“Great stay! Great staff, clean and spacious rooms!”

TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Stayed here for one night with my wife and infant son. Got a very good AAA rate and took advantage of it. Upgraded to a very spacious one bedroom suite. Included kitchen with full fridge, stove, and microwave. Would definitely recommend. Take note that it's in a middle of a business park area, but still accessible to everything.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
dattardi, owner and management group at TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2009

Hello, ApontePR -

Thank you so much for your feedback about our TownePlace Suites by Marriott Gaithersburg! We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are very pleased that you had a great experience at our hotel.

We take pride in providing the best guest service in the industry, so we are glad to know we met all your expectations... plus a little bit more.

Thanks again and we hope to have the pleasure to serve you and your family again soon!

Always,
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Gaithersburg

Reviewed March 2, 2009

If you're on business, do yourself a favor and drive a few minutes down the road to either the Marriott Washingtonian or the Marriott Courtyard Gaithersburg. They are so far superior to this hotel that they make this look like a roadside motor-lodge. I arrived late and was locked out. When I arrived I was told to wait until someone could assist me. After the attendant took a call and "finished his nightly notes" he checked me in. I just got off a miserable 4 hour car ride...THANKS! I also tried 3x unsuccessfully for a wake up call. No answer. To top it all off, the wireless interned was "out of service." Like I said, go down another 3 minutes to true Marriott properties. This one is "owned and managed" by someone else.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank 8675309e9
dattardi, owner and management group at TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2009

Hello, 8675309e9 –

First of all, thank you very much for your feedback in your TripAdvisor review. We appreciate your visit to the hotel and for taking the time to submit a review. We take all reviews very seriously, as we look for every opportunity we can get to improve our service.

Having said that, we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you had at our hotel, and we regret that your stay didn’t meet all your expectations.

As you know, as a TownePlace Suites by Marriott, our hotel is most suitably designed for extended-stay guests, and therefore is much smaller and less overstated than other, full-service Marriott’s. However, that is not to say that we are not aptly equipped to meet our guests needs, and we sincerely apologize for falling short of your expectations during your stay.

We are extremely regretful of the mishap during your late arrival, including missing your wake-up call requests. As a property that is designed to be an extended-stay hotel, it is important that we meet our guests’ needs and provide them with a clean, safe, and crisp hotel room, while balancing the lean resources that an extended-stay hotel affords. From years of experience, we have found that having one front desk attendant after “normal” check-in hours is the most fitting for the most number of guests, as well as the most practical for our hotel operation. However, we realize we didn’t provide you with excellent service, and we apologize. Regardless, you do raise a very valid point that, undoubtedly, represents the sentiment of a few of our guests, so I assure you that we will revisit this policy and decide if we should change it or not as we move forward. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Also, we apologize that the high-speed wireless internet was having connectivity problems during your stay. We are lucky to be able to say that such problems are few and far between at our TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg, however we assure you this is something that we are fully aware of and will address immediately.

And lastly, the next time you stay with us, please don’t hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

Again, thank you very much for your posting; we will most certainly use this feedback to improve our service, and hopefully we will have the pleasure to serve you again in the near future.

TownePlace Suites by Marriott Gaithersburg

Reviewed August 11, 2008

You get a full kitchen and a lot of space compared to most long term stay places. The staff is excellent especially the manager (forgot his name) and a young woman named Ashley who assisted us daily. You can get into D.C. in about 30 minutes if it's not morning rush time. The cookies you get in the afternoon are better than a bakery!

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank bryantl
HilaryWalsh, owner and management company at TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2009

Dear bryantl,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you liked our staff and our cookies! We strive to provide friendly and accommodating service to our guests and are glad you enjoyed our facilities, staff and your stay. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed May 27, 2008

Upon check in I was given a free upgrade to a two bedroom suite. The hotel was great- clean, comfortable rooms; friendly staff; small business center; warm cookies. The hotel was also close to shops and restaurants. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 23, 2007

My wife is a traveling nurse. She has a 13 week assignment in Gaithersburg, MD. I am a professional traveler so I am keeping us in hotels and finding great rates and keeping it all together.

We have stayed at this hotel 3 or 4 times before without this problem. I booked this trip on a hotel site you would all know, but it seems I better not tell you the name. Anyway, the room charges are paid for by the Web site, I get a deal and everyone is happy right? Wrong!

The hotel, when I checked in tried placing a $140 hold on my card. (The room charges are already paid mind you, this is extra) Then when he could not, he proceeded to tell me, "Im doing you a favor by not taking $140, instead I am taking $20. As of today he has taken $20 three times. Not even The Hilton down the street held that much.

Not only did he belittle me with this "doing you a favor" comment, he comenced arguing with me when I told him, "No other hotel I've ever stayed in placed $140 hold on my card". "Yes they do it all the time." he said. I am telling you, NO, I have never had anyone hold $140 plus room charges.

Then he said, "we need this just in case you distroy the room". I am a repeat customer . I have never hurt your precious room, I am your precious customer, This is my precious money, which I have decided to give to you.

It is tough enough counting pennies to buy gas, food, pay for rooms and other expenses to stay 500 miles away from home, Now this Marriott has decided, they want to borrow your expense money too.

Beware of the Town Place Suites Marriott in Gaithersburg, MD, If you have a choice, choose another, it aint worth it.

Dan

4  Thank ustenor
Reviewed August 2, 2007

The Towne Place Suites by Marriott in Gaithersburg, MD is an oasis in the impersonal urban sprawl of Washington D.C. Located 25 miles north of D.C. and only 7 minutes from the Shady Grove Metro station, the Towne Place Suites is designed for the extended stay traveler. My 10-year-old son and I recently spent 10 days here and both of us have been thrilled with the experience. We travel about 15 weeks a year and spend a lot of time in hotels, and I have no reservations recommending this one. As a point of reference, in the D.C. area I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt, the Willard Intercontinental, the Morrison-Clark Inn, the George, the Hay-Adams, the Hilton Gaithersburg, the Marriott in Bethesda, the Radisson in Old Town Alexandria, the Sheraton College Park and a few others that I can’t even remember.

We stayed in a two-bedroom suite and it was above and beyond our expectations. The suites are spacious and well designed. The beds are comfortable, with soft cotton linens and a cozy comforter. Each suite has a pull out couch in the living room area for overflow sleeping. The full kitchen is well stocked with all the essentials for cooking a large family meal or a quick midnight snack. The welcome basket starts you off with coffee, paper towels, salt, pepper, dishwashing soap and all the necessities, plus housekeeping comes three times a week. There are several grocery stores with 1 mile and the lobby has an “In a Pinch” pantry to quench a craving for ramen noodles or a chocolate bar. The lobby also has free coffee, tea and hot chocolate 24 hours. They provide fresh fruit in the morning and there are hot, fresh baked cookies every evening at 7:00. If you are in the mood for a steak there is a gas grill provided with a lovely picnic table under some shady trees. The grilling utensils are available from the front desk. If you prefer not to cook there is a wide array of restaurants within a short drive of the hotel. I can highly recommend Growlers Brewery and Restaurant in Old Town Gaithersburg at a great place to grab a bite or just hang out for a beer. I would recommend that you have a car, as the walk to restaurants and shopping is a bit of a distance on heavily trafficked roads.

The pool at the Towne Place Suites is nothing fancy, but the life guard loves kids and is the most attentive I have ever seen at a hotel pool. When no one is in the pool area you might see him testing the water chemicals or reading a book, but the minute someone enters, they are greeted with a warm smile and his eyes are on the water like a hawk. There is a small, but efficient exercise room with cold drinking water and towels provided. There are coin operated laundry machines just off the lobby. Throughout the hotel there is free WiFi as well as plug in Internet access in the suites. In the main lobby there are two computers and a printer for guest use.

Located right off 270, the Towne Place Suites in convenient to D.C. and other area attractions. In the lobby there is a large map with restaurants and shops listed. There is also a display of business cards with directions to all of the places you might want to go. Just grab a card and off you go. It took us 1 hour to get to Annapolis, 45 minutes to Baltimore and 30 minutes to the Washington Monuments. The grounds are kept neat and colorful, and it is clear that they are well cared for by the staff.

And speaking of the staff, that is the highlight of this hotel. I have never stayed anywhere where the staff is so attentive, thoughtful and genuinely kind. Every day I was greeted with a smile, by name! Whoever is in charge of hiring the staff knows what they are doing. And these folks are well trained, I never received a glazed over look of confusion that you sometimes get at hotels, instead, anything I requested was handled instantly. My son stopped down one night to see if the cookies were ready, but Ingrid at the front desk told him that they were still baking and would be ready in 7 minutes. We decided to go back to the room so he could change out of his wet bathing suit. 5 minutes later the phone rang and it was Ingrid calling to say that the cookies were ready. I have stayed at 5 star hotels that don’t provide that kind of consideration.

Stacey, the General Manager, is a welcoming presence who can be seen all over the hotel, involved in every aspect of the smooth running of this establishment. One day he was out helping get the plant watering system working, another time he was bringing in the fresh fruit for the next morning. William, the operations manager, keeps things running smoothly and efficiently. When I saw him addressing the staff it was in a kind and informative manner. I have a pet peeve – I hate to go to a place of business and hear gossiping or complaining from the employees – that should always be kept away from the guests. I never heard even a hint of that here, never was the staff taking personal phone calls during work time or making guests wait while they chatted with a co-worker.

I can’t remember the last time I walked away from a hotel visit knowing the names of 10 staff members. Other than needing a car to get around, I cannot think of one negative thing to say about the Towne Place Suites. We had a fabulous visit and I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ByLandorBySea
A TripAdvisor Member
Gaithersburg, MD
Reviewed March 17, 2006

First, the basic description:

The suites are a decent size and give you 2 bedrooms in some of the units. We decided to get a two bedroom unit as we've got a ton of stuff and needed the extra space. (We're in the middle of a relocation.)

The kitchenette is a small kitchen with some of the bare necessities: pots, pans, dishes, cups, etc. The real issue is that they are all very poor quality. Plates are plates, but cooking requires somewhat better equipment than something similar to what you'd use around a campfire. There IS good cabinette space and a good size refrigerator.

The bathroom is actually a good size, with a separate shower/tub/toilet & sink/vanity areas separated by doorways. This is pretty useful if you need to have more than one person getting ready in the morning, etc.

The living room area has a TV, sofa, chair, and coffee table. The sofa is a sleeper sofa. The TV system offers pay-per-view channels, as well as their regular channel line up of local channels and a few higher end channels. There are no provisions for playing DVD's, which is odd for many hotels in this day and age.

The two bed rooms are a good size, and each has its own door. Once again, there are TVs in each bed room, which is nice if you like to go to sleep watching TV.

Now the reset of our observations:

The people who run the hotel are decent folks. However, they are not extremely motivated to deal with the problems encountered by your typical long stay resident.

We've been here for 40 days, and the lack of communication by the staff and the lack for resolving certain issues can be frustrating. For example:

- The Gaithersburg TownePlace Suites offers "high speed" internet access. This was a requirement for us as I perform computer systems consulting. The "high speed" internet is about DSL speeds at maybe 512kbps down and 256kbps up. However, that's when no one else is attempting to use the internet. In the evenings access to the internet via either the wireless or wired network connection grinds to a halt. It's so slow that the Terms and Agreement page that the hotel redirects you to every time you start a new web session will not even load.

- Our toilet bowl backed up 3 times. The first two times it happened on the weekend and the hotel staff refused to get someone to come and fix it until Monday. Basically informing us that we had walk over to another building to use the office bathroom... (It was 30 degrees out the second time, with 20MPH winds.) Having to get dressed up in the middle of the night to do your business because someone is two lazy to get a maintanence engineer in is VERY fustrating.

- Half of the silverware is missing and there are really no utensils to cook with.

- Maintenance will enter you room to fix things, but will not coordinate with you when they are coming. So far there has been no communication in advance, and at least one time where the crew waited for us to leave the suite, and then performed what can only be called "the slamming of the closet doors." We don't know why, but it appears that when we returned the maintenance guy left the quickly, met us running down the stairs, and left the lights on in the room!? Moreover, the physical slamming of the doors caused the drywall to chip and leave flakes of white powder on our clothing in the two closets. Obviously, no one called us, and management will not address it.

Frankly, without improvements and a more professional environment, I'd probably not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business