“Okay Tex-Mex.”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The food was pretty standard Tex-Mex fare. Our waiter was horrible - inattentive, unfriendly, flat out ignored us several times when we tried to flag him down for the check (which, btw, we waited over 30 minutes for, counting from our 1st attempt). But - the waiter at the next table over seemed the complete opposite from what we could overhear, so it's the luck of the draw I guess. Prices are reasonable. Probably won't go back, but it wasn't the food's fault.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Went there twice in the last week. Once with a party of five and then as a couple. The decor is very nice, better than usual. The margarita was very strong, very good. The staff was very friendly on the first visit, not so much on the second visit when there were less people in the restaurant and they should have been less harried. On the first visit, one staff member swore a few times in Spanish passing the table while speaking to another staff member. He wasn't angry, just a patter of bad words as his normal manner of speaking I suppose. Very unprofessional to say the least. The food was better than average. The sauce offered with the chips was little better than chopped tomatoes but they bought out a decent hot sauce and were very accomodating about more limes and attending to drinks, etc. We all ate burritos of one sort or another. I had "pacifico" which was mainly rice and and some seafood for $12.95. It was very large and half went home with me. Other burritos were $9-10 I think. Everyone stated that they enjoyed their food. I like hearing decent music in Spanish in a Mexican restaurant and there was no music at all here.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been to this restaurant many times. They have very good Mexican food. However the service is getting worse every time. I won't be back. The waiter's barely spoke to us and were not friendly or polite. Our order was wrong and it took 10 minutes to find someone to help. If I pay to eat somewhere I expect the waiter or waitress to have good customer service skills. Never again.

1  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This was my favorite mexican restaurant in the Balto. area, great taste, reasonable prices, really nice staff. Fantastic energy in this place, waiters balancing sizzling platters flying around but never running into anyone. I never even minded the line! The fajitas were to die for, the enchilidas so tasty. the fish tacos were awesome! We went at least once a month for several years and it was always yummy. Traveled 30 minutes on a good day and didn't care as the pot of gold, a great meal, was always at the end.

No more. Due to changes in geographics we haven't been in at least 8 months so when we were driving close we stopped for an early dinner. No lines, no familiar faces, what happened?

I ordered tacos de Carnitas, with tomatotilla sauce and beans. The 3 corn soft tacos were wrapped in foil and a wedge of lime and the sauce was on the plate. The plate of refried beans with a small amount of cheese on part of it, was sloppy, runny and utterly tasteless. I could not believe it, I used to dream about this side!
The carnitas taco was totally dry, no flavor at all. The tomatotilla sauce was hot- not warm hot but no other flavors came through. My friend ordered his regular California Burrito but declared it mushy with tasteless " rib eye" meat. Heartbreaking!

I noticed the new menu, which was half the size of the former one. I also noticed that the restaurant is now "Los Portales, Inc.". Whoever is in charge has made some serious errors with the food. What was a fun, authentic Mexican place has turned into a just another bland psuedo- mexican restaurant. I even like Quodoba better than Los Portales now.
I can't recommend it anymore. Baltimore has lost a true gem.

1  Thank winterfling
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Food is authentic Mexican and not your usual Tex-Mex so often presented as Mexican cuisine.
Service is excellent, however the prices are a little above what you expect,.