“Great outside dining”

Kitty Knight House Inn & Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The historic Kitty Knight House Inn and Restaurant, on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, offers fine lodging and casual upscale gourmet dining. Waterfront weddings and group celebrations are our specialty. The Deck, open from Memorial Day through Labor Day, offers lunch daily, featuring live music on the weekends. Please visit our website for more details.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was here with about 20 other peopl and they managed the large group beautifully. The food was good and the umbrella kept the sun at bay.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My friends were recently married at the Kitty Knight House (KKH). We stayed at the KKH with some of the other wedding guests. Initially we were asked to provide our credit card numbers to book the rooms. All of the guests called and left messages for the event staff that included our credit card numbers.

Two weeks before the wedding the KKH started calling and harrassing the bride about why her guests had not provided their credit card information. We all called again and gave them the info. The wedding day came and at check in we were told that the KKH staff needed to see our credit cards AGAIN. Why? Because they write credit card numbers in an antequated paper book. Safe? NO. So, what happens if someone steals the paper book....you guessed it.... EVERYONES CREDIT CARD INFO IS GONE.

TERRIBLE.

Now lets discuss the wedding/event coordinators....

They were overheard talking about the bride and about guests on several occasions. None of which was professional or kind.

They were ill-prepared to deal with any event that was "out of the ordinary." The day of the wedding a venue is supposed to make things happen and help mitigate bothering the bride with any simple question that they can easily fix themselves. Not the KKH. We consistently received questions about previously provided responses and plans.

During the wedding the event coordinators loom in the back of the aisle and were seen in every photo of the bride with her father.

As a member of the bridal party one would assume that the venue would provide beverages (alch. or non-alch) during the photo session since guests are missing the cocktail hour. No beverages were ever provided for the bridal party.

When the bridal party joined the rest of the wedding the bars were shut down for dinner. The bridal party asked to be served separately...but were not. There were very few accomodations made for the bridal party to make their transition any easier.

The attendants serving the food at the KKH were rude to guests. If the guests asked a question they were flat out ignored.

The carpeting in the tent was not well manicured. It looked awful and lumpy in every photo!!!!

In the morning guests were turned away for breakfast (included in the expense of the room)....at 9:40 when breakfast clearly ran until 10:00. Ridiculous.

There were two weddings (events) the night of my friends wedding. She was not told about the other wedding (one inside and one outside). There were issues during the photography sessions getting around the inside of the house with so many other guests.

I loved my friends wedding because she was a beautiful bride who had her happily ever after. I was disapointed for her that she had to pay for such terrible service.

1  Thank JennaJocelyn
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I hate negative reviews because that means I had a bad experience. And I don't like going out for a bad experience. But in this case, there is no way to glean many positives after our nightmare at Kitty Knight. First, I'll get the obvious out of the way. You would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful spot anywhere on the Bay! The view of the Sassafras River from the expansive outdoor deck is mesmerizing. Watching boats making their way up and down the river under the draw bridge is a treat. The original inn and more recent additions are first rate and have a charming Colonial air about them.
Now for the bad. My wife and I had enjoyed Kitty Knight on many occasions some 25 years ago when we kept our sail boat on the North East River. The years since have seen us move southward to the middle Bay and beyond the proximity of the Sassafras. On a lark last weekend we decided to take the road less traveled and revisit a fond memory from our past. We found the Kitty Knight House surprisingly empty on a Friday night, but thought that bode well since we didn't want to linger long on our way to the boat. Our first clue came when we could not find anyone to seat us, the inside bar area unmanned and a private party going on in the main bar, our favorite spot back when. Although it was chilly, we opted for the outdoor deck, as this had the most activity and a working bar. We seated ourselves and waited 20 minutes without being approached for an order. I finally went to the bar and asked for wait service and a couple of drinks. Ten minutes later our drinks arrived along with menus. To make up for lost time, we ordered lite fare, me an oyster sandwich, my wife a French Dip (the sandwich, not my wife). The menu didn't mention any accouterments, so I added an order of Sweet Potato fries. We moved to the bar to find warmth and the Sweet Potato fries were served there first. They were lukewarm and rubbery, but we were hungry. One hour after we arrived our sandwiches showed up with a healthy order of regular fries attached. If I had known fries were included.... Oh well, one of our main requirements with restaurant food is that it come to us hot. These fries were cold and we let our waiter know. He took them back and returned with a BOWL full of fries, enough for six people! My oyster sandwich was huge and inedible. The first bite was into an oyster whose day had come and gone long ago. I pushed the sandwich aside and was haunted by the foul taste the rest of the night. My wife's French Dip was also huge and a dud. The meat was fatty and tough, but as I said, we were hungry. The waiter did take my sandwich off of the bill, but even so, it came to over $50 with two drinks.
I'm not sure if new management is to blame or simply over expansion problems, but there is too little for me to recommend the Kitty Knight House. Too bad, we remember her fondly.

1  Thank Ted J
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Dining in the off season was perfect; Good food and service and no waits. We ate there 4 times in the past week (The Granary now closed). I had crab cakes ever time and they were fantastic. The Inn is lovely, sitting on top of a hill looking out on Georgetown Harbor. One evening, there was an event going on in the main dining room and we were directed to the "pub" for dinner. I have dined at the Kitty Knight House many times in the past and never knew that the "pub" existed. I would definitely ask the next time if dining is available there. The Inn is also steeped in history dating back to the war of 1812. Enjoy the Eastern Shore charm.

1  Thank CindyC3696
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a good place to visit by boat or dinghy. There is a lovely deck to sit out on in good weather.

1  Thank rswith