“This place has improved sooo much!”

Pirates Cove Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Galesville
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Brunswick, Maine
“This place has improved sooo much!”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Years ago, we used to say there were no good restaurants in Galesville, but last Saturday surprised us in a really good way. Tired after a day of sailing, we were too lazy to find a place further than the beginning of our pier. We split the blue fish appetizer, perfectly smoked fish with a creamy horseradish sauce, delicious pickled red onions, on fresh, soft bread. Two crab cakes followed, almost 100% crab meat, and generous in size. We also shared the seafood linguini, which was perfectly cooked, and smothered with crab. And all was quite affordable.
Other high points: Our waiter was friendly and attentive, the musicians, a half-Kareoke, half synthesizer group of two, were pleasing, and not so loud to drown out conversation, and we were seated in the bar.
A few things could use improvement: while the tartar sauce served with the crab cakes tasted fine, it had clearly been sitting out and had a sheen on the top. I have a "thing" against salads I have to toss myself, and at least the default salad serving mode was to provide the dressing on the side. I think next time, and there WILL be a next time here, I will ask if they can possibly toss the salad in the kitchen for me. Those two things seemed just a little industrial, but I still could not complain about the taste.
We were too full for dessert, so I can't report on that.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank ooonor

Maryland
“Was better in the past. Good waterside view”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Have been to Pirates Cove many times over the past few years, the food used to be good, but our last few visits a year ago, the food was just so so. The view out the window is of the marina, sail boats , the walkway, all relaxing and pleasant. There is a small roped off dining area outside where you can soak in the ambiance and sounds of the marina. If you happen to be in the area and want to stop by for a bite and sit and watch the goings on through the dining room window I'd say you'd be ok. I would not go there for the food itself. Service is usually average.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Tranquility2008
maryland
“expected better”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We went on a wednesday night. Asking to sit outside we where put at a dirty table. I asked the waitress for something to clean the table. Thinking she would bring a wet cloth and wipe the pollen off but, she just plopped down some napkins for us to do it. Should have left then. The food was ok. But the service was terrible.When I talked to the manager at the end he gave me something about she had a party of 16 also. Not my problem.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Storm886
Annapolis, Md
“Hit & MIss”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Live nearby, wanted a nice Sunday dinner. Place wasnt at all busy. Very friendly & personable waiter, who made a medicore dinner, much more palatable. Wifes fried oysters were great, my oyster sampler was not. Oysters Rockefeller was bland with wateredown spinach. All 3 oyster dishes were unseasoned & tasted like the oysters had been shucked a long time ago....no flavor of the bay/sea. I ordered a grouper sandwich. While it was good, it was not Grouper, but flounder. Wifes chicken chesapeake was perfectly cooked, she enjoyed it. As usual the walnut bread was absolutely great. We noticed we were the last diners in the waterfront dining room & at 8:20 they dimmed the lights on us| We assumed they wanted us to leave. Anyway you take your chances with what you order. The place has certainly lost their consistent edge of the past. If you do eat there ask for Rico, he's a hoot.

• Visited March 2012
Dunkirk, MD
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Went here is a bunch of friends for lunch. The food was tremendous & it didn't break the bank. I'll be back for more.