“Hot, mosquitos, bed bugs”
Review of Lena House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wodong
Lena House
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The other reviews on here are correct about the atmosphere - it is a very nice relaxed place with a friendly and helpful staff. The food (i had grilled fish) is good and reasonably priced. Included breakfast was above average.

But my stay here (just one night then I switched) was very uncomfortable, maybe my least comfortable in Indonesia. The heat and humidity is Flores bad and there is no air movement in the Lena House bungalows so it is even worse.

Maumere is a high malarial zone and the mosquitos around Lena House are pretty bad. The beds are fairly comfortable and have nets but holes - some are patched and some are not.

The worst part was that I was in a bungalo with bed bugs. 24 hours after checking out and I have about 30 total welts in lines of three - breakfast lunch and dinner - all over my back and arms. They itch really bad in this heat and I don't care where you are, bed bugs in my book are not acceptable.

So ok place but you better have a low standard of comfort.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Buhjet-backpacker
Didakus S, Owner at Lena House, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment. We appreciate your straight out writing about your ‘bad experience’ in wet season in Lena house. We are very sorry to hear that you were suffering struggle with heat, humidity, mosquitos and bed bugs during your stay. We are also very sad that most of other guest experienced good things during their stay, but you experienced just the opposite.
Since reading your review, we have taken extra action for massive cleaning for the bed bugs. We dried out the spring-bed and the bed structures, sprayed with special liquid. We check and double check. Now, it is clean. We realized since begining that sooner or later, some mobile people would carry the bed bugs to our simple bungalows from some where. This quiet creature might travel on some one’s bag and land at our huts. Most of mobile people didn’t realize their existence in their pocket some times. But any way, we already and will always take control for them and double check every week.
Mosquitos are very common in wet season surrounding us. Our lena 1 is close to rice field beside us owned by local poor farmers, so the swamp area causes those to growing fastly. It is better to stay in Lena 2, ten minutes walk from Lena 1 on the beach in wet season, as it is located on dried surroundings. We suggest for all guest to have repellent, or coil when they come to any guest house in our area. For 2014, we are sewing new mosquito net for all of our bed. The old and hole net have been used for four years since the beggining. We already decided to replace all the net since the end of 2013. We are now also preparing mosquito racket in every room in Lena 1.
So, again sorry for your bad experience this time. We welcome you to visit and stay with us again and experience our improvement in the future with more comfort.

Didakus

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Can't write all the incredible memories about this place. Although the beach is not the best in Indonesia (coral is destroyed and dark sand) the atmosphere is fantastic. You only need to think about your next meal choice and if you're making a snorkeling trip or just staying on the beach.

Mr. Didakus and his family do their best to keep the familiar style of guesthouse. The food is the best we ate in Indonesia and, glutenfree adaption is possible.

Of course, you should go on a snorkeling trip to the near spots (Pulau Babi, Pangabatan...) and have a one day trip to the Egon Volcano. Then you only have to rest in the clean and confortable bungalows at 4 or 5 metres to the sea shore.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Arriving at Lena house was a huge relief for us. We just came from Maumere from the Gardena guest house (not te be recommended) We need to extend our visa and need a sponsor. In contrary to Gardena people who charge a lot of money and call it helping, sir Didacus of Lena house was happy to help us free of charge. Besides the friendliness the food is also great and reasonably priced. Bungalows are basic but cute. If you stay in Maumere just take a bemo and go here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I spent a few days in Lena House while I was waiting for my visa extension. The bungalows are basic but clean, with nice view to the beach. The location is perfect to relax for a few days. The beach is clean and with normal local life (children playing, fishermen coming back from fishing or taking care of their nets...), which is very enjoyable if you're coming from a touristy place. The staff is very discreet and friendly and Didakus helped me a lot for my visa extension. All that for a very fair price. I strongly recommend this place!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed four nights in this incredibly basic and simple beach bungalow. It is right on the beach and Lena 2 was four hundred meters from the main building and restaurant. You have to walk down the beach to reach lena 2 making it delightfully quiet and isolated. At high tide a boat is (sometimes!) available to transport you for breakfast and dinner. It is a little hit and miss but a starlight boat trip to dinner adds to the charm of the place.
Excellent local trips can be arranged with the owner very cheaply and we particularly recommend the snorkelling boat trip to the islands where we were lucky enough to swim with reef sharks.
The food is of good quality and reasonably priced. Our only concerns were the lack of cleaning during our stay. In four days the room was not cleaned, swept or indeed the bins emptied but we don't want to be too harsh on a small homestay that is charging very little. It is perfect if you like isolation and can deal with very basic facilities and intermittent water and electricity. If you need boutique it's not for you!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We began our holiday here at Lena house and are so glad we did.

Didakus and his family are very welcoming and keen to share local knowledge with you. As other reviews mention the beach is not the most spectacular in Indonesia but more than makes up for it for the location.

The bamboo bungalows were great, good mossie nets (although malaria is not as common in east Flores) and great semi outdoor bathroom/mandi.

Be sure to hire a motorbike and ride into the mountains as they are spectacular and the ride is great fun.

Didakus is a very engaging host and invited Emma and I to come and visit the NGO where he works, as Emma is in a similar field.

Highly recommend having the fish curry and grilled fish (kingfish when we were there), some of the best food of our trip.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Ben_Foster_84
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I came to Lena House because I had to wait for a flight, and having already stayed in Maumere for a few days as a single female traveler, I was in need of some peace and a break from the predominantly Male town. Lena house is approx 25km from Maumere, an easy ride down a straight, flat road along the coast.

When I arrived I was immediately sure I was going to be very happy here. The bungalow I stayed in was really pretty and had an organically themed bathroom which I thought was really cool. The room was basic but so clean and well kept and the mattress on my bed was so comfortable - I had the best sleep. I had a little balcony facing the sea, and it has lots of little corals on the edges making it so pretty.

The area consists of 4 bungalows (There is also another site with more bungalows just a little way down the beach) and there is a restaurant area in the middle, They have a dog, chickens, and pigs, so with the organically themed bathroom and garden it really makes for a natural experience, I thought it was great. The sea is right there for you to swim in, it's very clean. And Didakus can arrange for snorkeling trips and also other trips such as a visit to the local Volcano. However Lena house is also perfect for relaxing and having a nice rest before you move on to your next trip. I did go snorkeling on one of the days i was there and it was great. I saw a trumpet fish that day actually!

The food was very nice, the breakfast was perfect and a good size unlike some other places. The prices are very reasonable and give great value to your stay.

Didakus does also have an internet modem which guest can use in their laptops for a fair price per hour.

The family are so nice and make you feel so welcome. The restaurant makes for a good area to socialize and it seemed a few people would have some nice evening chats there.

I highly recommend Lena House, especially if you are a budget traveler looking for somewhere nice to stay after a long trip through Flores and are waiting for a flight, or if you need to do a Visa run, Maumere does have the immigration office there so many people do come here for that.

Room Tip: If the sea facing bungalows are available Didakus will offer them to you first! Very nice view to wa...