“Little bit of pleasure in Germantown”
Review of Yuraku

Yuraku
Ranked #4 of 157 Restaurants in Germantown
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My family drove 40 minutes to Yuraku and it was worth the trip. Be aware that you cannot make reservations and parties have to write their name down on a pad of paper. The waiting area was very small and was packed with customers. The restaurant is also small but the food was outstanding. Customers are given dip ( very much like cole slaw) and veggie sticks (carrots, celery, cucumber). Some tables were treated to fish heads and egg custard soup. We ordered a lot of food and it didn't fit on the table! The miso soup was great and came with certain entrees. I got the Dobin soup which had mushrooms, various seafood and fish cakes. That was a keeper. My daughter who had been to Japan over the summer want to try the green tea noodles (cold dish) and udon noodles with chicken broth. She loved both. Her boyfriend ordered filet and chicken teriyaki. The filet melted in your mouth. All the dishes were presented well on white plates. Agedofu was the appetizer served in three pieces which was tasty. Now for the sushi we tried multiple rolls. My favorites were Dr. Atkins roll and
Kevin Bacon roll (who doesn't love bacon). My wife had the alligator roll (shrimp tempura with eel and avocado) which she would have again. Overall we would definitely come back. Suggestion: if you are located east of Germantown use the toll road to get to 270. Its a lot quicker.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Among their very first 'regular's', 16+ year's and counting. In that period I have lived from Laguna Beach, CA to Melbourne Beach, FL and spent several trips to Hawaii to Europe. NOT a single state or country has offered me a better quality product with the value and consistency of YURAKU for Japanese cuisine. Period.

PLEASE, don't be a Yankee and limit your palate's experience to the nice but less-quality, buffet. It is priced to reflect just that.

Saddle, yourself up yo the sushi bar and have a special treat. Get to know your Chef's and they will guide you along an extraordinary dining opportunity!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I have been coming to this restaurant ever since a week or two after they opened, well over 10 years ago. I probably enjoy their all-you-can-eat buffet about every other month on average. In all those years they have not once disappointed me! The food is always fresh, flavorful, well presented, creative. The service is professional, prompt, courteous.

This is an extremely popular restaurant during the lunch hours, so do not be surprised if you have to wait 15-30 minutes to be seated. It is worth the wait! Inside you will find a nice (though not overly decorative) atmosphere with both table and bar seating. The bar seats about eight and is a good alternative to waiting for a seat if you are dining alone. The all-you-can-eat bar consists of four sections: soup and noodle salads, fruit and cold-plate foods (including sometimes steamed shrimp), hot entrees and tempura, sushi.

The sushi (IMHO) is the main attraction and they feature 20-25 different types in mostly nigiri or maki style. Typically you will find: futomaki, unagi(roasted eel), California roll, spicy tuna roll, yellowtail, raw tuna, raw salmon, squid, saba(pickled mackerel), shrimp, many combinations of the above in maki form. The nigiri is perfectly bite-sized with the right amount of fish and not too much rice -- unlike other sushi buffets in the area.

If this is your first time to Yuraku I offer you this advice: study the "flow of traffic" regarding the buffet and don't try to swim against it. The regulars have a pattern that is strictly followed due to the tight space constraints, and those who try to sneak through line or go against the flow are sometimes sneered at.

In fact the tight space of the buffet bar is the only negative point I could make about Yuraku, but it is not nearly enough to ding my rating by a star. This restaurant has a lot going for it and has been successful for a very long time.

As of December 2013, the buffet lunch was $12.95. Note that Yuraku now charges a premium on credit card payments. Your total will come to about $13.75 (with tax) paying by cash, or $14.80 if paying by credit card. They must have just started with the CC premium because it caught me by surprise. Fortunately I was planning to pay in cash that day.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The food is amazing and the menu incredible. But it is not that clean. Definitely try the house tuna hand roll!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Last Saturday morning, I got a call from my neighbor and she asked me if I wanted to eat at Yuraku for lunch. Of course I said yes! We went early like 11:00 a.m. because I was told the place is small and they have a regular clientele so it gets crowded if you come late.
When we got there, true enough, there were a few tables left. Were we lucky! The hostess sat us in a corner table near the buffet. That was really a perfect location for us because when you want to get your seconds, you just get up from your table and you're right there.
I saw a lot of different rolls and got some of those. I heard their salad is really good. Then I saw the sushi on the top shelf above the rolls. For a while I thought they only had the sushi rolls but I didn't see the regular sushi. I really prefer the sushi only but I couldn't possibly put that back. I got some tempura like sweet potatoes and veggies. I don't think they had the shrimp tempura which is more my preference for tempura. But the sweet potatoes were fine too. I also tried their friend chicken.

When I got my salad and seaweed, a guy was taking some red looking liquid in a punch bowl. I asked "what is that?" He said "Oh! It's cinnamon tea. It's really good!" So I was very interested and I got some for me too. It was just not good but VERY GOOD.

What I noticed here was that the sushi was very fresh and delicious. The rice is soft. I've been to buffets that the fish was not tasty at all. Here you can taste the flavor of the sushi you are eating. And try eating hard rice on a sushi and you won't want to eat sushi again! Rice on sushi is very filling so you can't really eat more even if you wanted to.

When I got home, I googled cinnamon tea but found the recipe for regular American cinnamon tea. When I googled Korean cinnamon tea, I found what I was looking for. Try it for winter if you're throwing a winter party. It's perfect and your guests will love it.

My only suggestion if you want to eat here on a weekend is come early to get a good table....

1  Thank Parisbreakfast