“An honest review.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gapland
Maple Tree Campground
Sykesville, Maryland
“An honest review.”
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I was excited about coming to the campground and staying in a tree house but that's not what it was. It's a cabin. Getting to the cabins are quite difficult since where we stayed was on a steep hill. If you didn't have a 4 wheel drive vehicle it's not an easy task. One person even had a flat tire, not sure if it was due to the rocky terrain at the campground. The cabins themselves were okay. Just your basic cabin. Pretty clean and nicely decorated with pretty pictures on the walls. There was even a wood stove for the colder months, that was nice. The bunk beds had a full size foam mattress on the bottom and a twin size on the top and enough space on the floor to set up a queen size air mattress. So, easily eight people could sleep in the cabin. The outdoor area was average. with a stone fire pit, charcoal grill and a picnic table that was hard to sit on the one side since it was on a hill. There is lots of poison ivy around.
Unfortunately we did have a rodent problem. I had purchased hot dog buns for lunch and woke the next morning to find a hole in the bag and a half eaten bun, near by the bag were mouse droppings. YUCK! I should have kept the food in the car. I do have to say the toilets were EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN! I'm always worried what kind of bathroom I'll find at a campground. I was pleasantly surprised. They even had an area outside that campers, scouts..... can wash there dishes etc.... The views looking out from the campground were beautiful. There really isn't much to do at the campground but that's okay since there are lots to see around the area.
I'd say the campground is great for those on a budget, traveling through, hiking the trail, site seeing or looking to do nothing but sit by the campfire, read a book and take in mother nature. BTW, the sound of the tall trees blowing in the wind was very relaxing. .

• Stayed April 2010
2 Thank herecomesthesun1
treehouse123, owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, April 21, 2010
Thank you for your review. Being in the country, finding a mouse is inevitable. Even if we were to put up traps, the woods will supply an infinite suppy of mice. There are also racoons, skunks, oppossums, etc., this is camping, and it is on their turf. This is why it is wise to lock food in the trunk of your car, not leave crumbs out, and get all trash in the dumster before dark, so you can avoid attracting critters. We have a cleaning crew who come every Sunday and are very thourough, but a mouse in the woods is as normal as a squirrel or a chipmonk, and quite harmless.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Maryland
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband, dog and I camped for the first time. The campground is beautiful. We really liked how each of the campgrounds are spaced out and not too close together to other campers. We stayed at the Hedgehog campsite. We had planned on staying in a Tree Cottage but they were booked so we decided to tent camp and we were happy it worked out this way.

We highly recommend this campground and have mentioned it to friends and family. Louise was wonderful and very helpful. Thank you for being so kind and generous. You really made our first camping experience pleasant. We'll be back very soon!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheHannons
Middle River, MD
Reviewed April 6, 2010

As a single Dad of three young ones, two girls aged 7 and 11 and a boy 9, the experience we had at the Treehouse Camp couldn't have been better. Thank goodness that the kid's Aunt S. was along for most of the trip, she was a great help with them, with cooking and all of the rest. The proprietor, Louise was friendly and helpful to a fault, with a caring and helpful attitude and was solicitous of the children, who this trip was really for. We brought along the kid's bicycles, a soccer ball and books for all, but everything else was there when we needed it. Heck, Louise even has a selection of balls in the office for kids to borrow. Louise was a great help with recommendations for local day trips, hiking destinations and even provided a good local map, making it easy to locate things, from hiking to the "Cliffs" on the Appalachian Trail, to an excellent trip into Harper's Ferry. Harper's Ferry is nearby and is a teriffic bargain for a day trip, with a great deal of historic interest, hiking and many opportunities to expose hungry young minds to some true American History without all of the sometimes attendent "commercialism".
Evenings by the campfire, with a barbecue grill located right there, couldn't have been more convenient for cooking, roasting marshmallows and just plain relaxing and enjoying the quiet, the stars and the transcendent beauty of the great outdoors. The "Treehouses" are not actual treehouses, but you'd have to be awfully picky for that to matter to you. They are "Sky Cabins", all well located, surrounded by trees and reasonably situated to the central office/restrooms/showers facility. Really just the right mixture of privacy combined with access to the necessary comforts. The Treehouse Cabins are well suitable to comfortable sleeping with mattress pads, and Louise even recommended bringing sheets to cover the pads with, which made it a bit nicer, but was not really necessary. If you're looking for 5 stars service and for the "help" to call you by name, the Ritz-Carlton is available in many locales. Treehouse camping is definitely the antidote to the fast pace of the "amusement park" and is a world of difference from that usual fast paced vacation that you need a vacation from when you get back home.
If you're just looking for a very fun, budget-friendly place to maximize a camping experience without all of the hassle of pitching your tents and dealing with all of that, the Treehouse Camp absolutely fits the bill. It is a great escape from the computer, the cell phone and TV's, etc. Even my oldest daughter put her cell phone away after 24 hours, seeing no need for it and understanding that it's just nice to leave it alone for a while.
I would heartily recommend the Treehouse Camp to anyone. If you have kids, of any ages, it is an excellent way to expose them to nature without the "down and dirty" quality sometimes associated with true back-country camping. Louise maintains a safe, wholesome and very fairly priced Camp. You cannot do much better than the Treehouse Camp for a great happy medium camping experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank StorminNorman0914
Washington DC
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I brought my girlfriend here for a romantic weekend getaway with the intention of proposing to her on our final day.

We drove up to the campground after work on a Friday and checked in after dark. Lucky for us I took the advice from their website and brought along a lantern as the room in our tree house cottage was pitch black when we checked in. After unloading the car we relaxed on our outside deck for a bit before turning in for the night. Lucky for my girlfriend (who is not exactly the roughing it type) I brought along an air mattress as the sleeping pads that are provided on top of the solid wood bunks are rather thin (but probably just fine for most camping types). We were tired and slept well except for being awoken in the middle of the night by what sounded like a few people arguing. We went back to sleep and didn't think much of it the next morning. That is until we received a loud knocking on our door just after breakfast. I answered and found the lady who had checked us in the night before standing before me. She exclaimed "You need to leave NOW!". I was dumbfounded and assumed she was there to possibly clean our room or something??? I answered " Excuse me". She then proceeded to tell me about how the campground has a zero tolerance policy for loud disturbances like the one we were making last night. I laughed and said we had heard the noise but it was definitely not us. The rest of the conversation I felt as if I was having to defend myself.

I commend any campground management for attempting to keep noise levels down as nothing is worse than camping next to some drunken loud mouths but the way she handled this with us was uncalled for. I have to wonder if we had been a family with young children instead of a younger couple if she would have made the same accusations against us? Regardless, my girlfriend and I decided to make light of it and have a good time and decided to cut her some slack as being a campground manager can probably be real stressful at times.

Anyhow, about the tree house. While we thought it was unique and unlike anything else we had stayed in we definitely felt the term "tree house" is a bit misleading. They are more like "Cabins on Stilts" as almost none of the structures are built around or in trees. The tree houses are about 30 feet or so apart from each other (some a bit more remote than others). I have spoken to a number of others who have stayed here as well and they have all echoed the same sentiment about these not being "real" tree houses. I will include some pictures as we were not able to find many online before our stay. I would think there could be some good money to be made by someone in the area to develop real honest to goodness tree houses as everyone I have told about this has said they would love to stay in one. All in all we enjoyed the experience and would possibly go back even if our expectations were not quit met.

Oh and on the last day of our trip I popped the big question to her surprise while we were hiking on a section of the Appalachian trail in nearby Gathland State Park. She said YES and we will be honeymooning in Costa Rica this summer where we will be staying in a few more tree houses. Look out for our trip reviews of them!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank The_Wandererers
treehouse123, owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
I remember that morning. We had a large group of boy scouts camping all around you, you were the only couple on that side of the campground. Everyone descended on my office in the morning to complain about the loud disturbance/domestic dispute coming from your cabin at 4a.m.. What an amazing co-incidence 30 people could be wrong about that. We must have had some loud squirrels that night. Louise
Baltimore
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I have been to the Maple Tree Campground twice this year. I love it so much! The first time I went with friends and we stayed in the crowsnest. It was a blast!! The treehouse is very cute and cozy. Perfect for the summer with open screens. We stayed in a cottage the second time because it is December and it was such a good time. Each site has a stone fire pit and a grill which makes cooking and s'mores fun and easy to do! Louise was very helpful while we were trying to figure out the woodburning stove in the cottage and with how much wood we needed to buy. She also gave us salt for the steps when there was freezing rain so we wouldn't slip. The cottage was absolutely adorable, with painted walls and pictures. The woodburning stove kept it nice and toasty and we were able to cook on it. The bathroom is really nice too. Very clean and always well stocked. The shower is neat because it is outside with an open roof but still private. We didn't use it because it was pretty cold outside but I can't wait to go back and try it out!
The campground is really nice and you can tell they are working very hard to make it better. Louise is very sweet and went out of her way to make our stay really nice. Calvin was so helpful when we were buying wood. He took the time to make sure we got good wood for our fire. They do a great job running the campground!
The location of this campground is wonderful. Easy to find and there are a lot of places around to visit. Louise gave us a good map of the area so we could find parks, trails, and all sorts of things to do during the day.
The Maple Tree Campground is a wonderful place to spend a weekend camping. We were planning our next trip there before our camping trip was even over! We will definitely go back to camp there again! Hopefully some time soon!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank campingiscool
Seattle
Reviewed December 10, 2009

I was lucky enough to spend a few days in their treehouse campground and felt that i had stepped back in time. The trees were in color and it was a perfect place to use as a home base to explore the historic sites of the area. Louise and Calvin were very friendly and helpful. I would like to go back during the other seasons so that i can see more of the beautiful countryside. A great place ! Keith Busha

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank ketosmith
Parkton, Maryland
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We had planned a tent campout with our Boy Scout Troop for the weekend of Dec 5-6, 2009 at the Maple Tree Campground. Our intent was to do some hiking near Harpers Ferry. By the time we arrived at the Campground the snow was falling fast. Our hosts at Maple Tree graciously offered us the use of 3 treehouses at no extra cost in case the weather proved too much. Some of us tent camped but the boys couldn't resist the opportunity to stay in the tree houses. These are fun little open air bunk houses built up in a large tree. We ended up with about 5 inches of heavy snow that made for a wet, cold weekend but the boys loved it.
Maple Tree sells huge bundles of hardwood (ours looked to be almost all oak) for $8. Great service, fun location about a 10 minute walk to the Appalachian Trail at Gathland and very close to Harpers Ferry. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2009
4 Thank CraigGoHokies
treehouse123, owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, December 8, 2009
We enjoyed having you and think you are very brave to tent camp in the snow!! Thanks, see you next time, Louise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gapland
Knights inn Knoxville Harpers Ferry
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Antietam Overlook Farm
Antietam Overlook Farm
#1 of 3 in Keedysville

Been to Maple Tree Campground? Share your experiences!