“A Mostly Satisfying Experience!”
Review of Bistro Blanc - CLOSED

Bistro Blanc
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: RT 32
Transit: None
Columbia, MD
“A Mostly Satisfying Experience!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I made reservations at Bistro Blanc for our anniversary. We started our meal by ordering a bottle of Merlot which was reasonably priced, and very tasty. My wife ordered Arctic Char and I ordered the Roast Duck. When our meals arrived, the presentation was excellent, even if the portion size was small. The food was delicious. The Passion-fruit Raspberry Bomb dessert, was an explosion of flavor and matched well with the Merlot. We will most likely try Bistro Blanc again. Oh, I forgot to mention, our waitress was in a bad mood that day, which distracted from our dining experience. Maybe it was because it was "Burger Night", and it was rather loud in the dining room.

• Visited June 2014

Highland, Maryland
“One of Howard County's Best”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We have been here a half dozen times and this place never disappoints. Our standard is the Bistro steak with a gouda couscous that is simply delicious. There is always something interesting in the daily specials. The cheese plate, mussels and brussels sprouts apps are great. Preparation and presentation are impeccable. They have an amazing wine selection and a couple of Enomatics wine dispensing machines, that allow you to try all kinds of wines. I tried for example a half glass of Finca La Anita, a rare Petit Verdot wine from Argentina that's sells for $28 per glass and almost $100 a bottle. It was delicious. My only pet peeve is they do not use white table cloths but rather bare wood. I do not like it. Place is expensive, about $80 pp with drinks. Reservations are a must on weekends.

• Visited May 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent-to-Very Good”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

For the 4 years since it opened, we would rate Bistro Blanc as Excellent. Then, last year, 3 of us went there for lunch and the experience was awful.

To back up, except for the awful lunch (which was the last time we have been there) the food was always excellent, creative, well presented, served well and in a friendly manner, costly but not prohibitive.

Then, the lunch from the depths. On that day, all 3 of us got simply awful meals. Service was just OK, in comparison of the previous years of excellent service. But the food, most dishes of which we had had before with excellent results, was served poorly, tiny portions, seemed to be left over from a previous day, long in coming to the table, and almost tasteless. All t hose negatives for the same high price as usual. It was like the chef did not show up and a non-skilled waiter prepared our meals.

That one experience drove us off and we have never been back since. It is a shame, since we had so many excellent meals there, but to take another chance at paying a very high price for very bad food is not something to which we will subject ourselves again.

The Very Good rating I gave it was based on all the past excellent meals, combined with this one awful visit. Otherwise, it would be rated Excellent.

• Visited July 2013
West Friendship, Maryland
“Very gluten friendly!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here many times and they are always
Accommodating with my gluten allergy! And the sauces are awesome I never get them! I could eat here every nite great atmosphere, wine deserts are just ok my only complaint.

• Visited February 2014
baltimore
“Still hungry!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The portions are ridiculously small and overpriced. Three small slices of beets in appetizer. Maybe six brussel sprouts in appetizer and a $10 small small bowl of mushroom soup. So $30 for appetizers. When the entrees came it got really crazy. The shorts ribs was one rib. It looked like a brownie bite. The food tasted great but everyone was still hungry. At over $100 per couple we opted to get dessert elsewhere. We couldn't take a chance on the size of the desserts. Restaurant is beautiful and mixed drinks were great. I like artsy beautiful food but do not skimp on food items that cost basically nothing. We are not huge eaters and were still hungry.

• Visited February 2014