“Pretty Good for a "Simple" Holiday Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Milford, New Jersey
“Pretty Good for a "Simple" Holiday Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Was in town for a Lacrosse Tournament and just needed a comfortable place to sleep near the field complex. This Holiday Inn was conveniently located at an I270 interchange and only 10 minutes from the event. Was also fairly inexpensive at $99. I have to say that it was one of the better equipped rooms I have experienced recently - plenty of space, clean, updated décor, flat screen TV with tons of channels, fridge, microwave, king bed, couch, spare table, tons of lights, charging plugs, free Wi-Fi, and, for a change, no closet-sized bathroom! Didn't need much other than a good bed, but this room certainly would have made a longer stay extremely pleasant w/o the excessive cost of suite-type accommodations. Staff was highly attentive and competent too. Highly recommend this place if you need to be in the neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Summerville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I am a former business executive and a current military spouse that has tried to stay extensively at Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels. I am since retired and continue my loyalty to the IHG branding while traveling. Recently. I was totally humiliated and embarrassed by the staff and the accommodations of the Holiday Inn located in Gaithersburg Maryland.

I was traveling with my son and daughter-in-law and we required overnight accommodations in the Gaithersburg Maryland area on Sunday, June 1st 2014. My daughter-in-law is a doctor for the Navy and was wrapping up her time at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. My son and I were finishing packing up their belongs and when finished, gave the keys back to their landlord. We planned to stay overnight in the Gaithersburg area and begin traveling back to South Carolina the following morning. My daughter-in-law is an experienced traveler and enjoys staying at finer hotels like Peachtree and Weston brands. I assured her that if we stayed at a Holiday Inn hotel that the accommodations and staff would be as good if not better that similar more expensive hotels. My son and daughter-in-law have vowed never to stay in an IHG brand hotel again because of the experience we had.

We arrived at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg about 10:00pm and entered the lobby. One girl was working the front desk and was checking in a lady that seemed to have alot of questions. I could see the evening manager pacing about the lobby and continuously looking out the window. I was never acknowledged by either of them. In the past, I have been used to receiving an energetic greeting for simply walking into the hotel. I have approached front desks that are a flurry of activity and still received that simple acknowledgement that I was seen. The girl working the front desk never even glanced my direction.

We must have waited for over 10 minutes before a 2nd girl appeared in the lobby and asked if I was being helped. Politely, I stated that we were still waiting for assistance and this young woman went behind the counter to check us in. We were given a room on the fourth floor. The remaining check in process went smoothly.

We went up to the fourth floor to find our room and could not find our room number. Quizzically, we roamed the hallway looking for our non-existent room number. Finally, we were left with no choice but to go back down to the front desk and inquire about the room number. The same girl that checked us in was in the lobby and informed us that the hotel had two different towers and that we had used the wrong elevator. She directed us to the correct elevator and we were again on our way to our room. It is shameful that the front desk personnel would neglect to inform a traveler that only certain elevators could be used to access certain rooms. Maybe the suggestion should be made to put up signage indicating which elevator to use if the staff is unable to remember to inform the traveler.

At our room, we were greeting by the arctic chill of the air conditioner blasting frigid air in the room. The room was well below the normal average comfortable level usually set by the thermostat in most hotel chains. My daughter-in-law and opened the hallway door while I adjusted the temperature to a more comfortable level. Next, the smoke detector chirped. This chirp I attributed to a low battery and stated that I would call the front desk to have them rectify the detector after I used the bathroom. Then, in the bathroom, there was toilet paper already in the toilet. Disgusted, I attempted to flush the toilet and found it was already running slightly and would not flush at all. I "jiggled" the handle and was unable to figure out why the toilet was malfunctioning.

I called the front desk and spoke to the girl that helped us check in and told her about the temperature, smoke detector and the toilet. The young lady was very apologetic and offered to send up a maintenance person to rectify the smoke detector and toilet issue. I requested that I be transferred to another room. The young girl stated that she would be up to transfer us to another room momentarily. So we waited and waited.

Again, we called down to the front desk and we reached the same person that we had been dealing with all evening. Again, the young lady apologized for not coming up and assured us that she would arrive just as soon as she made sure that the new room was defect free. Again we waited and eventually we were escorted to a new room on the fifth floor. The toilet was old and flushed strangely it did indeed flush. Tired and very frustrated, we turned in for the night with no more unhappy events.

The following morning, we went downstairs to the lobby and inquired about breakfast. We were told that there was a buffet behind a partition that was $13.50 per person. We agreed to having the buffet and went to check out the selection. Cold pancakes, boxed eggs, no boiled eggs. In fact, this buffet was similar to the Holiday Inn Express buffet, except, at a Holiday Inn Express there was more of a selection and the food is usually hot. We complained to our waitress about the selection and quality of the food and she offered to bring us a menu to order off of but we declined and we were not charged. We opted to find breakfast else where.

Thoroughly disgusted by the events of the previous evening and that morning, I spoke to Isidro Alberto, Guest Service Manager for Holiday Inn Gaithersburg. Isidro listened to my recollection of the events that transpired during my stay. Isidro was very concerned of what I might rate that hotel on a customer survey. Several times referencing how I might score the hotel, Isidro continuously offered me suggestions of what he might be able to give me to rate the hotel with a positive score. In the end, Isidro offered me 15,000 points which could be used to stay another night at another Holiday Inn or in other words comp me this stay by giving me a free nights stay at another Holiday Inn hotel.

I am not sure what the circumstances are that surround this particular hotel and its staff, but it is a weak link in a superior hotel chain whose consistent exceptional customer service I have grown accustomed to. I am embarrassed about the level of service and accommodations that I persuaded my family to choose on this trip. I am embarrassed for the travelers that have stayed in this particular hotel and what their opinion must be of IHG. I am embarrassed for the management over this hotel that must have overlooked serious issues for a hotel to deteriorate to this level given the premium accommodations and service I know IHG can provide.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank scsassyfeature
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
I am so sorry to hear about all the various issue you had during your recent stay. I completely understand how you would be embarrassed when you convinced your family to stay at our hotel.
I am brand new to this Holiday Inn, and it is evident a great deal more time and attention needs to be paid to training and execution.
I do understand that Isidro has called you and verified the correct amount of points were added to your loyalty account.
We would very much like to win back your loyalty the next time you are in town.
Please reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss your experience further

Katie Doherty,
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My soccer team stayed here for a weekend. Considering there were dozens of teams in the hotel for a tournament that weekend, everyone was well prepared, pleasant and everything ran smoothly. We would DEF. stay here again. They made it a great experience. Isidro Alberto the manager was helpful, witty and accommodating. Thanks for a great stay!

Upper Saint Clair, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed at this hotel over memorial day weekend. Hotel, was very clean. Staff was very friendly. Our room was spacious and the decor was freshly updated. This is what all older hotels need to do. Having said that, some other things needed updated, like the electrical system, and the plumbing. Apparently our room had over loaded circut , because the all appliances and lights on one side of the room,kept peridocially shutting down. (without any extra appliances plugged in!) Also, the tub in the shower did not drain properly. Apparently the cleaning staff reported it because maintance came to our door at 7pm. Not being notified by the staff, we didn't let him in. We did mention the issues upon our departure. Would I stay here again, yes. Just some kinks need to be fixed.

Room Tip: Ask for the larger double rooms.
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Had some free points to use up so we chose this location to spend a night, The front desk clerk was very helpful, the room was very very clean, The only update I wish they had was queen beds, Having queen at home and going to a full was not that confortable, but the bedding was in excellant confort. Ate in the on-site restaurant Granddaughter ate free and the the buffett was filling, assorted and hot.
The tv channels were fuzzy, I can not understand why company's spend all that money in up-grading to flat screens but do nothing about the cable or satille signal

Room Tip: Ask for a an upper floor room
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My boyfriend and I stay here 2-3 times a week and all staff, especially Isidro and Barak make us feel so comfortable and treat us like kings. We love the holiday inn at gaithersburg and highly recommend it to everyone. Thanks guys for all your hospitality. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed for a night after moving our things out of our students apartment.
Pleasantly surprised by the room and how comfortable the beds were.
Not what we expected at all. Staff very pleasant and had a pleasant drink in the
bar. We had a free beverage coupon.
Would stay again if in the area! We stayed with IHG points and thought great stay for our points
Not far from UMD.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 5th floor and this was very cool on the hot day we were there. Large rooms and good b...