“WOW- We LOVE Maple Tree Campground!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maple Tree Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gapland
Maple Tree Campground
Lansdale, PA
“WOW- We LOVE Maple Tree Campground!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2009

We came to MD to visit family in from Idaho in the middle of the week , the Wed - Friday before 4th of July. It was my daughter, 4 year old grandaughter, 8 month old Golden Retriever and me. Kind of a girls getaway too (well the golden is a boy but he just goes with the flow)! We stayed in the Maple Cottage. Generally we tent camp because we bring our dog(s) with us but my daughter has a broken leg and is on crutches so we decided a cabin was the way to go. Although the reviews were good we are always apprehensive about new campgrounds so really weren't sure what to expect. After several emails and calls to Louise, who is WONDERFUL, we decided to book here. To start from the beginning, Louise, answered all of my emails very quickly and was so nice on the phone I was immediatley comfortable making the reservation. When we got to the campground check in was a breeze. Now to the cottage. It was Wonderful! The sites are huge and private. Cottage was rustic just like we wanted so we still had the feel of camping with a terrific stone fire ring and a huge charcoal grill. The cottage had 2 large beds with 2 twin bunks above so I guess it could have slept 6 easily! There was a huge picinic table with benches and a wood stove, which we didn't need as the weather was ok. We did have the windows closed at night but were comfortable even though it was chilly outside. Everything was so clean and neat. We loved everything about it right down to the wood plank floors! The bathrooms were a short walk from the cottage as was water and the outdoor showers (which were very private with plenty of hot water when I was there). The bathrooms and showers were always clean and neat. There is plenty of firewood to purchase at a very reasonable price at the office too, as well as the other little things that you might need, like fire starters (we aren't too good at getting a fire started). Inside the cottage the attention to detain was lovely! There were a few nice pictures on the walls, a table cloth and silk flowers on the table. To me it's the little touches that made it so comfortable. Oh and not to forget because there are no RVs it is incredibly quiet and peaceful! Day and night! You hear nature not generators!

The location is great too! Only a short drive to Harpers Ferry, Frederick and I think it was about 30 minutes to the Leesburg, VA shopping outlets! And right next door to the Gapland State Park.

Louise and her staff in the office were so helpful and easy to talk to! I am so sorry that I didn't get everyones names! By the time we left we knew we would be back! I can't wait to go in the fall for a long weekend to just rest and unwind with the change of the seasons or maybe later in the summer too! I would be there every weekend if I lived closer than 3 1/2 hours away!!! Thank you so much Louise and staff for a wonderful stay and for making me feel so welcome and comfortable you are all THE BEST!!!! A Home away from home!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank mgrebe
treehouse123, ownwer at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Thank you Ms M, it was great having you here. We'll see you next time. Thank-you again, Louise.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
megernand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

This year would have been my third year at camp and I love every minute of it. My friends and I always go Memorial Day weekend and it's a blast. We stay in the tree cottages which are always very clean and have awesome beds. The mattresses there are more comfortable then mine at home!! During the past years we have gone out almost everyday and gone hiking but this year we just relaxed by the fire and it was great! Nothing to worry about except keeping the fire going. I also love cooking on an open flame, I eat better at camp then I do at home.The campgrounds are in a beautiful area of MD, very quiet, friendly people who run the camp and the other campers are very friendly too. The bathrooms are also very very clean!! I love the outdoor showers too! I wish I could stay for a week!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank megernand
treehouse123, owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, June 19, 2009
thank-you
Denton, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

Favorites- sunshine in the outdoor shower, very helpful and friendly camp hostess and host, setting- privacy, location to GREAT things to do.

I usually stay in state parks- not much on private campgrounds- but this one was just fine. We had no issues with anything, had fun, will return.

Basically there are 2 people keeping this place going, and its a lot of work. How they kept the bathrooms clean on a fully booked weekend I have no idea, but they did, even in the rain with the mud. We were in a treehouse, was very rustic, usually do tents and was glad not to have to set that up! The rain on the tin roof is always an amazing sound.

Service was outstanding, bring your good neighbor attitude and you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank searcher94
thank-you very much....see you again
Baltimore, Md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

Absolutely love this place! Great place to escape the daily grind and relax around the fire. I go to be lazy and get away, while going on the occasional hike. But if you are looking for more action, there are plenty of fun things to do close-by. The AT provides a nice hike, not to mention the view from Weaverton cliffs! Think I might try the kayaking next year! The cottages and bathrooms are always extremely clean, by normal standards, let alone camping standards. Showering outside, under the stars is amazing. The showers are one of my favorite parts! Although, there is the rare occasion when the hot water is limited. Guess that's what I get for waiting so long ;)
I am in my mid-20's, and I go every year, for Memorial day weekend, with some friends. This was my 3rd year and I have never taken someone who did not love it. There is a great mix of kids and adults and everyone is very mindful of one another. This place does an excellent job of providing a very diverse camping experience. I have met people at the tent sites that think it is just rugged enough for them, and the cottages are plenty comfortable to relax.
Can't wait for next year!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank motigon13
treehouse123, owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, June 6, 2009
thank-you young person!! Very sweet of you. I am so glad you enjoy it.....louise
DC Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

Stumbled on this place looking for campsites in Maryland, and will definitely go back. "Tree houses" are actually houses raised on stilts in the midst of trees. Each campsite is about 1/4 acre, far more than one would get in a more traditional campground. It was just what I was looking for -- a clean and comfortable place in a spectacular area. It feels very much family-run, and the owners could not have been nicer. Pet-friendly, and other guests were a diverse and courteous group. A winner in every respect.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank DCAroundtheWorld
Ellicott City, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

This was our first time camping at the Maple Treehouse Campground and we were all pleased with the accomodations and did not have any issues with stinkbugs as with one of the reviews noted last fall. We had 4 families and reserved the 3 new tree cottages: Willow, Cypress, Bonsai and 1 tree house Oriole. This was a perefct set-up where we could have one main campfire at Willow and then the other tree cottages were close by when we wanted to put the kids to bed. The tree cottages were really nice and well-kept. Great accomodations and camping made easy. We could enjoy the outdoors without being on top of each other. The kids enjoyed the trails and also the campground store. Highly recommend this place to others, there was plenty to do in the area and the owner was very nice and helpful in setting up reservations if needed. The bathroom facilities were well kept and clean. We all loved the outdoor shower as well. We will be back again in the fall. Thank you, Jeneane

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank j9lach
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

We loved our stay at the Maple Tree Campground and have plans to go back. We live in Washington, DC and this is a GREAT weekend get-away! I stayed in treehouse 'Woodpecker'. I was with friends and several 8 year old girlscouts. Some in my group stayed in an enclosed cottage/tree-house. I have camped a lot in all sorts of places (back country, state campgrounds, county campgrounds, national parks and private campgrounds). It's important to assess a place by what it is and adjust you're expectations accordingly: This is not wilderness back country camping and it's not a motel. It's rustic with some comforts and conveniences and charming details that you won't find in a public campground. It's a wonderful place to enjoy the outdoors. I thought there was plenty of privacy, space and green growth between treehouses. Each treehouse has a picnic table and firepit surrounded by stones.

I LOVED the open air shower! It was great to take a hot shower and look up at the stars! I used a small lantern. There was plenty of room. I enjoyed the stone floor under my barefeet and the rustic wood walls. The indoor flush toilets and sinks (very clean), the covered deck by the horseshoe pit, the camp store, and other well crafted details like stone steps, rope hand "rails" on steep trails, the names of the treehouses, the Enchnated Forest mural in the pavillion, flower pots, etc. make for a charming and not-too-much-doing-without creature comforts camping experience. The treehouses contribute to this a great deal. Open air camping without setting up a tent! The roads and trails were fine. The campground is on a mountain side.

This is a great place to enjoy the outdoors. Great hiking. Very close to Harpers Ferry (tubing) and horseback riding. The kids had a blast. We stayed up late into the night, after the kids went to sleep, sitting by the campfire talking and watching the stars. For anyone who wants an outdoors experience, enhanced with personal touches and some creature comforts, set in a beautiful area rich in history (and very close to DC) I very much reccommend the Maple Tree Campground.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank tiamook
treehouse123, owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
Dear Delightful,
Thank you for getting it. We work tirelessly here making things beautiful and when people, as your self, appreciate it, it makes a complete circle, and makes us feel good about all our hard work. Thank you for that, louise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gapland
Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry
#1 of 3 in Keedysville
Thomas Shepherd Inn
Thomas Shepherd Inn
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown

Been to Maple Tree Campground? Share your experiences!