“Very good Thai food”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2010

For my birthday, I wanted to have Thai food. We went to this restaurant on the recommendation of a friend. The chicken larb, green curry, Penang curry, and mango and sticky rice were very good. The Thai iced tea was good too.

I definitely disagree with the reviewer who said the portions were small. I had some of the Penang curry and mango and sticky rice as leftovers and they were both delicious.

The music could use some adjustment though. It's rather cheesy Musak-y music. I would have preferred something more Thai-y. Also, the backs of the chairs are not very comfortable.

Overall, two thumbs up. If I lived in Gaithersburg or Rockville instead of Silver Spring, I would definitely go regularly.

2  Thank GaryInSilverSpring

Reviewed December 29, 2009

The good -
This restaurant has good food. It has plenty of spice, and the flavor is authentic in thai. I give the food a 6 out of 10. While it is good, it doesn't have the layers of flavor that thai food usually does. The flavors were simple and I expect complex flavors from thai food.

The Great -
Ease of ordering, quick preperation, and quality of ingredients. The vegetables tasted and felt fresh, we called our order in, and by the time we got there it was ready as promised. I was very pleased with the quality and expediency of their service.

Why you'd avoid -
The portions were tiny. We ordered the dinner portion figuring we could have some left over to snack on after lunch. Not only didn't we have any leftovers, but the two dishes we ordered would have only been enough for one and a half people. If ordering for two, make sure you get three of the dinner portions. Also, considering the portion size, and that it is a mom and pop business, the prices were outragious. It cost me and my wife $24.95 and none of the dishes were seafood.

I don't know if we will return yet, but I know I will be trying other Thai restaurants first.

1  Thank blewjaye
Reviewed November 21, 2008

I have eaten in various Thai places in Maryland. This by far is my favorite because of the prices and the staff. Everything we have tried was delicious. I recommend all the different curries, larb gai, tom ka gai soup, pad tai... well everthing. This place was recommended to my wife and I by a friend and we always recommend it to others. Not only are the prices great. The staff is friendly, it is like being welcomed by my grandfather. After the first visit he remembered us on the second visit. After we found out about this place it is the only Thai place we go in Maryland.

2  Thank MIILovetoeat
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Staffed by one of Tara Thai's original cooks, the menu is almost identical, the food easily just as good, and it is never crowded.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 26, 2008

good pad thai at a cheap price. most plates where between $7 and $13 . Will definitely go again

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook