“Fabulous group experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Fabulous group experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My group of 41 stayed at the Washingtonian Marriott from April 26-28. In my many years of meeting planning, I have to say the staff at this hotel were some of the nicest, most efficient and helpful people I’ve met. From the initial contact, during the site visit, through the planning stages, during the meeting and after, the service we’ve received were A+! One of my attendees said it best, every staff member we encountered had a “spirit of service”.

We’re a demanding bunch with several meeting rooms going at one time, group breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinner, and food was tasty and always ready at the time we requested. This time around we booked 80 sleeping room nights and 4 meeting rooms and our guests only had good things to say.

I’d requested lakefront rooms for all our guests and everyone I asked, seemed to have gotten a lakefront room. There’s nothing better than waking up to the sunrise, you open your window and the lake is laid out in front of you. I had a king lakefront room with the mini fridge and everything worked fine. I had no noise issues on my floor despite the proms and banquets taking place at the hotel during the time we were there.

We only had one group meal outside the hotel and it was at Romano’s Macaroni Grill on a Friday night. The meal was OK and we were impressed with how quickly our food got to us, but because of some issues, either we did not get their top-level serving staff or the restaurant is just not equipped to handle 40 dinners at once.

All in all, we had a super experience and will not hesitate to go back to this hotel in the future.

If you found this review helpful, please click the “yes” button below. Thank you.

Room Tip: Go with a lakefront room (above the 3rd floor) if you can get one.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank trinigirlmd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Spent two nights while on college trip with daughter. Good access to highways and restaurants. Romm was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Clarksburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Great location at the Rio. Rooms are nice and the beds are great. Clean room, has a pool. Device is good. Restaurants and bar are a little expensive but expected at a hotel. Go for a drink or dinner at the other restaurants since there are lots of options around the lake.

Parking is free and there is plenty of it. Pool is nice. Is a full service Marriott so you know what to expect.

• Stayed July 2011
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I am local to the area and stayed at the hotel last night. I exiled meself from home as my son was throwing a party!!! Enough said. I had plans to take in a movie just a stone's throw away (the Exotic Marigold Hotel no less)and then meet up with a girlfriend for dinner. I cannot go so far as to say this Marriott is exotic but it is extremely welcoming and i had a very nice overnight. The room was overlooking the lake. It costs a little more but is worth it. I would have loved to have snuck out with the bed as it was super comfy. There were plenty of towels, soap, and the usual. I didn't want to get my hair wet but it came out with that cirly, steamed look after my shower. A little shower cap would have been a nice touch. Coffe maker spewed out OK coffee. My only quibble was that I alternately hot and cold during the night. The duvet is rather heavy for the summer so I slept fitfully. When i threw it off I was cold. I am used to a duvet but a lighter one for summer might just hit the spot, Mr. Marriott.

The young woman who checked me in was delivhtful. I'd come again in a heartbeat and would treat myself to breakfast in bed!! LOVED the bed!!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is my third stay at this hotel in the past three years. I really do like the location adjacent to Washingtonian Center and the large lake there. I have used the walking path around the large lake for exercise each time. I will continue to stay here as a pass through DC on my way to visit family.

The hotel desk staff was very helpful during our stay, but the restaurant inside the hotel did not provide us with a pleasant experience. The restaurant did not appear to be full, but we could not get anyone to seat us or tell us we could not be seated. So we asked a passing waitress if we could seat ourselves in the adjacent bar area. She said we could, but after sitting in the bar area for a few minutes we could never get anyone to come serve us. We left the Marriott restaurant and walked over to eat at a Thai restaurant in the adjacent shopping area. The Thai food was great and so was the service.

The location of this hotel works for me because it is close to the nearby DC Metro station. We have found that the large parking lot at that metro station allows us to park our car and catch the subway right into downtown DC to look at all the museums.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Mahwah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The hotel is everything one would expect from a 4Star Marriott property. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The beds were wonderfully comfortable. The property is a tad dated, so updates would be in order, but even to the discriminating traveler there is nothing that would turn one off to a stay in this hotel. If anything jumps up as a problem is that when originally built the building should have been designed with 4 guest elevators as oppose to two. When the hotel is as busy as it was during my stay it is not uncommon that one ends up using the service elevator. And for the second year in a row, at the peak morning hours one of the elevators went down - not a good situation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the mall area - it is nicer than the highway.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
TomG_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words. We value your business and appreciate the feedback. We are planning some upgrades that will include our elevators towards the end of the year. I really think you will like what we are going to do.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future. Until then, we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Tom
Director of Hotel Operations
-Thank you all for assisting us in achieving Trip Advisors 2012 Excellence Award!
France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Stayed 1 night on business in May 2012. Drove to the hotel and found the direction signs confusing (pulled up at the building before (which has a Marriott sign on it..) only to find that I had to move next door.
I arrived at around 7pm to find 1 person working reception and 3 customers waiting. I probably had to wait around 10 minutes and in that time, no other staff showed up. I asked the receptionist if she was the only person working that night and simply got a smile...
Room was fine with a view of the lake - nothing special though.
Breakfast was OK but the food was not particularly good.
I've never stayed in the area before so nothing to compare this hotel to but there was really nothing remarkable or positive to say about this experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for commenting on your stay with us. I wish we were able to demonstrate genuine care and comfort and make your experience a more memorable one. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the lengthy check-in. Your arrival experience is very important to us and I regret that we did not do a better job. I hope you give us the opportunity to host you again. I am confident that we will provide you with excellent service and a wonderful stay.

Please contact me if I can provide any assistance or if you want to speak to me in more detail about your stay.

Best Regards,