“Worst Hotel in Gaithersburg!”

Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Catania, Italy
“Worst Hotel in Gaithersburg!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel is terrible! The staff is rude and condescending. They never take ownership of a problem, they just blame it on the customer. Within a one week period I've had the ceiling in my room caving in (nothing was done about it), paint thinner fumes take over the hallways/room (they never checked back or explained it), and their shuttle service is awful (late, erratic driving, refusing to pick up). Never once did they apologize or explain to me what the issue was. The location isn't convenient. It's worth it to pay more and stay at a better hotel near the metro.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mmhinton86
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide
an environment of comfort and value to our guest, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and
and will use these to improve the quality of service we offer to our guest. If there is anything we can do for you, or if you would like to discuss this in person,please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

Melvin Nichols

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 26, 2014

As a 20 year member of Priority Club, and having stayed at IHG properties all over the country, I could be considered to be an experienced judge of performance. There are reasons why I keep coming back to this Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg. The management and staff ALWAYS make me feel at home. They are courteous, professional, friendly and consistent, and because of this, I stay here whenever I'm in the area for business. Kudos again team! Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mister D
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Courtesy of a Pepco power outage, I booked a room at this HI for one night using my points. Of course, the outage happened on a day when our temperature highs hovered around 5 degrees with a wind chill in the negative. We live down the street and having stayed at this hotel several times over the years, it was nice to find that you could "go home again".

Check-in around 5:30pm was prompt. Staff were not overly-friendly, but since I was frozen, tired after a day of work and just wanted to crash, that was fine by me. Having booked our stay as a freebie, I didn't expect one of the better rooms, but that's what we got! We got a room in the North Tower on the 6th Floor. I kept walking and walking down the hall (usually I request a room closer to elevators, but I was tired and it slipped my mind). We were assigned room 649. What a nice surprise!

Our king-bedded room appeared fresh and was apparently renovated with some nice additions since our last stay back in 2012. Our room came with a fridge and microwave, new drapery, pull-out desk, lots of outlets and a combination sofa/outtoman. To my surprise there was no safe which is always a bummer for a longer stay. With all the electronics travelers take, a safe should be a basic at most hotels IMHO.

What I like about this Holiday Inn:
- Hallways are heated - did I say that I arrived after an hour spent packing an overnight bag in my freezing home?
- Free breakfast (only had toast, tea and fruit but the buffet had all the basics)
- Free and abundant parking
- Easy to locate
- Engaged staff
- Quick elevators
- Helpful gift shop - nice supply of items one might forget to pack
- Affordable food within the hotel - didn't eat at the pub this time but the food there has always been affordable and tasty

I am loyal to the Holiday Inn brand because I like consistency in quality. From one state to the next, I always expect helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms that look and smell fresh. As usual HI delivered. It's nice to know a reliable hotel performer is down the street if another power outage comes our way this Winter.

If you found this review helpful please click "yes" below. Thank you and happy travels!

Room Tip: Choose the renovated North Tower if you can. Rooms are newer and there is less street noise even th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trinigirlmd
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel and being an IHG Rewards Member.
We’re delighted that you enjoyed the accommodations and service you experienced
and we will be sure to share your review with our team here at the hotel.
We wish you safe travels and look forward to your next visit.

Thanks again,

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Check in was Pretty Fast, Front Desk Staff was very helpful and Courteous. It was nice and comfortable Stay. Breakfast Was really delicious. Room was fresh and clean. housekeeping staff was helpful. Thank you for comfortable stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Excellent staff and very helpful. Stayed here for a week and got the room on south side. Heard North side is better. Furnitures are old and plug points breaking apart. Rooms and bathroom are tad small and tight too.
They have a shuttle which is good help. Also has a pub and has some basic food. Small shop downstairs is good too. For the price I got I can say it is good so I give 4 stars (if not it can be only 3 stars).

Room Tip: Probably North side
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I will preface this review with that I am in the hotel business so I am far harder to impress and I see things that the average traveler no matter how seasoned doesn't notice. With that being said, the warm welcome upon arrival in the cold pouring rain by Barack was a nice touch. Was not expecting someone to come around the barrier to point me to the elevator and to ask if I needed help. Kudos. Check in was quick,friendly and better than expected. The room was clean, even in those behind spaces. The furniture was new, tv had a nice selection of channels. Best part - elevator was ridiculously fast. I know it seems like nothing, but there is really nothing worse than standing in front of the bank of elevators just staring. Did not have breakfast but they look relatively and it smelled good. Good job HI Gaithersburg!

Green Features: was impressed to see recycle bin in my room, really hope people use it correctly.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your stay with us.
We are happy to hear that you received a warm welcome from Barack and will be sure to share your comments with him. We appreciate your nice comments about our clean rooms and selection of TV channels we offer and we a glad to know that you found our elevator one of the best parts of your stay. We will be sure to share your review with our team here at the hotel.
Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.

Rospk
Reviewed December 8, 2013

It happens often that one goes to a hotel or restaurant for the first time and is really impressed. Upon going to this very place the second or third time, somehow you get disappointed.

This is definitely not the case with the Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg Maryland. We have been there many times and each time we come back with a very good feeling about our stay.

There are several things that are very important when you stay at a hotel. Not necessarily in priority order, the listing would include: value for price, comfortable and well maintained accommodations, professional service and care, quality food and good location.

In each of these categories the Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg not only has met our expectations each time but has exceeded the expectations. Having stayed at other hotels in the area, we are able to make this comparison even better. The cost of the Holiday Inn is always very reasonable and competitive. Some of the hotel in the area charge a hefty daily parking fee as well; the Holiday Inn does not charge for parking.

Our room was great, spacious, nice view, had a microwave and refrigerator. The whole facility was very well maintained.

A number of the staff of the hotel knew us from previous visits and without exception provided us with excellent service. Isidro, the Guest Services Manager, who we likewise knew from previous stays, once again did everything to assure a most pleasant and enjoyable stay.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel this time. The food in the restaurant we ate in was plentiful, fresh and tasty and many choices were provided.

Being close to all the major roads especially the highways shortened our travel time to the various visits to family and friends in the area. Having the mall very close--walking distance, if we wanted was also great.

Room Tip: many choices
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family