New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Strawberry picking!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butler's Orchard

Butler's Orchard
More attraction details
Owner description: A family farm providing good, green fun and local produce for over 60 years. We offer 300 acres of pick-your-own fruits and vegetables, a Farm Market, and special events throughout the year. At our annual Pumpkin Festival enjoy a hayride, jump in the hayloft, swoosh down the giant slides, visit barnyard buddies, play the rubber duckie derby, and explore the straw maze! Enjoy beautiful fall foliage, live music, hand dipped caramel apples, crafts, and lots more!
Reston, Virginia
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Strawberry picking!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

It was Saturday morning and I had no set plans on where to spend the day. I started my "research" and stumbled upon Butler's Orchard website. Found out that it was their first day of strawberry picking season. I knew what I was going to do that Saturday :-)
It's about 45 minutes drive for me. Me and my wife reached there at around 1:00 PM. We headed to their store first. The store had good selection of jams, jellies, fruit butters, preserves, salsas (most of them are locally made). We bought apple cider donuts, red apple salsa and pumpkin butter. We then headed to the "main" attraction (strawberry picking). Its about 1-2 minutes slow drive from the store. Bought a flat box for 1$, hoped on the tractor, and we were taken to the strawberry fields. One of their employees guided us on which row to stay on. We were then busy for next 30-35 minutes or so picking strawberries. I have picked apples as well, but this is more fun than that. It was bright, sunny, about 73 F but breezy too, so we were pretty comfortable. They had a water dispenser too right next to the field, which would certainly help during hotter days. Once we thought we had enough strawberries, we stood in line for the tractor ride to take us back to the parking area. We paid for the strawberries (I think it was about 10$), made another stop at their store, and were pretty happy on how we spent last couple of hours there :-). The staff is really nice and makes one feel welcome. I am ready to go back for picking blueberries in late June. If you are going with kids, you can easily spend 3 hours here.

Depending on the weather and season:

wear full sleeves
Apply sunscreen / insect repellent
Wear hat
Carry a water bottle

Visited May 2014

Germantown, Maryland
“Love This Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I love going to Butler's Orchard! Between pick your own fruits and vegetables, the pumpkin festival, and the arts and crafts available, what's NOT to love about this place?!

Visited May 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Really nice local farmstand!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Butler's is really great for anyone looking for local vegetables, fruits and other stuff... In addition to locally grown food, there are local food accessories and other plants available...

Visited October 2013
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great Orchard and Market”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is a local gem. I love being able to purchase seasonally grown produce and fresh baked goods. You can also find local honey, canned goods, soaps, and crafts. You can pick your own fruit and in the fall they have hay rides and cut your own holiday trees. It's a family owned business where everyone is extremely friendly and helpful.

Visited August 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Expensive fun at the pumpkin patch.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

$44 admission for a family of 4. Cash only. $5 for a pony ride. Cash only. $5 for face painting. Cash only. Lunch $40. Cash only. Free ride on the hay wagon to choose a pumpkin. 65 cents a pound. Kids had lots of fun. Bring lots of cash or use their ATMs.

Visited October 2013