoming. The consistent neglect and poor treatment by a couple of members of the Broad Axe staff leads me to recommend nearby spots such as AVA, 28 South, Hempen Hill, or Benny's. With so many new choices in town, I prefer to spend my time and money where I feel welcomed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank R0bertG
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
“Great Place to Meet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

When a group of friends were going to meet to begin a 10 day vacation. 5 of us decided that Hagerstown would be a good place to meet to travel together for part of the trip. Another friend recommended the Broad Axe. What a good choice! We were there early afternoon so we had lunch. The food was delicious. We had several different things and everyone liked what they ordered. The owner and his helpers were very friendly. The building has been historically revamped and looks great as well as being very clean. It is a bar as well. We all would highly recommend it and even though we live a few hours away, we discussed that fact that we would probably make a trip again for something different to do.

• Visited January 2013