“Amazing hotel... except for the bed bugs”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Germantown
Carnegie, Pennsylvania, United States
“Amazing hotel... except for the bed bugs”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg for four nights while on vacation this July. Everything was wonderful - the hotel was modern and clean. The employee working at the counter was quite friendly and we were always greeted as we were coming or going from the hotel.

The hot breakfast was kind of... crappy. Eggs were chunky and bland, bacon was very thin (you could read through it) and extra greasy, and the sausage was undercooked both days that we ate. All of the cold stuff was fine. Its a "free" breakfast, so I can't really complain.

Our king suite was clean and modern, and smelled like new carpet. Judging from the looks of things I would estimate that all the furniture is relatively new as well. The curtains were the only things that looked old.

One of the first things I did before getting settled into the room was pull back the sheets and mattress cover to check for bed bugs. I have never had bed bugs myself, or seen them in person, but I travel often enough to know that they are a problem in hotels. I checked the edges of the mattress, around the headboard and in the nightstand drawers and dresser. I didn't see anything that looked like a bug. I did find a few small pieces of something that looked like they may have once been a part of a bugs body - about the size of a pen tip, brown/reddish in color, and with the consistency of a the shell of a corn kernel.

The following morning I noticed 2 bug bites on my leg around 11am. I put benedryl on it and checked the bed again that night - this time stripping the entire bed instead of just pulling back the sheets. Again I didn't see any actual bugs - I noticed what I thought were stains from an ink pen on the sheets and one of the pillow cases. There were just a few here and there, so I assumed that maybe an ink pen had broken in the hotel dryer or something. I was unaware that this is what bed bug excrement looks like.

I developed 4 more bug bites over the next 3 days - all of them appearing mid-morning/early afternoon.

I did not see any actual bed bugs, but I now have a few bug bites, and I did see those black spots on the sheets for the remainder of our stay. I will be waiting to see if more bites develop on my body, and as a precaution we are drying all of our clothes on high heat and sealing our luggage in black trash bags and leaving them out in the 95° sun for a few days.

We stayed in room 314.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Danielle H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
First I would like to say thank you for the kind words about our team/cleanliness and our new modern look, but I am truly sorry that you encountered issues during your stay.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the issues with the eggs and meat at breakfast, and the "ink" spots on the sheets and the bug bites. I have addressed the above mentioned issues with my team to make sure that we are paying attention to all details. As for bed bugs, myself and my team have been thoroughly trained to do everyday inspections of our rooms to look for potential problems. We have not found any evidence of bed bugs, but I have called in our pest control company to do a much more thorough inspection of this room with their equipment.

Again thank you for bringing the issues to my attention and be assured that I am inspecting re-training and addressing everything with my team. I am sorry!

Danielle Hedden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Hotel is in excellent shape rooms are exceptionally clean and very courteous professional staff. Definitely would stay here again if I was passing through. Great selections of restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Hotel Is easily accessible from the interstate.

• Stayed June 2013
We appreciate your kind words about the team here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown. Please come and see us again!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel was very clean and our room appeared to have been recently updated. The breakfast was adequate. The heating/cooling unit was the manual floor-type - not one of my favorites for comfort - but what I would expect in a Fairfield Inn. The location was convenient near I270. I noticed several chain restaurants close by but we did not go to any of them on this trip. (Another guest told me the restaurants give a discount to those staying at theFairfield.) We were there for Father's Day weekend and the hotel definitely met our needs for the weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
It is good to hear that you had a good Father's Day weekend with your needs met. We take pride in our ability to take care of our building and our guests. Thank you for choosing us!

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I were very impressed by the accommodations,service and courtesy displayed at this Fairfield Inn by the staff. Nick and Paul at the front desk were congenial and helpful in providing dining recommendations and driving directions. We would certainly recommend this Fairfield Inn to others. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Join Marriott Rewards and get a room upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and your kind words about Nick and Paul. We enjoyed having you. Please come and see us again!

North Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed two nights in May and found it to be very comfortable. The staff was very friendly; the breakfast was the usual, but nicely presented. They could use more tables in the breakfast area. People often had to wait for seating or sit in wing backed chairs. There are many restaurants nearby for just about any taste. We were surprised that even though there were many school sports teams staying in the hotel, it was very quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We enjoyed having you stay with us during your stay in Germantown MD. Over the next year we are looking at revamping our breakfast area. Thank you for that suggestion of increased seating. Please come and see us again next time you are in the area!

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Hotel right by downtown with plenty of places to eat nearby. The hotel is just average for the price range; I was expecting more based on all the previous 4 and 5 scores. Rooms are aging, slightly musty and a bit small... And I stayed in a King suite. No thermostat, only a manual wall/floor unit. King bed looked more like a queen to me. Overall descent but nothing to write home about. Staff was very nice and accommodating. I wouldn't agree that it's a 4 1/2 tripadvisor hotel, I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Germantown MD. We appreciate your business. Over the next several months we are updating our look. Next time you are in the area please come by and see our changes.

Richmond
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated in the middle of restaurants & a cute little main street. They offer discounts to all of the surrounding restaurants which included Bailey's Pub, Red Robin & a few more. Great location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We enjoyed having you stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Danielle Hedden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Germantown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington, DC North / Gaithersburg
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Germantown - Milestone
Homewood Suites by Hilton Gaithersburg/Washington, DC North
Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg
Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
#7 of 15 in Gaithersburg

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!