“Burgers & Trivia, YES!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hard Times Cafe - Hagerstown - CLOSED

Hard Times Cafe - Hagerstown
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Family friendly restaurant. Famous for our chilis: Texas, Terlingua, Cincinnati, and Vegetarian. The Texas grilled wings were voted best wings by WTOP listeners. Fresh 1/2 lb burgers with fresh cut fries. Steaks and slow cooked ribs too. Many salad selections. Something for everyone. Sports bar showing all the games all the time. Play billiards on any of the Brunswick billiard tables. Free billiards every day from 11am-5pm with minimum purchase. Live entertainment in the Cue every Friday and Saturday night. Large stage and viewing area.
“Burgers & Trivia, YES!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Not only are the burgers (Mondays only $5.99) thick, juicy, & yummy, but they play trivia on Monday nights! The host, Cliff, is awesome & a good time is had by all!

I've also had the chili sampler & various wings. All have been great tasting!

Friendly staff too!

Sharpsburg, Maryland
“Will never go back !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

This used to be one of our favorite places to eat but it has gone down hill horribly, we've had two bad experiences their recently and will not return . The staff hangs out by the serving area and chats while food waits to be severed. The last time we went they didn't put the ranch sauce on the Alamo chicken (which makes it taste like crap) and we told the waitress who had the lady manager come over and apologize and say that she would remove it from the bill. Well we got the bill and it was still on it . We will avoid like the plague !!

1 Thank Tmstotler72
Clear Spring, Maryland
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Met some friends for dinner and to stay for the band. I had never been there before, and was directed towards the back area where the pool tables, bar and stage are located. I arrived an hour before the band was scheduled to play. When I entered that area, a very large bouncer-type man stepped in front of me and told me there was a cover charge and that he needed to see my ID. Since I am 50-something, I felt he was very disrespectful, not because he asked for my ID, but due to the way stepped in front of me. He could've just as easily said "Excuse me Mam, there is a cover charge beyond this point." I tried to joke with him, but he didn't crack a smile. Had an image to keep up, I guess. Just in case I and my friends got out of control later in the evening (ha ha). I also feel a cover charge an hour before the band starts is just wrong. I don't think I will be going back.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank a1trvlagt
Lynnmd, Owner at Hard Times Cafe - Hagerstown, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am the local owner and am deeply sorry that our doorman treated you disrespectfully. He is very diligent about ensuring that the guests are over 21 in age and it is often difficult to judge someone's edge which is most likely why he asked for your ID. I have already spoken to him about this incident and to ensure that he treats all guest politely and professionally. I am grateful for your feedback as it assists us in continual improvement. I hope you visit us again.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Good food, great service, can't wait to go back.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our group was 3 adults, one teen, one child. Kids' menu was very reasonably priced; there were plenty of options; soda refills were included. The older members of the party stuck with burgers, chicken sandwich, and a chili dog. Chili samples came to the table and the server provided a description of each, so the chili dog eater could decide what kind would best complement the dog. The Whiskey River Barbecue burger and chicken sandwich were perfectly cooked, incredibly flavorful, and just messy enough to be fun. The bacon cheeseburger more than satisfied the teen in our group. (The burgers were priced at $5.99 as a kind of happy-hour special, so bonus there for the price point.) Appetizer onion rings came with a "petal sauce" that was nicely spiced and added flavor to the crispy rings.
Our server was friendly, personable, and attentive to our needs. She made the meal even more enjoyable.
We'll definitely visit next time we're in town.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great date night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decide to go check out Zach Meyers of Shinedown. We arrived to a line of people out the door so I knew it would be a bit crowded. I was not familiar with the band but love live music. We found some seats at the bar and waited for the show to start. While at the bar my husband asked for a beer and I asked the bartender to surprise me! She gave me a captain on acid, needless to say I had more than one. She was very attentive. We placed an order for food and it was very good. We got the bacon and cheese fries and the fish tacos. There was constant movement with staff in and around the bar. I noticed managers making sure the bar had supplies and approached us to make sure we were ok and even made me a drink and gave my husband another beer.

The atmosphere was laid back until the bands came. Being a small venue the music was acoustic and there were three openers(silver tongue) was the one we enjoyed the most. The feature act was Zachary Myers the lead guitarist from Shinedown. He was amazing. He had an ease and charisma on stage that was electric.

Overall I had a fantastic time and will defiantly go back.

Visited December 2013