Review Highlights
Great history but not a whole lot to see

This time I visited, they were actually open when they said they'd be, which was not the case... read more

Reviewed August 14, 2018
ZachF247
not much here, more of a wedding venue or reception place

Reviewed January 16, 2017
solomonknibb
Baltimore, Maryland

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 10, 2018 via mobile

I throughly enjoyed my visit today at Marietta! There was a guest speaker Ralph Buglass, he gave a great presentation on the historic case of Brown vs Board of Education. It was such a good history of Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall and the historic case. The Marietta House was decorated for valentine day... lovely red roses and there was light refreshments perfect for this rainy day that we had. Enjoyed meeting and talking to different people and just a wonderful event! I highly recommend for those history buff or anyone else that cares to learn more about Marietta and our history here in Prince George’s County.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed July 8, 2017

The house's website clearly states, "Architectural and Duvall family biographical tours are given the first Friday of every month between 12 noon and 4pm." I was there on Friday, July 7th at a little before 2 pm and the door was locked and the lights were out. No sign on the door other than an emergency number for the park police. I walked around the building and saw two cars parked behind what looked like a modern extension of the building. Didn't see anyone and no one came out, so I left disappointed. It is extremely frustrating to take a trip to a historic site only to find out the published hours are wrong. Prince George's County needs to fix their website so other visitors don't have their time wasted like I did.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank ZachF247
Reviewed January 16, 2017

not much here, more of a wedding venue or reception place. lovely grounds, maybe for an outdoor wedding. can't imagine much else here.

Date of experience: April 2016
1  Thank solomonknibb
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had the opportunity to take a tour of the mansion this past Saturday (Sept 21) while attending an event entitled Jazz on the Lawn. Thourougly enjoyed the occasion. Our guide during the tour was an elderly woman who didn't have the most pleasant disposition I might add but most of the tourists overlooked it. While on the tour someone raises the question if Duval High School was named after Gabriel Duvall. She curtly answered and said "not really". A little later another toursist asked where were the slaves buried and again she answered and said "well they weren't buried here"! I was a bit taken aback at her attitude that clearly exuded she didn't act as if she wanted to be there. I also was a little put off because she acted as if the questions bein asked were offensive.

I did a bit of research myself and found that Duval High School was indeed named after Gabriel Duvall! I have not done the research that will answer the slave burial but trust me I will! Save for the encounter with the tour guide it was quite interesting. It is amazing how much history is right here in our own backyard in Prince George's County. I am looking forward to attending more events at Marietta and this has driven me to make a list of other historical homes within the county to visit! By the way, do let the tour guide know that Duval High was named after Gabriel Duvall.

M. Mitchell