“Not Our Best Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gapland
Maple Tree Campground
Reviewed May 30, 2011

First of all the owners are very nice people. They keep the place clean. That being said, if you have camped in State Parks, you probably will not like this place. First, the roads are not paved. They are muddy, rocky and steep. You need a monster truck to climb the muddy hills or you're car will break or get stuck in the mud. We saw numerous 4-wheel drive trucks skidding as they tried to get up the hill. My Honda Element was damaged the first day camping here. The rocks ripped the muffler off the car as we tried to navigate up to our campsite. I had to find a local mechanic and leave my car there overnight. Furthermore, my campsite was up the hill where I couldn’t take my car to drop off my things so I had to end up hiking up and down with all my heavy equipment. There is only one bathroom facility and there was a line in at the shower. Also, that is the only location for water, so be prepared to carry it all up the hill to your site. The owners said they are working on getting more showers. The location of the campground is nice. It is near Harpers Ferry and Gathland State Park so there are lots of things to see and do. If you do go there, I recommend getting a site/treehouse near the check-in/office. All the sites north of that are steeply uphill.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sunvacationerm
treehouse123, Owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2011

Sorry to hear you had a less than perfect experience. We do have 4 sites, the Wildebeest, Cougar, Badger, and Otter that are 4 wheel drive access only. All wheel drive with a low wheel base is not good enough, and I will modify my web site to make that distinction. Thank you for the feed-back. Many people enjoy the seclusion and "off-road" feel to the more secluded camp spots.
The rest of the roads are passable without 4 wheel drive, but anyone with a very low wheel base should park down by the office.
This past Spring we had a tremendous amount of rain, torrential, in fact, and 2 floods. If you were camping on a week end when there was a flash flood, it was more challenging than normal.
Torrential rains and floods do damage the roads, as we are on top of a mountain. Afterwards, we get the tractor out and fix the roads. But, it takes time, it doesn't happen the instant after a flood, that usually happens Monday morning.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

I had heard good things about this campground and with it being close to wineries, farms, and tubing, it seemed like the perfect memorial day weekend getaway. The campground was indeed very quaint and in a fantastic location, but the staff just put a damper on our experience. I felt the whole time they were just trying to scam us into paying more money. Despite being very respectful and whispering around the campfire, staff came around at 11 on the dot to warn us that we could be charged a 250 dollar nuisance fee. This is something that they had already warned of us when we made the reservation and when everyone in our party checked in - thus we were already being very careful to be quiet - we even had someone go to a neighboring campsite to ensure we couldn't be heard. The next day after we checked out, we got a call from the staff who accused of us lying about the number of people in our group to try to get more money of us. Overall a pretty place, but with so many other campsites in the area its definitely not worth dealing with the moody, greedy staff.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank LenahN
treehouse123, Owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2011

Did you ever see that movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" with Kathy Bates? From 1988, ancient. Remember the scene in the parking lot when she finally learns to stand up for herself: "Tawanda!!" That is one of my favorite scenes of all time.
Well, the Nuisance Fee is our "Tawanda." ' Avenger of wrongs.' It protects us from destructive people, dis-honest people, and dis-ruptive people. And, it works. We hold it in sacred trust. There is no way we are interested in "scamming money" with it, because our bottom line is peace, quality of life, and Above All, a good nights' sleep.
When I moved back to the campground in 2006 I spent every Friday and Saturday night, often until 3 a.m., asking people to "please keep it down." The place was over-run by loud late-night partiers, and now, for the most part, it is a very different place, mostly families, very quiet. The Nuisance Fee has done it's job as a deterrant. As far as people having more people on site than were registered, according to neighbors?.... we are going to now change our system of check in so there will be no more ambiguity with numbers. (if a store sells a loaf of bread for 4.00, it isn't "greedy" to collect 4.00 instead of 2.00)

Reviewed May 28, 2011

The location is excellent as it is convenient to Harper's Ferry, the Appalachian Trail, and Antietam battlefield. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our treehouse was comfortable and cute; negatives were the dust and stinkbugs inside. The open-air bathhouses were well designed, although the bathhouse facilities were inadequate when the campground was busy (weekends). Improvements are needed for the roads (deep ruts and rocks, almost impassable for cars), and parking spaces (mud, when there had been rain.- Gravel would have been nice). Also, the poison ivy is out of control and hard to avoid. We did have an enjoyable time overall.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank meemo1
treehouse123, Owner at Maple Tree Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2011

Hi,
We actually put about $1,000 worth of gravel on the roads in early Spring, and the major flooding that happened about 6 weeks ago washed it into the field. We did, however scoop it out with a tractor and re-apply it. Road maintenance is routine, like mowing the grass.
Many people navigate the country road without incident. It does require a little finesse, if there is a rock, you drive around it, if there is a rut you straddle it, if there is an incline you gently accelerate without any hesitation and keep your speed very consistent.
I believe everyone in the Region is managing stink bugs, we vaccuum them consistently and have cordless vacuums in the office for anyone who needs, generally it takes 3 minutes to vacuum them out of a window sill in the evening if it is a warm Spring day, they are gone in the summer, and then in Fall we go back to managing them with vacuums.
We have a cleaning crew and they come every Sunday to sweep and mop.....
But, honestly, anyone bothered by dust really should stay in a hotel instead of going camping.
We never stop improving this place, but, by the same token, it will never be perfect,
It is what it is, and most people love it for what it is...., but I am realistic and I understand I won't be able to please everyone, no matter how hard I try.

Reviewed May 11, 2011

This was our second trip to Maple Tree Campground. Once again we had a wonderful experience. We can't say enough what a unique, well kept, family oriented place this is. We have two small children and again opted for a "tree cottage" which serves as a mini home away from home which is nice for those with young kids who aren't quite ready to "rough it". We decided to give the outdoor shower a try and it was really neat showering looking up seeing the sky above you. The bathrooms are spotless and a quick walk from the tree cottage (once again important with small kids!) The entire property is very well kept and the owners once again were very friendly. The price for a newer tree cottage is $70 per night and firewood $11. We felt the pricing was very reasonable considering the amenities and cleanliness of the facilities and property. As for the firewood I'd much rather pay someone else to chop and split it so we felt that too was a reasonable price. Our boys had a great time and we look foward to many more trips to the Maple Tree Campground!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank shasha1946
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We stayed in the Hickory Treehouse over New Years weekend. After reading the owners advice on the website we packed appropriately and had a great time. The woodstove kept us toasty warm and we were able to cook our meals on top in a cast iron skillet. The owner was friendly and accomodating and was always available when we needed to buy wood, etc. We will definitely return during the warmer weather to hike the Appalachian Trail and site see at Antietem and Boonsboro.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaneDoe723
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I recently returned from back-to-back weekends at the Maple Treehouse Camp and had a very pleasant experience. It was my sixth trip out there over the last two years and it has always been a good time. I generally go in the off-season, when colder temperatures are the norm, because a lot of other people don’t. The camp is dog-friendly and I bring my three whenever I go out. There are lots of places nearby to give them a good run. The area is knee-deep in history, and the Treehouse Camp provides a very comfortable and convenient location to all the things that interest me.
The Treehouse Camp is located in Crampton’s Gap, on the western slope of South Mountain, overlooking Pleasant Valley. Pleasant Valley is aptly named and provides a very pretty scenic vista to the west. From October Through December, flocks of migratory geese fly over shortly after dawn. It is a nice way to greet the day. The valley itself is dotted with lots of farms and not much else to spoil the view.
Cramptons’s Gap is one of three local depressions along the ridgeline of South Mountain, the other two being Fox’s and Turner’s Gaps. The Appalachian Trail runs along the crest of the ridge and can be accessed at a trailhead about a quarter of a mile from the Camp. All tree areas played an important role in the Civil War, during the Battle of South Mountain, days before Antietam. Each gap has something unique to offer, from the Arc de Triumphesque memorial to the fallen war correspondents at Crampton’s Gap, to the original Washington Monument (from which one can see into Pennsylvania/ great place for migratory raptor watching) at Turner’s Gap, to Fox’s Gap where General Reno of Reno Road fame (NW, DC) is buried. Fox’s Gap also boasts one of the most brilliant bronze castings that I have ever come across, dedicated to the soldiers from North Carolina who fell there.
There are a wide variety of options, within minutes of the Camp, to stop and grab a bite to eat. On the eastern side of South Mountain, just 10 minutes northeast of the Treehouse Camp is the South Mountain Creamery. Their products taste the way dairy is meant to taste and their meat selection is very nice as well. Crawford’s Confectionary, in Boonsboro is a good joint to grab breakfast or lunch. Can get biscuits and gravy, a birthday card and hunting supplies at the same time. The Mountainside Deli (take-out) in Boonsboro has a really good pit beef sandwich, served with fresh horseradish and a nice tangy BBQ sauce. I am generally not a fan of BBQ sauce, but this one is pretty damn good, and the meat falls apart. The coleslaw and potato salad are solid as well. Boonsboro also has a 24-hour supermarket that has any last second stuff I need to pick up. Nutter’s Ice Cream Shop in Sharpsburg is also worth a stop, even in winter. They make a great shake. I love shakes and it is one of the best that I have tasted.
Shepherdstown, WV is a super little town. Something always seems to be going on there. Their post-Thanksgiving (Black Friday) Christmas event was a really neat experience. Small town ringing in the Christmas season in a non-commercial way. Big bonfires up and down Main Street. Caroler’s singing songs and really good chili and corn bread. Even the Grinch showed up. There are lots of places to grab some food or drink. It is worth spending some time bumping around in. It has a fair number of places of interest, whatever your interests. The cemeteries take you back to the Revolutionary War, while my girlfriend prefers the quaint little shops. We always find something that we like there.

If one goes out to the area, a drive through the Antietam battlefield is well worth the diversion. Unlike Gettysburg, it does not get many visitors. It is a very moving place. Even if you don’t care about history, the stark contrast between the beauty of the landscape and the events that went on there that day make you think. It was the bloodiest day in American history. It is part of our history. Little has changed in the area since the battle and there are lots of reference materials / tour guides available that bring the place to life. Harper’s Ferry is also a quick drive from the camp and offers a pleasant historical trip, as well as numerous places that offer white-water rafting excursions. It has been well preserved in it’s 19th-Century state and offers great views of both the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. The Park Service has a number of exhibit’s dedicated to John Brown’s raid the Civil War actions that went on there. There is also a MARC station and some places to grab a snack.
The Treehouse Camp offers everything that I need to have a pleasant stay in the area. I use the tree cabins when I go up, because if I wanted to pitch a tent, I would hike the Trail. While I enjoy the backcountry experience, the comforts offered by the cabins in the camp make the cold weather months much more enjoyable. The wood-burning stoves heat the cabins to well over 70 degrees. They also double as cooking surfaces. I have prepared some great meals on those stoves. It takes a bit longer, but when you are in a simple environment, everything does. It forces one to slow down and the food seems to taste that much better.
The cabins offer a rustic experience, but something that any novice could be comfortable in with a little bit of preparation. What you bring will determine how comfortable you are. Knowing how to build a fire is very important to maintaining one’s level of comfort. Bring lots of newspaper to get the fire going. Once the cabin starts to heat, everything is good. The cabins, both old and new alike, retain their heat well. You will have to get up in the middle of the night to restock the fire, if you hope to be toasty in the morning.
The cabins differ in age, but I have had positive experiences in both the older and newer ones. I prefer one of the older ones just because it’s old stove does everything so well. The quality of the beds differs from one cabin to the other, as do the sizes of the beds. Cabins sleep six (two 2-person beds and two 1-person beds). They are bunked. I bring a foam egg crate to put on top of the mattresses, which I recommend, and sleep like a baby. Flannel sheets are worth bringing in those colder months as well. There is no electricity so one needs to bring lanterns, battery-powered devices and books/games. The bathrooms and Port-a-johns are very clean and conveniently located to the cabins, and the outdoor showers, while low-flow, get the job done. The showers shut down after it starts to freeze, but there is usually an indoor one available if you need it. Each cabin has a good BBQ and fire pit outside. Sites are located far enough from one another that you don’t feel like you have a neighbor, at least in the off-season. One can see a bonfire through the dark of night, but the cabins are pretty well spaced out. I have never felt crowded. Summertime crowds would bring a different experience I would imagine, but I have other accommodations out that way during those months, so I cannot say.
The owner of the Treehouse Camp, and her staff, have always been very accommodating towards me when I have come out. I often arrive well after dark, and the wood for my stove is waiting for me, so I can get things going. They have been pleasant and hospitable to me on all of my visits, which is why I keep going back. For a quick drive from the city, I can wake up in a completely different environment. It is well worth the commute and the modest cost to rent a cabin. I look forward to my next trip out that way.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Witchelena
Reviewed November 6, 2010

The "tree houses" were actually small cabins on stilts. But, they great for a protected sleeping area, better than a tent. We had the kids stay in the bunks and they loved it. They are all nicely located within the forest and are far enough apart for privacy. The fire pit, grill, and area around the tree house was excellent. Clean and nicely appointed. The bathrooms were port-a-potties or one had to walk back down the hill to the office for indoor plumbing. The showers were outdoors but warm. Great for summer camping, a bit cold for Fall, but they do have heated cabins available also. The owner/manager is super nice. It's a very good family-oriented campground, no frills, but great experience in the beautiful outdoors. It's close to Harpers Ferry and other outdoor activities in the area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank yfromm

Been to Maple Tree Campground? Share your experiences!