“Amazing live bands, great atmosphere, and the best wings on Earth!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hempen Hill BBQ Bar & Catering

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 239 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Vegetarian, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hempen Hill BBQ is independent-family owned offering award-winning Pit BBQ fused with a culinary twist for some real unique dishes including Vegetarian & Gluten-Free. A home to great Beer & Live Music! Kitchen Hours: Monday -Thursday 11am - 9pm Friday & Saturdays: 11am - 10pm Bar Hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00am - 11:00pm Fridays & Saturdays: 11:00am - 2:00am (BASED ON CROWD). *Sundays: Closed Important Reservation/Large Party Information: •The Party Room is available for groups of 24 maximum (no overflow into the Dining Room) •There is a 12 guest maximum at one table in the Dining Room (if you have more than 12 guests your party will be at separate tables). •A Manager will help you with making a reservation for parties of 8 or more. •A Manager will help you with making a reservation when we already have 100 guests on our books for the night. • A guest count will be confirmed for reservations – any guest over a confirmed count will not have a guaranteed seat. Hempen Hill BBQ was founded on a simple concept. Create awesome food, enjoy it with your favorite Pint in the company of friends. Oh yeah, and have FUN when ya do it!! So no surprise when you come into HHBBQ there’s a delicious aroma of BBQ floating around, AWESOME craft beers are on tap and a fun “Vibe” in the air. We are ALL ABOUT pushing the envelope so you’ll find out of the box things like Organic Liquors, Beers & Wines, Local Farm Fresh Veggies, great Vegetarian Dishes & Meatless Monday Dinner Deals, NO Foam boxes/cups … just to name a few. So stop in, Try the Award-winning “Q” grab a pint & enjoy! The idea of owning a restaurant has always been a dream of ours! We are known for countless parties at our home on “Hempen Hill” – Yes, named after a local brew, Hempen Ale, that we enjoyed while building our home. Our parties became a test kitchen of sorts to try out new ideas on friends/family. So late December of 2004 we took a leap of faith and formed HEMPEN HILL BBQ CATERING. After one short year of Catering success, we took yet another leap into a full service restaurant in October 2006. It is because of great staff, faithful regulars and awesome guests that Hempen Hill BBQ has become what it is today… The Place Where Locals go! Thanks for making our dreams into a reality. Cheers, Kathy & Jay Reeder Proprietors Hempen Hill BBQ
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing live bands, great atmosphere, and the best wings on Earth!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The best spot in Hagerstown! Hidden in the corner of a strip mall just outside of town, it took several months to discover this gem. If it weren't for websites such as Yelp I would have probably never discovered this place. Hempen Hill has a clean, casual, and open atmosphere. They have a great and constantly changing selection of beers on tap. Wednesday night is wing night and these guys have some of the best wings around. I consider myself an expert on wings after traveling the whole east coast and trying wings at multiple famous establishments. I recommend the smoked version of their wings with the unique buffalo sauce which is like no other.The only reason I give Hempen Hill four stars is because of its odd location and the lack of a patio. Their biggest drawback is with a few members of the bar staff who seem completely detached and never engage the customers. It's not the friendliest staff in town, but they are attentive, so I can't complain too much.Finally, one of the best things about Hempen Hill is the atmosphere. The bar and restaurant are very spacious. This place is also THE best place for live music on Saturday nights. The bands are always amazing and there's rarely a cover. I also love the clientele at Hempen Hill. This is probably the only place to get a drink in Hagerstown that doesn't have the feel of a sketchy dive bar. It caters to all ages, primarily young professionals.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our family of four went to this restaurant with big appetites and left absolutely satisfied. We arrived early around lunchtime on a Saturday. When we first got there, I had my reservations because the restaurant is in the middle of a plaza and doesn't look like much is going on from the outside. We had the restaurant mainly to ourselves, which also made me nervous, but happy at the same time! The service was excellent and the food was AMAZING! My husband got some sort of brie and turkey sandwich with sweet potato fries. My son got the mac n cheese kids meal, I got the quarter white meat chicken platter with the mac n cheese and sweet potato fries (I know, carb overload!). I can't recall what my daughter got, but I know that we were all thrilled with our food! We ended up sharing among ourselves because we all wanted to try with the other had. Prices were reasonable, decor was nice, and the restaurant was clean. We thought about going back with the soccer team the following day, but note - they are closed on Sundays! I'm still dreaming about that mac n cheese.... WELL worth the stop at this restaurant. I highly recommend it!

• Visited June 2013
Damascus, Maryland
“So good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My grandmother took me here for lunch the other day. I was pretty surprised to first learn it was a BBQ bar and grill but to walk in and see a stage etc was the icing on the cake. This place was fantastic!!! I got the Hempen Hill Dog with Potatoe Salad. I have never seen such a big hot dog in my entire life!!!!! This bar and grill was such a great find and I will definitely be returning, prefferably at night for some live music!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
“Best b-b-que, crab cakes...everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hempen Hills was recommended by our hotel...SO GLAD! Try the "Take a Trip" appetizer...so delicious and enough for two or more. Smoked meats are absolutely yum and so lean. I can't ignore the crab bisque and crab cakes...no fillers. The service was wonderful! Don't miss this's family-owned gem!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
“Great food. Rude staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Don't know why I keep going back to restaurant. Must be because they have the best barbecue and Mac and cheese but they have the rudest staff !
I think you have to pass some kind of rudeness test to even get a job there. They do a great business but only because they are the only act in town..look out if they ever get any competition. I will complain until the next time when I want some of there great barbecue and return, maybe someday they will hire someone who isn't so rude.

• Visited April 2013