“Excellent, once again” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Anchorage, Alaska
“Excellent, once again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has become an annually stop due to an meeting I attend. This time there's was construction. Other than the entrance change and lack of an official restaurant (Salons A and B are open for business !)it is business as usual. Perhaps the staff was even more friendly. There was a comraderie that made this visit even more fun.
The food was great. Housekeeping excellent. Comfy beds and a beautiful lake view. The fitness center has plenty of ellipticals, treadmills and weights. I enjoy being able to shop nearby for necessities : Target, wine, Lindt chocolate or Barnes and Noble. Plenty of restaurants too. The metro is a $14 cab ride away but a friend was able to take the bus from the metro to the hotel for under $2. Next time!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments on TripAdvisor for your recent stay at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center. Our multi-million dollar transformation will be complete in early April and I look forward to welcoming you back to our newly renovated hotel!

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Courteous staff, easy parking, great location. Close to shops, theatre, etc. nice fitness room. No highway noise in room facing lake. Overall a great experience for a relatively low price. Beds were a little lumpy.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your taking the time to give your feedback. I'm glad that you found the hotel's staff and location to have exceededd your expectations. I'll look forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit to Gaithersburg.

Middletown, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was a High School Trip to the Presidential Inauguration. I wasn't expecting much since it was a high school trip. The hotel was great!! We had a group of over a 100 and everyone had a nice room. It was clean, comfortable and a great location. It was walking distance to lots of restaurants and shops. The hotel was about and hour outside of DC but an easy drive. I don't know the cost of the hotel so I cant compare that, I would imagine it wasn't cheap due to the inauguration.

Room Tip: ask for a view towards the boardwalk.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdvisor. It's always great to hear how our hotel exceeds our guest's expectations. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us over the Inauguration and we look forward to seeing you back in Gaithersburg on future occasions.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was very happy with this hotel. The location overlooking the lake is great, not to mention it's proximity to shopping, starbucks, cinema, beltway. A stroll around the lake is peaceful and feels safe even if it's next to the highway. Our room overlooked the lake and the view was great day or night. The staff were friendly. Parking is great, compared to the garage parking on neighboring Courtyard hotel, and is complimentary. There is a shuttle to the metro during weekdays only.

Room Tip: request for lake view, book early.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KL B
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Gaithersburg Marriott on TripAdvisor. It's always nice to hear when our staff is able to provide a great travel experience for our loyal guests.

Thanks again,
Dragoer, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Easy to access for the highway, with good pakring on the doorstep. Resception staff exceptionally fiendly, as is the case for the top level lounge. Close to plenty of restaurants. Try to get a room overlooking the lake. Otherwise a bit worn and tired interior

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that our staff treated you royally while our guest. That's always our mission. Our hotel transformatoin will be complete in early 2013 and I look forward to welcoming you to our new space when it's unveiled. Should you have any additional comments or questions, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Each year, we visit family in nearby Rockville, MD for Thanksgiving and have always stayed at this hotel because the rates are very reasonable and the accommodations are comfortable. However, we will no longer be returning because I do not trust this hotel with my money.

First, when we initially made our reservation, the Marriott website provided absolutely no communication that this hotel was under renovation. When we arrived, check-in was brutally slow.

With that being said, upon reserving the room and checking-in, we held the room on a CREDIT card (not a DEBIT card) as we always do when we travel. Upon checking out, we switched our form of payment to a major DEBIT card that is linked to our checking account so we could reconcile the $93.50 balance immediately and not have to pay it later. Should be simple, right?

WRONG. For the third year in a row, we were charged for more than double the amount of the room on not only the CC but on the DC which resulted in over $400.00 in charges for a one night stay. This doesn't add up, because our receipt upon leaving was $93.50 for one evening. When I called the hotel the next day, the same supervisor that checked me out first tried to tell me that I held the room on the debit card, resulting in the inflated charges. Sorry, but I am not that stupid. Once I gently corrected her and reminded her that the room was held on a CC, she refused to admit any wrongdoing on the hotel's part, claiming that they only charged us for $93.50 and that the responsibility was the bank's to refund the extra money that they took from our DC. However, the bank only charges what you tell them to charge, so apparently Marriott, you did charge us the incorrect amount.

This has happened over the last three years only at this hotel. When we called our bank, the representative indicated that Marriott, and only Marriott, is notorious for this type of miscommunication, which I figured.

This should be simple. Use a credit card to hold the room, so incidentals are not applied to your debit card. Then, pay with a debit card when you leave to immediately resolve the balance. Now because of Marriott's mistake, we have to wait one week to get over $100 in cash back to our debit card. When you're living month to month, this amount of money is a big deal. They can carelessly take the money from you, but when you need it back, it takes a week in spite of their error. Unacceptable. I suppose I should carry a stack of $100's next time.

While I will say that Marriott did allow us to check-out early and not charge the second night because my wife was sick, the supervisor unprofessionally threw this up to me as a rationale so I can accept why this happened. All of my goodwill towards them doing this is now gone.

I travel several times per month, and this happens nowhere else. It will not happen at this hotel anymore, because I will not be staying there anymore and I will strongly consider not staying at Marriotts' again. Memo to corporate - train your front desk staff properly because this happens nowhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank steak2k3
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review of your stay. It sounds like there was a bit of miscommunicatoin during your stay and for that I apologize. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel and I'd be happy to discuss your specific situation and see what we can do to improve our service. I can be reached during business hours at 301-590-0044.

Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have stayed at this property at least 10 times for youth sporing events in the area. The location is excellent with many activities and restaurants within walking distance. Sometimes its tough to get two double beds, so if you can check in early that helps. Several times we have had to stay in a King, and get a rollaway. The rooms are not as nice as the sister property located 300 yards away, the Gaithersburg Marriott. But we really prefer this property due to the ease of parking, and this one is more of a full service type of hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeview.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jay-AGM, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at the Gaithersburg Marriott on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you feel our hotel is your home away from home. As a lodging professional, nothing makes me happier than to hear that type of feedback from our loyal and valued guests. For specific room requests in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so that we can help to ensure your requests and preferences are met, regardless of your arrival time.

Thank you again for sharing. Happy Travels!

Director of Hotel Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaithersburg
Courtyard Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center
HYATT house Gaithersburg
HYATT house Gaithersburg
#3 of 15 in Gaithersburg
4.0 of 5 stars 362 reviews

Been to Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center? Share your experiences!