“An early Mother's Day dinner”

Sunset Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #14 of 261 Restaurants in Glen Burnie
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“An early Mother's Day dinner”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Wife and I travelled to Maryland to celebrate Mother's Day with her mother and 92 year old grandmother. To beat the crowd we went for an early dinner on "Mother's Day Eve". We called ahead and made a reservation. Within 10 minutes of arriving we were seated. Then the "fun" began. The hostess told us our server was serving a party of 10 and would be with us in a few minutes. After 15 minutes (no exaggeration) no one showed so I asked the hostess what was going on. She told me there was nothing she could do. I asked to speak with a manager and was told there wasn't one on site. At this point we just didn't understand why the hostess herself didn't take drink orders or at least pour us some waters. It was frustrating to say the least. Within 5 minutes the waitress (Virginia) showed up. I immediately started complaining about our poor treatment. She apologized and promised us free dessert. From this point forward things started improving. We all ordered pretty much the same thing. Three of us got the Cream Of Crab soup to start. It's Sunset's specialty and one of us got the Maryland Crab soup. To me the soup was a little salty but my wife disagreed and said it was perfect. All 4 of us got the shrimp salad as our main course 2 on a bed of lettuce 2 in a wrap. It was delicious. Virginia took very good care of us, I had 2 beers and was only charged for 1 and she only charged us for 3 of the soups. Thanks Virginia for your hospitality. Someone needs to take a close look at the hostess for her lack of hospitality. Will we go back? Absolutely! The service from the hostess that day was an anomaly and I'm confident it won't happen the next time.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Walter W

Millersville, Maryland
“They do give you a lot of food for the money”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been here three times. The first time my husband and I both really enjoyed our meal. The filet mignon is very good and cooked according to your wishes but, the service was slow. The second time we visited husband and I did not care for the food were given food the prime rib was overcooked and not good and subpar quality, the veal dish was also over cooked and way too much stuff was put on it as previously the service was very slow. The third time we went I got the filet (to be perfectly honest though this time my filet was undercooked I ordered med rare
and got rare (I do prefer my food undercooked versus overcooked and I had no problem eating the rare steak) and again it was good. My husband got the pork chops and my daughter the lamb again both were over cooked (we ordered the lamb med rare and med well). The service is also very slow but, our waitress was friendly.

• Visited April 2014
Severn, Maryland
“Worst service ever!!!!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

My family has been going to the Sunset for years. My Dad even used to play pool here when it first opened. Tonight was the WORST service we have ever had in our lives! If you get a waitress named Donna C...run!!!

We should have know from the start that when a hostess sits you at a table and it takes 20 minutes for a waitress to even acknowledge your existence that you are in serious trouble. She finally took our drink order then came back 15 minutes later with drinks. Then another 15 minutes later she takes our orders. Then another 10 minutes later she finally brings our salads. I asked her for side plates and the relish tray since she didn't bring it. Then 10 minutes later she brings the relish tray never asking us if we want another drink or ask if everything is okay.

Then 35 minutes later she brings out our food. The food was fine, not great but okay. The food was a little cold but considering how long it took her to bring drinks it was probably the servers fault. During dinner we never saw our waitress, we all wanted a refill on our drinks but she was no where to be found. My husbands beer tasted terrible and flat and didn't drink it.

Finally another 30 minutes later she brings a to go box and a bill. No mention of desert and didnt even bring the black sleeve to place the receipt in. My husband asked for the beer to be removed because it was horrible. Then 10 minutes later she brings the bill back, still with no black sleeve, with the beer removed. We waited 15 minutes and she did not return. We took the bill to the hostess and asked her to run our credit card.

While all this was going on the male manager or owner, whatever he was, walked by three times and never asked how things were. It's obvious the server doesn't fall far from the management.

Sad to say we will NOT return for a long time. We used to love it here but when service is that bad, it's not worth it. We would have had better service at a fast food restaurant. Sunset needs a management attitude adjustment and some of the better servers to train the newer ones how to do it right.

1 Thank hwgo57
Baltimore, Maryland
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was there with a friend. The server was pleasant, but obviously incompetent in terms of running transactions. She obviously does not have a clear understanding and requires additional training or should not be expected to do that particular duty. Instead of the manager dealing with the confusion, she was left to her own understanding and ran the card more than four times. When my friend called the next day she was given the run around. She ultimately went back to the restaurant to get refunded for the additional charges. When she arrived the owner treated her disrespectfully and never offered an apology. His behavior was unbecoming of a business owner and clearly revealed that he only cares about business from certain customers. Needless to say....We won't be back again and will tell everyone we know how rudely she was treated by the owner. . It's a shame, but I refuse to support an establishment that's owned by someone who thinks it is okay to disrespect his customers or maybe just his customers of color????

On another note, the carpet realllllly needs to be replaced. You can smell it as soon as you walk in the door. Since the owner claims he is making so much money (one of the comments he made to my friend), he needs to invest in replacing the carpet and providing adequate training to all of his servers

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank wtvision
Glen Burnie, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slowest service ever”
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and occaisionally go for lunch. Lunch takes an hour or longer and is significantly faster than dinner.
The worse crab imperial i have ever had. Stick with their shrimp salad.
Crab imperial was just mayonaise plopped on top of crab meat.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Pat C

Been to Sunset Restaurant & Lounge? Share your experiences!