“Great place to stay in the DC area”

Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was here attending a two week course for work. The service was impeccable and the food was great. O'Malley's, the downstairs bar/restaurant was also a great time and had great food and service. I cannot say enough good things about this particular hotel. The staff will go well out of their way to help you in any way they can.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
MelvinNichols, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Chris F,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and Staff on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the nice comments and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Gaithersburg

Reviewed September 22, 2012

First, a well done to Front Desk Manager Isidro Alberto. He has a welcoming, customer service mindset that puts customers first. A well done is also in order for Bahar at the front desk. She has been ever pleasant and accommodating. I talked with a number of other guests who gave glowing marks to the hotel staff. People notice if you care about what you're doing!!!
First impression is a clean, well maintained and landscaped property. There is a carport so unloading can be accomplished in the rain without getting wet. Parking in front is adequate and there is a huge integral parking garage for hotel guests only with direct access to the hotel. No searching for a hotel entrance from the garage.
Checking in was effortless. Priority Club members get a small swag bag when checking in, a coupon for free breakfast or bar drink and the free wireless high speed code (for everyone, not just PC members), all without asking for it. Using internet was painless and I have an ancient machine.
Restaurant, bar, and convenience shop all centrally located, no searching. Breakfast, only meal I had there was buffet style or could order off the menu. Notable on the buffet on the day I was there (a Friday morning) was poached eggs with creamed spinach on a toasted English muffin. Very good for a breakfast buffet. Rest of buffet was standard scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with peppers/onions, make-your-own-waffles, pancakes, crepes, cold cereal, oatmeal, fruit, juice, bacon, sausage, choc milk, skim-1%-whole milk, breakfast pastries. Very nice indoor pool area. Didn't use fitness facilities this time, but have before. There is a universal-type weight machine, dumbells, some yoga mats, (and I think) 3 treadmills and a bicycle. All seemed to function well.

Room was a king with a wrap around sofa along the wall. Small in room fridge, 30+ inch flatscreen, iron and board, coffee maker. Bathroom was nice imho with a marble (or marble-ish, couldn't tell) countertop. Shower had a 3+ inch head with excellent water pressure and good temperature control. The shower curtains are intentionally bowed out away from the shower so that you're not always rubbing up against them while you're showering and it effectively makes the shower bigger. Bathrooms were spotless, no leftover hair or genral skankiness. Only issue I have with the bathrooms is the water saving toilets which certainly have generous flushing power, but use so little water that you sometimes have to flush 3 or 4 times to get the job done.
The bed was very nice and the AC controls worked well. I generally travel sans spouse yet the bed was so comfortable that I woke up at one point wondering where she was. That has never happened to me before. There are blackout blinds; I note this because I have been in other hotels where this is not the case and you can't keep the morning light out of your room. The rooms were clean and well maintained.
Your bill is put under the door during the night and a USA Today outside your door when you come out.
Overall, as another reviewer has said, not overly fancy but certainly well done. Great value.
- Edwards

Room Tip: At least a few king bed rooms have wrap around sofas which make the room seem very large.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
MelvinNichols, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear phsinv,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and services on TripAdvisor and thank you for your nice comments about Isidro Alberto and Bahar. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to serving you in the future.
All the best!

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Sept. 15th in a newly renovated room, #749. This was my 3rd stay at this hotel since Jan. 2012 and has been my hotel of choice when in the area for several years.

We checked in around 9 pm and were given a King bed room on the renovated 7th floor. The room is extremely modern in style. Though it wasn't my taste it was fine.

But when I sat on the bed which looked lower than the rooms we have stayed in, I could tell that it was too hard for me.
I called and asked if we could switch rooms but was told that all the rooms were like that. I requested extra blankets so I could make my own "pillow-top". Two comforters were brought and I laid on top of them. It helped somewhat but I still wasn't comfortable. I had already brought my own pillow because theirs are on the small side and not comfortable to me.

When I checked out the next morning I asked about the renovation and was told that not all the rooms have been renovated.

So now I will be considering other hotels like the Hilton in Gaithersburg for future stays.

I have been staying at this Holiday Inn for several years because of its location and because they treat Priority Club members well. They give you a bag with water and pretzels when you arrive. They also give a choice of 2 drinks coupons for the night of your arrival or 2 breakfast coupons. So I hate to leave, but hard beds are 1 thing that I cannot live with.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear jopril,
I am sorry to hear that during your lastest stay you had a hard bed. I would like to personally apologise and ask before considering another hotel would you be kind enough to contact me. I may be reached at 301-948-8900. I would like to discuss some options with you when visit again in the near future.Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Had a great stay, Mr. Alberto the Manager went out of the way to help me with personal issues that I needed help with.

The food at the cafe is surprisingly very good, they have a new chef, and I got to meet him, very nice gentleman.

Overall I would recommend friend and family to stay at this holiday inn

Room Tip: The laundry room is on the 7th floor on the side of the hotel that has 8 floors. Room 830 has a fri...

Hi George C,
Thank you for your nice comments about Mr. Alberto and our Cafe. I am happy to hear that you had the opportinity to meet the Chef. We wish you safe travels and look forward to serving you in the future!
Thanks again!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Conveniently located. Clean, quiet, and easy access to Rte 270. Basic, nothing fancy but excellent value and very pleasant overall. Responsive and helpful staff. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HappyWanderers2844
MelvinNichols, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

HappyWanderers....

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and Team on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you and your family were able to have an enjoyable time while staying at our hotel and in the area.Thank you for your nice comments about our staff in your review.
We hope you have safe travels and look forward to serving you again.

Thank you!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Recently my husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg, MD while visiting our daughter who lives practically next door. This hotel is exceptional. Great staff from the moment you arrive until you leave. A convenient complimentary shuttle to the metro or the park and ride which the #201 bus goes directly to BWI for only $5. Rooms were very clean and spacious. It is obvious that everyone loves their job at this hotel by the way they treat you. Breakfast buffet is exceptional as well. I stayed my first night accross the street at another top name hotel. There is no comparison how much superior this Holiday Inn was. I have stayed at other holiday inns as well which do not match up. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Just talk to the front desk, they will meet your needs, whatever they are.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

theindians,

Thank you for your nice comments about our hotel and our front desk team. We are glad to hear we were able to help you have an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for Highly Recommeding us as well. We look forward to serving you again when you come to visit.
Thanks again!

The Holiday inn Gaithersburg Team

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The hotel accommodations were superior but more importantly, the staff was friendly and very helpful. A+ all around for every category - clean, comfortable, quiet and parking was easy. Just b esure to ask for an exterior room and they are brighter and scenic.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get an interior room on the third floor overlooking the air conditioner syst...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Stephanie D,
We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us here at our hotel and taking the time to write this review. We wish you safe travels and look forward to serving you in the future.

THe Holiday Inn Gaithersburg Team