New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Good bar b que place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hempen Hill BBQ Bar & Catering

Hempen Hill BBQ Bar & Catering
Ranked #3 of 244 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Good for: Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hempen Hill BBQ is independent-family owned offering award-winning Pit BBQ fused with a culinary twist for some real unique dishes including Vegetarian & Gluten-Free. A home to great Beer & Live Music! Kitchen Hours: Monday -Thursday 11am - 9pm Friday & Saturdays: 11am - 10pm Bar Hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00am - 11:00pm Fridays & Saturdays: 11:00am - 2:00am (BASED ON CROWD). *Sundays: Closed Important Reservation/Large Party Information: •The Party Room is available for groups of 24 maximum (no overflow into the Dining Room) •There is a 12 guest maximum at one table in the Dining Room (if you have more than 12 guests your party will be at separate tables). •A Manager will help you with making a reservation for parties of 8 or more. •A Manager will help you with making a reservation when we already have 100 guests on our books for the night. • A guest count will be confirmed for reservations – any guest over a confirmed count will not have a guaranteed seat. Hempen Hill BBQ was founded on a simple concept. Create awesome food, enjoy it with your favorite Pint in the company of friends. Oh yeah, and have FUN when ya do it!! So no surprise when you come into HHBBQ there’s a delicious aroma of BBQ floating around, AWESOME craft beers are on tap and a fun “Vibe” in the air. We are ALL ABOUT pushing the envelope so you’ll find out of the box things like Organic Liquors, Beers & Wines, Local Farm Fresh Veggies, great Vegetarian Dishes & Meatless Monday Dinner Deals, NO Foam boxes/cups … just to name a few. So stop in, Try the Award-winning “Q” grab a pint & enjoy! The idea of owning a restaurant has always been a dream of ours! We are known for countless parties at our home on “Hempen Hill” – Yes, named after a local brew, Hempen Ale, that we enjoyed while building our home. Our parties became a test kitchen of sorts to try out new ideas on friends/family. So late December of 2004 we took a leap of faith and formed HEMPEN HILL BBQ CATERING. After one short year of Catering success, we took yet another leap into a full service restaurant in October 2006. It is because of great staff, faithful regulars and awesome guests that Hempen Hill BBQ has become what it is today… The Place Where Locals go! Thanks for making our dreams into a reality. Cheers, Kathy & Jay Reeder Proprietors Hempen Hill BBQ
“Good bar b que place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We ate at Hempen Hill recently. I order stew and an appetizer that provided three different meets and my husband had the brisket. Our service was excellent. We were in and out in a jiffy. My stew was really good as was my appetizer although I definitely had enough meat for 2. Hubby raved about the brisket.

• 3 of 5 stars

“Family holiday party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

We love Hempen Hill so much that we had our annual family holiday party here. (They do have private rooms.) Our entire family(about 25 people) really enjoyed the food. The menu has a LOT of choices,which made everyone happy. Of course the barbecue is great, but there are many seafood options too.Everyone loved the food.Our waiter was awesome, he became an honorary member of the family.

raleigh nc
“Pretty darn good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

First visit on a recent trip to Hagerstown. Great big menu, good beer...lots of crab and seafood for this non BBQ eater! I got crab soup which was fabulous and scallops, also done well. Don't let the name/strip mall location fool you...very good menu, fun atmosphere.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Who would have ever guessed good BBQ in rural Maryland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I had to find a restaurant in Hagerstown for a business meeting with a potential new employee. Living over 150 miles away, I had no idea where to go, but I knew the food needed to be great in order to make the right impression of my firm. We hit a home run with Hempen Hill BBQ. It was located about five minutes off Interstate 81, and it had the type of menu that could satisfy the most arent BBQ fan. While not the high brow establishment one would consider for a business meal, the good and and friendly character of the entire staff more than made up for any white tablecloth kind of establishment. It accurately reflects our firm and provided the environment I was looking for that day. You have to try their salsa - it truly has a great smokey flavor. If you cannot decide what food direction to head - do not be afraid to try the sampler.

Hagerstown, Maryland
“Second trip, but never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Clearly, if you're not a regular, you don't rate the same service as those that are. We knew we'd be dining on a Friday night and I made reservations online on their site. Upon arriving, my brother, I and my four year old son told the hostess we were there and of our reservation. We were seated right away which was nice as they were on a wait. Where we were seated however wasn't that great as there was no light above us and a pole on one side. Not too terrible, but I like to see what I'm eating. Our server arrived quick enough to take our drink orders and acted amazed we wanted a minute more to decide on our food. We got our drinks when he returned about ten minutes later. Keep in mind that yes, they were busy, but not too busy for him to have been standing by the register and up at the bar for half of that time not doing anything as he was in eyesight. He took or orders and then the wait began...and dragged on and on. Our server meanwhile, took forever with extra napkins, drink refills and even checking on us but made sure the other three tables he had were attended to to the point of bother. Total we were in there for almost two hours. Most of that time was waiting for the server to bring things back, our food and then our check, and once he took that, my slip and card to be returned. Had we not had a $30 gift card to use, I would've been gone before our drinks arrived. My husband and I had eaten there a year before with our son and the service was wonderful, the food hot and smoked well and very tasty...this time, food was cold, the 'smoked' mac and cheese...not so smoky, in fact, it had barely any taste at all, even the taste of the cheese. The 1/2 chicken I ordered had to have been from a chick or one not much older as I can buy bigger halves in the grocey store. The take home meal for my husband was dismal and appaling as the amount of meat he received was no better than what we got on our plates in the restaurant. Between a child's meal, three adult meals, two sodas and two beers, our bill was over $70. NOT worth our money with what we were served and the quality of the same. Never again will I return, even if most of the meal is free.

• Visited April 2014