“Needs some TLC”

Holiday Inn Express Kent Island
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Grasonville
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed on points. Not sure if we were given an older room since it was free, but we will not return or recommend. Clean, but worn out. Needs paint. Shower head and water pressure was terrible. Very disappointed. Other places much nicer in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kent Island, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Jeff C,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed one night, two rooms and our experience was flawless. Our reservation requests were agreed to when i booked the room and when we arrived, they went without a hitch. Great early check in, amazing room, enjoyed the pool. Hotel was clean and so convenient.

Can't beat the view if you are looking to relax.

The staff were the best!! everyone we came into contact with from Manager to housekeeping were friendly, professional and accommodating! Thank you!!
And overall Great Experience!

Room Tip: Had ajoining 109 and 111- couldn't be better!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a tough review to write, because I'll tell you what, I had really good service there from the desk, and they did their best accomodating me on a very busy weekend. That, and the outstanding lot behind the building facing the river and estuaries leading out to the bay, incredibly beautiful and serene.

But, it's a Holiday Inn, somewhat dressed up (remodeled-ish), but ultimately very average room wise with some serious nits about it.

I got in on a friday afternoon.. The staff was wound up with two wedding parties saying there arriving every minute, loads of people, and the hotel booked solid, more or less.

I had one night reserved, asked for a second if they had it, and they did. Not sure if it was from a cancellation, virtually ALL the travel booking sites online including Holiday Inn showed the hotel as sold out Saturday night before I got there, but they got me in and I was happy. And I was. I'm generally easy going, the room was in the front of the hotel facing the parking lot, and you couldnt hear any noise from where I was from traffic bearing down on Route 50 to make it to Ocean City for the weekend (or hauling buns home to DC or Baltimore after a vacation). I was kind of amazed I didn't hear anything, but I didn't. Ammenities were average for breakfast and the inner parts of the facility.

Actually, I'm being gracious. The room I got (room 116) was a handicapped accessible room that was available 2 nights, and it had seen better days and was (is?) in serious need of a makeover. There were big wrinkles in wall paper in the corners of the room, unusual stains or marks on the wall, looked like something had dripped down the wall (drywall and liquid dont mix) and stayed there, and the bathroom door looked... well, ok, I know it was a handicapped room, but people in wheelchairs have as much a right to nice rooms as anyone else right? The inside of the bathroom door was an absolute masacre, and thats being kind. But... the bathroom seemed clean despite the dinngy lighting, but I noticed there was not one free inch of shelf space in there, the sink had very small counter space, so my ditty bag when on the back of the toilet. Not optimum, but you make do. (Even the hotel-provided Kleenex box was propped up on one of the handicap railings next to the commode and kept falling off, and the one soap they had provided and the shampoo were on a tiny tiny little raised shelf above the towels. Not sure how someone was supposed to get at that stuff from a wheel chair, but I digress).

Lastly - and I swear I'm not trying to sound like I'm dumping on the hotel here, but there were some weird things: the bathroom door was on a self-closing hinge. I mean, really? There had to be a rationale for this, but I'm not sure what it was. It was a pain to me going in and out of it without a wheel chair, I cant imagine what kind of annoyance it would be with a chair or walker or..whatever.

A few ants had invaded the room apparently as guests of previous long-stay tenants, this could have happened anywhere, so I wont make a big deal about it. But on the face of that... when I asked for a can of Raid, they relocated me to a much nicer room Saturday night after a no-show friday night (who booked for 2 nights).

So, room 305, back side of the hotel, yay: gorgeous view (see the photo taken with my cell phone) (other photos taken with my camera).

Nicer amenities, better experience. Much nicer bathroom with alot of counter space.
I spent some time out back on on the little dock they had going over the water, took some nice photos of ducks and seagulls back there enjoying life, all was good.

So thats it, even the second nice room I got was ... an average hotel room, nothing overly special except that killer view (which... may have been worth the price just by itself, I gotta be honest!)

Last note for business type travelers and for Holiday Inn: you'd think in this day and age that when a hotel is going to offer free wifi (which was super, dont get me wrong this was a nice ammenity), that they'd have some better access to extra plugs -somewhere- around the desk or bed without having to rearrange the furniture and unplug other things like the unused coffee maker to charge my laptop. But noooo. So I moved stuff, swapped plugs periodically, etc.

Lastly: firm and soft pillows on the bed, two on each side. That was nice.
Overall? Average. Maybe a skinchy above average if you get a back room facing that excellent view. Parking lot side? Then it's just another hotel with a view of Rt 50. But hey, easy on, easy off, great access to Kent Island and Grasonville and surrounding turf. I had to jam back over the bridge to Annapolis to pick up something at Best Buy while I was there and it was an easy drive and a nice location to get in and out of.

You're going to pay an uplift for being on Kent Island to begin with, so expect that from any of the local places. Would I recommend this HIE? Yeahhh, I think so. But remember, it is what it is.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank blitzin
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kent Island, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear blitzin,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the condition of our facilities and the services you received. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen C

Reviewed September 14, 2012

we stayed at this property for two days labor day weekend and i must say i have never been so annoyed in my life at a property.the attitudes of the front desk staff for a hotel are on the lines of a beer n shot joint.they dont care and make fun about your problems.and to make it even more troubling is the mngmt team at this hotel sends you a generic email to make u feel good.with the problems i had i cannot recommend this hotel and furthermore i will steer clear of the ihg brand.enough said.

Room Tip: stay at the best western or hilton across the hwy
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jfantasy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kent Island, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Jfantasy,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our front desk which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I are locals in the area and paid a visit to the Holidy Inn Express looking for a venue to have our father's 70th birthday party. The lady at the front desk made us feel like a burden on her while we asked for prices, ect. She looked irritated and never once smiled. The way we were treated made no sense to us at all! We were a potential customer who was looking to spend at least 2k to the company for a party room, food and rooms. Oh well. A loss for them.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Emily56cl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kent Island, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Emily56cl,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the unacceptable service you received from our front desk staff. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Karen C

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding nearby. Most of the hotel was filled with guests of several bay front weddings. Needless to say, there were parties well into the night. The location is nice with a dock in the back and water views from all of the north facing rooms. The rooms were basic and a little run down, but an iron and coffee maker added a nice touch. The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer. We were even allowed to check in at 11 AM.

Room Tip: Water views are nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2012

You always know what you're getting with a Holiday Inn Express, and this hotel was no exception. Clean, great staff, good location, and a reasonable price for a high-demand month. But (in my very first review online), I want to compliment the guest services staff, particularly Miki Merritt, who went our of her way to provide extraordinary, above-and-beyond care and attention to our wedding party and guests. We had a block at the hotel for an August 2012 wedding at the nearby Chesapeake Bay Beach Club, with many friends and family from far and wide joining us. The bride and groom enjoyed the HIE's largest room (jacuzzi tub, king bed, waterview) -- and their view was truly beautiful of the protected watershed area behind the hotel! Miki catered to our every request -- before, during, and after our stay. We could not have asked for better care and attention! Thanks to the HIE and Miki for making our wedding memories even more special!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel give a lovely view of the watershed marsh and the hotel's gazebo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasonville
Hilton Garden Inn Kent Island
Best Western Kent Narrows Inn
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#4 of 4 in Grasonville
Waterfront Historic Kent Manor Inn
The Inn at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club
Fairfield Inn & Suites Easton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kent Island? Share your experiences!