“Overpriced mediocre food and badly stored and served wine.”

Black Market Bistro
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Lake Worth, FL
“Overpriced mediocre food and badly stored and served wine.”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Older, less tarted-up eateries in this building were better than Black Market Bistro. I've been to Black Market Bistro a few times now and have always found it mediocre and thus overpriced. The setting is quaint and charming but the indoor noise level takes away most of that charm.

I feel they don't know what they're doing, and other reviews provide evidence. E.g., creme brulee can be custard (French way) or gluey pudding (made-from-mix way) -- guess which you get here with your $60 lunch. I've paid about $160 for a big-splurge-experiment lunch for two at Cafe Boulud, but the lunch tasted good. $60 is too much for Black Market.

Worse, if you want wine with your meal, you'll have a hard time enjoying yourself, and they clearly don't know any better. Red wines are supposed to be served cool--cellar temperature, "room" temperature for a room in a chateau, maybe, but not a room in a centrally heated apartment.

France has cooler summers and less central heating, so in France red wine doesn't get served at 72 degrees. If you look it up, it's supposed to be around 55 to 60 degrees, and the important thing is, red wines taste infinitely better not hot. But our red wine not only was served hot, but also had been sitting hot on a half bottle of air overnight--the waitress said so, as if that should be fine--"only" since yesterday. But the wine was spoiled. I didn't fuss, but I left the glass full.

I guess you can see I was annoyed--too many bucks for an not-enjoyable meal, and little hope of better. The food is boring and greasy--they recommended oily stuff as low-fat. Only the mussels actually look not too fat, and too bad for me; I don't like mussels, so that one choice was not enough.

It's kind of a tea room, and seems to attract that kind of customer. This may be why the food is so bland. I don't mean not spicy hot; I mean flavorless. I'm ticked off both by having to cough up $60 for a bad lunch and by the shameless and cheerful ignorance.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank seascape2204

• Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Sit at the bar!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This a great and popular spot that does not take reservations. It you are just a couple, no sweat! Sit at the bar where 4 or 5 people will all be serving you. Food is great. Do appetizers, or get entres or split them or not. Servers are so nice. Waits can get pretty long so just sit at the bar and enjoy a great dinner ( or lunch)!

Bethesda, Maryland
“Loosing its edge”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Black Market use to be one of my favorite places and I always saved it for special occasions with special friends. I went there a couple of weeks ago and was so disappointed. I ordered the salmon and my friend ordered a burger medium rare. The waitress brought both of our dishes and before she put my friend's plate down she announced that the chef over-cooked it and another one was on the grill. That burger was burnt! I can't believe she left it there and then expected me to eat my over-cooked and tasteless salmon without my friend having her corrected burger. The 2nd burger came out and was burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. Horrible meal all around and the staff did nothing to make things right. Another friend went there yesterday and reported that she was disappointed. Time to find a new favorite place.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank scuneo
Rockville, Maryland
“Charm and Good Food”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This small restaurant was once a train station in the shaded suburb of Garrett Park, MD. The food is nicely presented and delicious. If they have softshelled crabs on the menu, don't miss it. The service is attentive also.

• Visited June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

With the hustle and bustle of DC life and the often tiring experience of traveling into the city to dine, Black Market Bistro offers a charming and creative dining experience away from the city. The food is phenomenal and the restaurant, located in an old victorian is full of character.

• Visited March 2012