We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg for four nights while on vacation this July. Everything was wonderful - the hotel was modern and clean. The employee working at the counter was quite friendly and we were always greeted as we were coming or going from the hotel.
The hot breakfast was kind of... crappy. Eggs were chunky and bland, bacon was very thin (you could read through it) and extra greasy, and the sausage was undercooked both days that we ate. All of the cold stuff was fine. Its a "free" breakfast, so I can't really complain.
Our king suite was clean and modern, and smelled like new carpet. Judging from the looks of things I would estimate that all the furniture is relatively new as well. The curtains were the only things that looked old.
One of the first things I did before getting settled into the room was pull back the sheets and mattress cover to check for bed bugs. I have never had bed bugs myself, or seen them in person, but I travel often enough to know that they are a problem in hotels. I checked the edges of the mattress, around the headboard and in the nightstand drawers and dresser. I didn't see anything that looked like a bug. I did find a few small pieces of something that looked like they may have once been a part of a bugs body - about the size of a pen tip, brown/reddish in color, and with the consistency of a the shell of a corn kernel.
The following morning I noticed 2 bug bites on my leg around 11am. I put benedryl on it and checked the bed again that night - this time stripping the entire bed instead of just pulling back the sheets. Again I didn't see any actual bugs - I noticed what I thought were stains from an ink pen on the sheets and one of the pillow cases. There were just a few here and there, so I assumed that maybe an ink pen had broken in the hotel dryer or something. I was unaware that this is what bed bug excrement looks like.
I developed 4 more bug bites over the next 3 days - all of them appearing mid-morning/early afternoon.
I did not see any actual bed bugs, but I now have a few bug bites, and I did see those black spots on the sheets for the remainder of our stay. I will be waiting to see if more bites develop on my body, and as a precaution we are drying all of our clothes on high heat and sealing our luggage in black trash bags and leaving them out in the 95° sun for a few days.
We stayed in room 314.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Germantown, Maryland hotel, newly renovated in 2016, is approximately 30 miles from major Washington, D.C./Baltimore airports Ronald Reagan National Airport, Washington Dulles International Airport and Baltimore Washington International Airport and is easily accessible off of I-270 via exit 15B. Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg features free WiFi and on-site parking. Each guest room is furnished with a work desk, TV, microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. Enjoy complimentary hot breakfast each morning and free coffee anytime in the lobby. The indoor pool, hot tub and fitness center are readily available, as well as a business center and laundry room. Centrally located, our hotel in Germantown is a 5 minute walk to the Department of Energy and restaurants, such as LongHorn Steakhouse, IHOP and Green Turtle. Travel to Washington, D.C. with the Shady Grove Metro Center 5 miles away. We're also near Germantown attractions Black Rock Center for the Arts & Discovery Sports Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg Hotel Germantown
- Fairfield Inn And Suites Germantown Gaithersburg
- Fairfield Inn Germantown
- Fairfield Germantown
- Germantown Fairfield Inn