“Good hotel but shuttle "service" needs some work”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore South Glen Burnie
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Glen Burnie
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked this hotel on a "park and cruise" package. The package included the room for the night before our cruise, breakfast, parking for the week and free shuttle service to and from the Port of Baltimore. The hotel was in a convenient location, was clean, well maintained and comfortable (though the elevator was making odd "hissing" noises). Breakfast was pretty good, as free hotel breakfasts go. They had eggs, which tasted real, waffles, toast, bagels, cereal, plus the usual breakfast drinks. I would say the only negative about the hotel itself was that the elevators were quite a walk from the front desk. It was far closer to walk to the other entrance through the parking lot but unfortunately, our desk clerk didn't mention that. We discovered it on our own after shlepping 7 overloaded bags all through the hotel.

I will warn you, though, that the shuttle service is highly exaggerated. They have one van, that they share with the Days Inn across the street. The "schedule" is very fluid. They make promises to anyone and everyone and there is no way they could possibly keep all the commitments. Our trip over to the port was fine, except there was another gentleman who had requested to go to the airport at the same time we were scheduled to go to the port. We had to wait until they returned from that trip. Our return, however, was not so smooth. They give you a printout with the phone number to schedule your return shuttle when you return from your cruise. I called the number, was told that the driver would be returning within 30 minutes and that we (party of 6) were next on the list. While we were waiting, two other parties arrived and scheduled their shuttle, which was supposed to be the one after ours. When the driver arrived, he was clearly told that my party of 6 was to be on the shuttle and the other 2 parties were to be on the one after. Unfortunately, the driver started loading the other parties' luggage into the shuttle and even when he was told it was the wrong party (by us and the front desk manager), he still continued. The other party got into the van and wouldn't leave. The driver wouldn't straighten out the problem and I was certainly not going to physically remove them so they were taken back to the hotel first. We ended up waiting almost 2 hours before we got back to the hotel. While the front desk (and eventually, the manager) were extremely apologetic, there is clearly a communication problem and an authority problem. None of the employees felt they had any authority to correct the problem.

While I would stay at the hotel again, I would definitely hestitate in relying on their shuttle service on the return trip. It is a fair distance and a cab would be expensive. There are other hotels which are closer that I would probably look at first. At least the cab ride would be less expensive if the shuttle didn't work out.

1  Thank Suzanne H
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore South Glen Burnie

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had to travel for work and stayed here for one night. The front desk was somewhat friendly and helpful but the first impression of the place was not that good. It looks old and needs work. The first thing that happened when I open the door to my room was an overwhelming smell of pee hit me. Then I went to the bathroom to check if it is clean and it doesn't look that clean. It looks old and rusty, especially the tub and toilet. I called the front desk and they did send someone up to check and the guy was sniffing the floor and checking the floor for pee stains and stuff but found nothing. Finally he said it was coming from the vents and there was not much he could do. So I spend the whole night with the fan turned all the way up and AC on so the smell would not be so bad. I figure it was one night how bad could it be, but it was bad when you have to smell pee all night long. The size of the room was big and bed was comfortable, but who can enjoy it when you smell pee all night! I didn't go anywhere in the hotel because they did not have a restaurant and I had to order take out. The hotel gave me menus for places that delivered. The Chinese food place that was recommended was awful. The bathroom did not look clean because of all the stains and rust so I was kind of afraid to take a shower. I had to lay down a clean towel in the tub to stand on. I wore my flip flops the entire time in the room and did not have the courage to take it off at all. I also look out the window and see a huge dumpster so as soon as morning came around I got out of there. Before I left the room I saw a big spider too so the overall experience at this hotel was no where near decent. The smell was the worst!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless they get rid of the pee smell.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband, myself and our two kids stayed here on our way home from a trip to New England. (My husband stays here almost weekly for work.) It's one of the nicest [reasonably-priced] places we've ever stayed. The beds are super comfy and they give lots of blankets and pillows. There are plenty of lamps around the room in case you want to work at the desk while everyone else sleeps. The entire room, including the bathroom was quite clean. We did the white sock test - I never let my kids go barefoot in a hotel room - and my son's stayed pretty white.

We had a double queen room which also had a nice desk and a super office chair, plus a reading chair and ottoman in the corner. The kitchenette was neatly hidden behind doors in the bureau. There was a safe in the closet for your valuables.

The front desk staff and those that ran the breakfast buffet were very nice. I find that you get what you give when it comes to hotel staff. If you are pleasant and kind, they will return the favor. If you are grumpy, nasty, and impatient, don't expect different from them - they're human too, not robots.

Speaking of breakfast... it was really yummy! My kids are hard to please but not at this place. Belgian waffles, toast, bacon, eggs, homesfries, fruit, donuts, cereal, juice - all being replenished frequently. The dining room was big, bright and had a tv for catching up with the news.

Although we didn't use the pool and fitness center on this trip, my husband uses them when he travels here for work. Both are nice, he says. He's not a man of many words... unlike his wife ;)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We found our room to be clean and comfortable but the bathroom needed some attention. The bathtub had rust stains, broken toilet seat, cracked walls, etc. The breakfast was decent, there was a variety of choices. The business center is basic with two computers, no printer or supplies. Several other areas in the hotel needed attention but overall not a bad place for a quick overnight stay in the area. The hotel is within 20 minutes of the Inner Harbor area.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My experience was a very favorable one. Thanks to Shannon, the very courteous desk clerk, I had a great stay. I was in need of a wake up call, and when I slept through that, your staff personally came to my door and knocked until I woke up. This kept me from missing my flight. Needless to say, you can't possibly do a beter job than that. Keep up the great work Farhaz

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
A TripAdvisor Member
Greer, South Carolina, USA
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I had a business meeting in Baltamore, Maryland and had no reservations. When I got into town my wife, three kids, and I were very tired after driving for 12 hours. The La Quinta was located in the right location for my business meeting. So we decided to give it a try. We were very impressed from the get go with the staff and overall appearance of the hotel. The staff was very attentative and courteous. We definately would recommend La Quinta to anyone needing a hotel to stay at whether business or family vacation related. Thank you La Quinta for our wonderful getaway!

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Burnie
Hampton Inn Baltimore / Glen Burnie
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie
Days Inn Baltimore South/Glen Burnie
Comfort Inn & Suites BWI Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore BWI Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore...
#11 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore South Glen Burnie? Share your experiences!