“Eastern Shore Maryland”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grasonville
Richmond, VA
“Eastern Shore Maryland”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

The hotel was showing it's age. The halls smelled strongly of smoke. The bathtub was very stained and there were broken tiles.The elevator was very dirty!You can hear people walking upstairs and the highway noise was bothersome.

The breakfast was so- so. The eggs were so salty I could not eat them.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This Holiday Inn Express was like most I have visited -- very clean and well maintained. Check in and check out were simple. Breakfast was better than most other hotels of this caliber, actually being pretty tasty with everything being cooked just right. The rates here are more than hotels up the road a few miles, but this place is very central to many good restaurants and other amenities.

Room Tip: Book as far ahead as you can because a lot of events occur in this area throughout the year.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I'm an avid user of TripAdvisor and the reviews of the Holiday Inn Express, Kent Narrows, Grasonville, were excellent, just slightly better than the near-by Hilton Garden Inn. So I chose Holiday Inn Express (HIE).

The hotel has a pleasant, peaceful water-view in the back (facing North). If you want that view from your room be sure to ask about the availability. My room--108--faced the parking lot.

My room was very plain looking. One of the walls begged for a picture or something. I'm not a decorator, but neither was the person who outfitted this room.

The bathroom was typical for the chain, and quite clean, as was the room.

Breakfast was included, and I find HIE breakfasts entirely acceptable except for their scrambled eggs. HIE (the chain) never gets scrambled eggs right. I always opt for the hard-boiled eggs from the refrigerator.

Miki at the front desk was gracious from check-in to check-out. Other employees were helpful and friendly as well during this short stay. I commented to Miki before I left that she seemed to have a good clientele in her hotel. I had several conversations during my brief stay with interesting travelers, including guys attending a Paul Reed Smith Guitar "Experience" up the road.

Because of some personal scheduling reasons and my need to extend another day in this area, and HIE limited availability, I left HIE after a one-night stay and moved to the Hilton Garden Inn across the highway. I did not do this because of dissatisfaction with HIE.

Talk about a "wow" experience, I could not get over the improvements for only a slight rate increase (weekend rates). I moved from HIE's spartan room to the Hilton Garden Inn's two-queen suite with an amazing view of the water (just a few feet/yards away). My room at HGI includes a comfortable sofa, a matching stuffed chair, and ergonomic desk chair, two televisions, a sound machine (for sleep), and Neutrogena toilietries. The room is decorated well and pleasing to the eye. I also have a balcony with two chairs, and a indoor pool and hot tub. And a microwave and refrigerator!

Comparing room to room (HEI to HGI), there is no comparison. (Perhaps HEI had some rooms superior to the one I got, but I can only review what I experienced.)

Hilton Garden Inn does not include free breakfast.

If rates are reasonably close, I would encourage without hesitation that you book Hilton Garden Inn.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a water view room if that is important to you. Those book up first.
1 Thank Donald W
new york
Reviewed September 23, 2011

When traveling on road trips, we usually prefer to stay with Holiday Inn Express because we can rest assured that we 'know what we'll get" A clean room with a quiet nights sleep. Not in this HIE. The walls were paper thin,,,,heard all the noise in the hall and in the rooms next door. The shower head was clogged allowing only a thin stream of water and the AC/heating unit emitted a constant clicking noise. The only positive with this HIE was the setting. The motel was set off the highway and the bay side view from the room was nice. The close proximity to neighboring restaurants was also a plus. If I travel to this area again, I will look for other availabilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront room. It is the only redeeming quality of this motel.
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We read an travel article about the great crab houses here and decided to stop on a trip down the coast. This hotel probably didn't start out as a Holiday Inn as it does have some quirks! All the rooms are not created equal but we were in a perfect room that was very large with a lot of space to spread out in. We had a jacuzzi tub (how un-Hoiday inn is that?) in a fairly small bathroom. The rugs in the rooms and halls are ready for replacement, but the rooms and areas were clean and comfortable.The outdoor pool has a magnificent view overlooking the water and the marina area, making it a lovely place to start the day with coffee and a swim. The staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area. It is an easy drive over to sightsee in Annapolis, but you will be glad to get back here where you can actually park your car and go to any number of wonderful restaurants and bars. We will definitely return here.

Room Tip: odd numbered rooms face the water, even face the front parking area
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

...and that's exactly what we got! My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Kent Island the night before we had to be up early for a daytime wedding in Stevensville, MD. The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable, and the hotel seemed safe, so that was all we needed! I think the hotel was fairly full, but I never heard a peep from anyone else, and I am a light sleeper. We didn't really require any service, but the front-desk staff was cheerful and sweet.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My wife and I travelled from New Jersey to enjoy Blue Claws in the Chesapeake. We had been to Kent Narrows several years prior. At that time, there was only one major hotel in the area. Now there are three (Best Western, Hilton Garden, & the Holiday Inn Express). We chose this hotel because it was the only one with an outdoor pool and we planned to stay two nights. It appeared somewhat expensive ($209/nt) but we chose to check it out anyway. This was money well spent. We enjoyed a sun filled wekend laying by the pool during the early afternoons and frequenting the several dock bars and crab houses (all within walking distance of the hotel) in the late afternoon and evening. The hotel room was clean and the breakfast was well done. My only suggestion to both the Holiday Inn and the state of Maryland is to follow the others and discontinue allowing smoking in the hotel rooms. Besides that, we enjoyed having our breakfast out by the pool, enjoying the breathtaking views of the Charles River. Another small complaint was that the hotel appeared to be hosting a large family reunion that weekend and as the day went on, the pool seemed to be taken over by the group (many of whom did not appear to be staying at the hotel.) Nonetheless, the group was not disrespectful or ignorant. The front desk clerk and manager were helpful and even found us a non-smoking room when we weren't sure there would be one available. What a great destination for an weekend drive. We'll certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasonville
Hilton Garden Inn Kent Island
Best Western Kent Narrows Inn
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#4 of 4 in Grasonville
The Inn at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club
Waterfront Historic Kent Manor Inn
Best Western Plus Easton Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kent Island? Share your experiences!