“Good but not great”

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Good but not great”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Overall we were quite pleased when we stayed here for one night while on vacation. The lobby was inviting and clean, and the employees were courteous and professional. The room itself was nicely appointed and the décor was modern and bright. The ceilings are quite high which adds to the feeling of being in a more spacious area. The beds were cushy and soft, with four pillows on each bed. Little things like that are always a nice touch. There were two phones, one by the bed and one on the desk. I’m not so sure so many phones were necessary, but hey it’s nice to have two. The mini-fridge and microwave were appreciated. There is an alarm clock if for some reason you don’t already have one on your cell phone or choose not to use that function. There is also an ironing board with an iron in the room. We do not have pets but read that pets are welcome.

We were situated on the first floor close to the swimming pool and fitness room. By the way, at the time of our visit, the fitness room was out of order because some of the equipment was not working properly. Not that I was crushed that I couldn’t go running 5 miles on the treadmill or anything. If you’re someone who feels compelled to exercise while away, this wouldn’t bode so well. For someone like me, though, this was just fine.

By far, the best feature was the breakfast in the morning. It was offered from about 6 AM until 10 or so, and we were impressed by the area where it was served as well as the presentation and selection of breakfast goodies. The dining area was spacious, clean, and inviting. It was just as easy to choose healthier breakfast food, such as eggs, bananas, oranges, and yogurt, as it was to indulge in other items such as cinnamon rolls, biscuits with gravy, and doughnuts. There was also cold cereal, and plenty of milk, tea, and coffee. Free newspapers were also offered.

If I had to be a bit nit-picky, there were a few things which were less than stellar. On the downside, I think the bathroom was a bit on the smaller side. The bathroom does not have a ventilation fan, so you will step out of the shower to a foggy mirror, and you should be aware that any strong smells coming from the bathroom (to put it delicately) will permeate the entire room. The in-room mini-coffee pot looked like it would have worked perfectly well, but it did have a broken lid and the pot itself looked well used. It wasn’t so bad that it was outright icky, but all the same I did not want to bother using it after seeing the condition. Also, the coffee I had from the breakfast bar in the morning made up for this. The two tea bags looked like several past patrons had picked them up, maybe inadvertently crinkling the paper in the process, then decided not to use them. I just got the overall feeling that if the previous occupant had not used any of the items, they were left for the next person. For most people, myself included, it’s no big deal, but someone with OCD concerning germs would probably not be too comfortable.

The A/C, while perfectly adequate, was not as ice cold as I would have liked. I like it so cold that I have to cover up with a light sheet with perhaps a toe or two peeking out. We adjusted the thermostat and it was very comfortably cold but not icy. We could hear conversations going on in the hallway later at night. I don’t think the people were being loud, nor was it a huge nuisance, but a small detail that the sound-proofing could be better. If anything, it reminded me to watch what I said as I walked down the halls since others would likely hear me. Finally, since we are not from this area, getting into and out of the hotel was slightly confusing. Fortunately, the Outback Steakhouse is within walking distance.

As a frugal person, (aka a tightwad), I don’t know that this was the best value. It was certainly nice enough but we paid the price. We would likely stay here again if we could somehow score a discount. For the money we paid, however, I expected just a little bit more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
steelers90, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hagerstown, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Thank You for your reponse it definitley helps us with improving our operation to make it better for our Guests. As the new General Manager at the Holiday Inn Express my main goal is Customer Service and to improve on a daily basis. Our Hotel just went over its 10 year mark and renovations to all the rooms are about to get underway with upgrading our bathrooms to include new exaust fans and upgrading our coffee pots. On behalf of the the Holiday Inn Express I sincerely hope you come back for other visits and I gaurentee your stay will be even better than before. Again thank you for your response and we hope to see you again soon.

Hagerstown, Md.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Holland, MI
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We spent one night here - just passing through on a long road trip. Our stay was great, the clerks were super friendly and breakfast was super. Doubt I'll ever go this way again, but I would stay again if needed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
We at the Holiday Inn Express are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and welcome you and your family back anytime. Our main mission is to ensure the comfort and relaxation of all our guests and we thank you for your wonderful feedback. We hope to have you all back someday and look forward to seeing you again.

Hagerstown, Md.
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Clean enough and really good check-in experience. Went downhill from there. Got back from my all-day meeting and the exercise bike (the only one) was broken. Looked forward to that "ride" all day. Desk clerk's response was, "thanks for telling me". Wow, wonder if that is how they are trained at Holiday Inn these days?

Best thing about this HI is the Outback Steak House within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
steelers90, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hagerstown, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
First on behalf of the Holiday Inn Express Hagerstown I would like to apologize for the bad experience you had during your stay. As the new General Manager my number one goal is Customer Service and I Ensure you training will be conducted on a weekly basis to ensure we answer all questions in a professional manner. We also since then have implemented all new equipment for our fitness center and again apologize for the the past inconvienience.

Hagerstown, Md
Maryland USA
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Unlike most of my stays, let me start by stating that I stayed on a weekend. The hotel was filled with travelers on the way back from FL and kids staying over for sporting events. Not the quietest of nights. Hotel next to Route 81 across the street from Outback and Buffalo Wild Wings. This hotel is 3 stories and I am certain this is a re-branded HIE, not built from the ground up.
Front desk check-in were nice but unimpressive. Hotel has an indoor pool, enclosed business center and nicely outfitted gym. Room was nothing spectacular but clean and bed was comfortable. Probably would stay somewhere else next time. They allow pets.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank panther61
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed April 20, 2011

The instant I walked through the lobby door, I felt welcomed by the front desk staff.

They quickly checked me in (no reservation) using my Priority Club card and gave me a small bag with a bottle of water and snacks for being a PC member.

The room was clean, spacious, quiet, and comfortable.

The continental breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express fare.

All in all, it was a very good experience and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Cherrylog, Georgia
Reviewed March 10, 2011

My extended family stayed in this hotel Mar.3-6, as a base for a family wedding. All in all, everything was great. Check in was flawless, even got a rollaway for my daughter's room. Loved the Priority Club goodie bags! Room was clean and spacious. The indoor pool was awesome; the biggest and nicest one I've ever seen, complete with sauna. My grands and grandneices and nephews loved it! The breakfast bar was outstanding; they even had my herbal teas. One morning we had ham as a choice; very upscale. Front desk was constantly asking if we had everthing we needed, and gave us directions to the nearest grocery. Helpful because we had micro and fridge in each room. Only problem so far that I hope will be resolved, is that although I gave my priority club #, when my children came in, they gave their own Priority club # , which messed up things; at this point we are not seeing points for 4 days stay. Also, the lobby is pretty well filled up after breakfast due to a travel sales event, and almost every table was occupied with folks selling. Had problems printing direction from business center..

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Was staying on the 3rd floor turned on light and cockroaches were on tv mantle and refrigerator. Complained to front desk and nothing was done about it. Had to sleep with light and tv on. Would not recommend this hotel until it has a thorough extermination done!

The pool area was nice and lobby but not my room!

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business