“Friendly, Indian Gem in Land of “Country Cooking”” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 239 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: Indian, Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Excellent little family restaruant with great food
Manassas, Virginia
“Friendly, Indian Gem in Land of “Country Cooking””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The Sitar of India is an oasis in a land of “meat and potatoes” and “family burger” restaurants. Conveniently located just off I-81 (Exit 5A), this restaurant features Northern Indian cuisine and rivals any Northern Virginia Indian establishment in London, Fairfax, or Arlington counties for quality, service, and ambiance.

Anyone in the Greater Hagerstown Area or traveling down I-81 would be well advised to sample its cooking that is both exotic but accessible to the Western palate and served in pleasant, friendly surroundings.

Because my wife and I wanted to sample multiple dishes but were unable to make the luncheon buffet, we tried the “Meat and Vegetable Thali”, a large, subdivided plate served at the table with a wide range of offerings: two chicken dishes, a lamb dish, yogurt (“riata”), vegetable, dessert, and two types of bread. A “Vegetarian Thali” is also available.

One can order food at 3 spice levels: mild, medium, and hot. The Thali also comes with free refills of tea or coffee. For starters, we also tried 2 homemade soups: coconut and lentil.

All the food and soups were delightfully tasty, well presented, and generously ample, prepared at the highest level and served by the owner. The décor transported us magically to an Eastern land without have to pay the air fare.

Hagerstown is fortunate to have such a “five star” restaurant, the only Indian one in the area. My wife and I hope that both the locals and travelers will give this top restaurant a try. You will be back again and again. We certainly will be “singing its praises” and want to return as soon as possible.

• Visited July 2014

Washington, DC
“Unexpectedly good Indian food in Hagerstown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We found Sitar from Trip Advisor, and we were happy we listened to others. Who knew that there was good Indian food here? Tandoori was very good, perfectly cooked but slightly underspiced. A pan fried shrimp dish was excellent, with an adequate number of perfectly cooked shrimp. Good bread too. Nice staff, and a pleasant meal all around.

• Visited June 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“5 stars from the Brits!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It takes a lot to impress us by way of Indian food since we were so spoiled for choice in England. So you can imagine our surprise when we went to Sitar of India and had one of the best Indian dinners ever! The Samosas were perfect, the tandori chicken appetizer was so moist and delicious, and all white meat I could have ordered more as my main entree. The lamb sagg, vindaloo, and curries we had were all incredible, and the naan--perfectly fluffy and delicious as well. Our service was attentive but not overbearing. The white linen table clothes were bleach white and crisp. Will return!

• Visited May 2014
Hagerstown, Maryland
“Sitar of India - 100% Absolutely Best Restaurant in Hagerstown, MD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to go out for authentic Indian cuisine. Sitar of India in Hagerstown, MD is a friendly, comfortable environment and the food was absolutely the best of any cuisine we have ever enjoyed. It appears to be a family-owned and operated establishment, and I can honestly say I have never enjoyed such a wonderful atmosphere or quality of delicious food anywhere before.

I am only sorry that five-stars is as high of a rating that you can provide to such a wonderful restaurant. Sitar of India deserves ten stars, by all means. We have enjoyed this restaurant on two separate occasions and intend to dine at Sitar of India again.

• Visited May 2014
vegwell
“Delightful Indian Buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I enjoy the Sitar of India much more than I do the Indian Restaurant in Winchester, VA. Food is very tasty, nice variety, plenty for vegetarians. I always find the place clean, and the owner friendly.

Visited April 2014