“Needs Updating”

Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Below what I have come to expect from Hilton. The room was in desperate need of updating. The first room I was given had smelled like it was cleaned with a dirty rag. The staff was friendly and professional and did not have any issue switching my room. The Rooks Corner, although expensive, was very good. The reason for a 2 is because it is such a desperate need of an update.

1  Thank IAHawkeyes99
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Hello IAHawkeyes99—thank you for taking the time to post a response about your recent stay at the Hilton Gaithersburg. I am sorry that you weren’t happy with your originally assigned room, but glad that we were able to take care of you in a professional and friendly manner. I have had our Executive Housekeeper look into your concerns and the cleaning issues have been corrected. Thank you also for your comments about our restaurant. Please come back soon as we have recently changed our menu and you will find some new and creative items to tempt your palate.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Me and 2 friends came here because we didn't want to have to drink & drive so we chose a hotel close by to a party we were at to walk to and crash at. Little did we know, that this hotel has 0 tolerance.

We came here, not even lying, inebriated enough not to be able to drive home so we were really planning on crashing here. We may have made a bit of noise but instead of getting a hotel call warning us to be quiet, or even someone coming up to tell us, we got police.

Yeah, the hotel literally called the police to "escort" us off the premise without a prior warning whatsoever. I mean, we were trying to be responsible and not drink & drive; however, little did we know, they had other plans.

So, the cops came and gave us no choice to leave AND we still had to pay for the room, that's just freaking ridiculous. On top of the that, one of the idiotic cop broke the bathroom door and said we have to pay for it! There was no hotel staff present with the cops!!! What kind of service is this? I went downstairs, literally asked the women in the front desk why she called the cops on us, and she said there was NO NOISE COMPLAIN, but she heard that we were loud. THERE WAS NO WARNINGS WHATSOEVER!

We were scrambling trying to figure out where to go, what to do because our cars were there. I ended up WALKING home, 2 hours later finally arriving. One of my friends is unreachable at this moment in time and the other slept outside in their car which we weren't even allowed to do... but he was able to sneak away and just get into his car and sleep.

This is just ridiculous. I've never had an experience like this and we were all of drinking age. All-in-all, i'd avoid coming to this place. They have no respect for their customers and definitely do not know how to do business.

I've never been this heated about service received. I personally will go out of my way to defer any future business to this establishment.

To sum it up: AVOID THIS PLACE.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank chen2001md

Hello chen2001md--I have read your review thoroughly and have investigated all of your comments with the Manager on Duty, security and staff that were involved in your stay that evening. I commend you for the decision to not drink and drive, however I am sorry that utilizing our hotel did not work out exactly according to your plan. You admit that you were inebriated when you arrived. After you vacated the room(s), we found a large amount of empty alcohol containers, spilled wine, beer cases and the bath tub being used as a cooler. Perhaps, as a result of these circumstances, some of the interpretations of events, or information relayed to you by your friends are not quite clear or accurate. I have found out from our Manager on Duty that there was a significant amount of noise and that many people not registered in the hotel were going in and out of your room. You or someone in your group was spoken to more than one time, but the noise and disturbance (there was even a “Beer Pong” event going on in the room on a table that you brought in) did not subside. As we had a full hotel with the responsibility for the safety and quiet enjoyment of all other guests in the hotel, we had no choice but to call the police. It was then in their hands and they handled it like a police matter of disturbing the peace. That they chose to put you out of the hotel was not a matter of negotiation. We do have respect for our customers and do know how to run the business, which is why we took the actions that we did.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I spent an evening at the Hilton Gaithersburg after spending a day in Washington, D.C. We arrived late in the evening, and the check in staff was helpful. We are Hilton Honors members, so we received complimentary breakfast vouchers and our room was on the 12th floor with a balcony. The room was clean and fairly well appointed. While it was apparent that the hotel was older since the bathroom was smaller, the room was updated with newer fixtures and a flat-screen tv. There was free WIFI and complementary bottled water and chocolate for HHonors members in the room.

In the morning, we went down to the breakfast buffet. It would typically cost $16 a person without the voucher. While the food was above the average continental "pastries and cereal," it was definitely not worth $16. The best item was the omelet since it was made right in front of you.

Everyone at the hotel was pleasant, especially a manager at the breakfast. He was very conversational and you could tell that he was putting his best foot forward.

Overall, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnnySalon28
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Hello Echelmeier1- Thank yo0u for choosing the Hilton Gaithersburg for your recent visit to Washington D.C. As a Hhonors member, I realize that you have a lot of choices and appreciate the fact that you chose us. Your comments are well received and you have mentioned many of the things that we are very proud of. It makes it more worthwhile providing such services when we know that they matter to our guests. I will share your comments with our staff and hope that you choose us again for your next visit to the Washington D.C. area.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were in town for a lacrosse tournament during power outage. The hotel was crowded and they attempted to accomodate everyone. Staff was stressed but rose to the occasion. Rooms were clean and nice and cool. Hallways were quiet. Did not use pool area. Bar area was nice but never really saw anyone using it.. Wanted to sit in lobby and eat take out dinner with family but was told could not sit in lobby with food from outside. Understandable, but no one was in lobby at the time so thought they could have allowed that. All in all would stay again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Hello N R—Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay at the Gaithersburg Hilton. I appreciate your positive comment and your understanding for the stressful situation we were in during the aftermath of a severe storm with very high winds and prolonged power outages. Fortunately we did not lose power, so I am glad that this did not impact you. We will be looking forward to welcoming you back during next year’s tournaments.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I booked two nights in this hotel for a business trip to Gaithersburg. I am a Hilton Hhonors Diamond member, so I try to stay in Hilton-brand properties whenever possible. The hotel is right around the corner from the facility I was visiting. I looked on tripadvisor and saw some bad reviews, but also a lot of positive reviews, so it seemed like a reasonable choice.

The first thing I noticed was that the common areas seemed a bit dingy and dirty, with some trash on the floor, and a few "Caution - wet floor" signs set out on floors that were dry and obviously hadn't been cleaned in a while. At check-in, I found that many of the reviews here are correct - the staff wasn't exactly rude, but they certainly weren't warmly welcoming either.

The first non-smoking room I was given had obviously been smoked in, so I went back and asked for a room change. I got a new room, but apparently the change was more than the front desk clerk could handle (more on that later).

The hotel is old, so the rooms are small, especially the bathrooms. I don't mind this, as long as the room is clean. This one had clean sheets and towels, but that was about it. The carpet is old, worn, and stained. The furniture is shabby and banged up. The bathroom fixtures appeared clean, but the toilet seat looked (and felt) as old as the hotel, and there were bits of toothpaste and other dirt stuck to the wallpaper around the sink area. The in-room coffee service only had decaf coffee packets.

The walls and ceiling transmit sound very well, so I could hear activity from other rooms all around me. The air conditioner was a travesty - every time the compressor kicked in, it growled and vibrated like a diesel truck motor, making it very difficult to maintain uninterrupted sleep.

As I mentioned, there was obviously some problem when I changed rooms. I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant, and when I charged my meal to the room, the server argued with me over my room number. He would not let me leave until he went and verified the room number I had written down. When he came back, he told me my room number was wrong, that I was actually staying in the room I had moved from, and he implied that I was trying to pull a scam.

The final insult came at 11pm that night. I had just fallen asleep when the room phone rang. It was Guest Services calling, and the woman asked me, "Are you the guy who asked for a wake-up call?" I had not, and certainly didn't want one at 11pm. She asked me for my name three times before finally understanding that I didn't ask for a wake up call, and then she hung up. No apology at all. I then spent a restless night, being awakened every time the air conditioner started up.

I left the hotel and checked into another one the next day. If this hotel meets Hilton's standards, then Hilton's standards are so low that I may need to reconsider my loyalty to the Hilton brand.

1  Thank NeenerNeener

Hello NeenerNeener—Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Washington DC North/Gaithersburg. I have shared your comments in detail with those of our managers who have responsibility for the areas of concerns that you detailed. Needless to say, we do not take these comments lightly and have spent much time taking corrective actions. As a team, we are sorry that you were so disappointed in your stay. We value your feedback and are looking very closely in all areas of concern. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future so that we might have a chance to show you a better experience than you had on this stay.
GeneralManager

Reviewed July 24, 2012

The room I had reserved (King) was not available and I was given a double bed room which was no real big deal, but still strike 1.
Turn down a bed and what do I find? Two large blood spots.
Called management and they quickly came down and pulled the sheets. (I have photos)
Now waiting for housekeeping to come by and make up the bed.
Never staying here again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
2  Thank gasman59
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Hello gasman59—thank you for posting a review of your stay and more importantly for bringing this most concerning issue to my attention. I apologize that we were not able to provide you with the room type you requested and even more so for the issue you encountered in your room. We have investigated and are unable to pinpoint the cause of the problem, but have stepped up or inspection procedures to ensure that it will not happen again. I’d be pleased if you would give us another opportunity to prove that we can provide you with the highest level of service and accommodations.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2012

the carpet had a huge stain. was woken up by cigarette smoke and loud music next door. the front desk was quick in responding, but when i asked to be moved to another room because of the cigarette smoke the manager acted like it was a big inconvenience and like i was being unreasonable and even suggested that i was imagining the smell. i think i know what cigarette smoke smells like. definitely won't be coming back.

2  Thank spacedog

Hello spacedog—Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Gaithersburg Hilton. I only wish it could have been more postivie. Certainly we should have moved you without question if you were not satisfied with your room and I am disappointed that this did not happen that way. I have shared your comments with our Rooms Operations Manager and director of Housekeeping and the issues will be corrected.
Thank you for letting me know and we hope to see you back on a future stay.