“For a Value hotel-Great attention to detail except for mustiness”

Comfort Inn Shady Grove
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I was very pleased with this hotel--especially for the money ($75/night). We stayed 3 nights. Although it was rainy, we saw that the outdoor pool area was very nice and clean with a few tables and chaises. The breakfast was standard, but plentiful. The king room was fine, though there was a mustiness emanating from the ac unit. Otherwise, it was clean. What I particularly liked was that there was enough lighting in the room, a fridge and microwave, a safe, and a nightlight in the bathroom. Plenty of pillows, and 2 complimentary bottles of water. The wireless worked like a charm.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travellerfromatown

Reviewed June 26, 2010

Some reviews had mentioned the GPS did not get them to the location. I have a Navagon and it sent me into the middle of nowhere. We finally used the BP gas station to get us there. We were 5 miles off. Another couple told us they have a Garmin and did the same exact thing. Other than that you could not ask for anything better. We travel 3-5 times a year and always stay at Comfort/Quality hotels and they are always good. Staff was very very nice. Smokers were kept away. Breakfast was the standard. Plenty of seats. Shuttle runs to the Metro and you call to have it pick you up. It only fits about 5 people at a time. 8:30am is the busy time. Wait an hour or go an hour earlier. A special note: We picked this location because the metro into Washington is the first stop. We never regretted it. Stay closer and you will have to sometimes wait for another train that is not so full.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tiggertoyoutoo
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I chose this hotel as a base for a five day holiday in Washington DC. I was looking for a hotel near the Metro and outside the expensive downtown area. I looked at using Priceline but couldn't get a better deal than this -- $84 a night including an excellent breakfast.

Pros -- Good-sized, comfortable room and lovely bathroom. High-speed wireless internet. 30 minutes from Union Station, DC, by Metro. Free shuttle bus to Shady Grove Metro station (with limitations -- see Cons). Pleasant staff. Guest laundry.

Cons -- The shuttle bus has limited hours on weekends and one morning there were several people waiting so I would have waited for two return trips before getting a seat. It's not really a bus -- it's a 7 seater van. On three occasions I walked to or from Shady Grove. It took me, a brisk walker, 20 minutes -- it's about 1.5 km.

The breakfast room can be filled to capacity up to 8am, often with school groups. I couldn't get a seat my first morning. I found it best to wait until 8:15am when it emptied out somewhat.

Choices for an evening meal nearby are limited and not especially healthy. I got a better choice and price by eating in the food hall at Union Station before heading back to Shady Grove.

Commuting to and from Shady Grove adds $9 a day to your costs with a saving if you buy a weekly ticket. This is offset by the free breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank BernardMorey
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel in the past, and they always surpass my expectations. It seems like they have recently renovated, which is a plus, because I did not think they needed when I stayed last time. The staff was very nice and helpful, the rooms were clean and as always I enjoyed their Breakfast. I will definitely stay again the next time my company sends me to the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank tvl123
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Was pleasantly surprised by this Comfort Inn. Rooms were clean, sheets and bedding smelled nice and clean, excellent cleaning staff, bathrooms were clean. On the down side, mattresses are a little saggy. Breakfast room is roomy and clean - more tables than most hotel/motels. Free breakfast is pretty good. A bonus is the laundry room which is open 24/7. The Comfort Inn has a large grassy, well treed area with benches, BBQ horseshoe pit...very nice , park-like setting.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nogobev
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Great place, Clean. Comfortable. Cannot say enough about the staff: everyone was friendly and very helpful. I asked for info on local restaurants and was given a card for discounts and free appetizers. What ever I asked about it seemed they had more to offer. I was extremely pleased with the whole stay. Will stay here again if circumstances arise. The shuttle to the Shady Grove metro was a real plus. Fast and convenient.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel many many times on business. It is a nice hotel to stay in, and I've been happy in the past. However, I reserved a room for two nights because I wasn't expecting my business to be complete in the DC area until late on Thursday night. So I intended to stay Friday night as well. However, I was allowed to leave work early on Thursday so I could leave ahead of an approaching snow storm. I checked out of the hotel room at 2PM on Thursday. I was told that I could not even be partially refunded for Friday night's reservation. I was disgusted, but didn't complain. I ended up getting caught in a blizzard in WV and couldn't make it all the way home that night. I saw a Comfort Inn hotel and decided to try to stay there since I already had paid for a room at a Comfort Inn this night. Even though this was a Comfort Inn in the sticks and it was midnight with vacancy, and I had a receipt for where I paid for a room, I was told that I would have to pay full price once again. I loaded up my things and drove for another mile in a blizzard to a Super 8. I'm disgusted at the service and treatment given to me by Comfort Inn after years of faithful patronage. Don't expect any customer service from Comfort Inn. My business will be going somewhere else and if you care about being treated with compassion, take your business elsewhere as well.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaithersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington, DC North / Gaithersburg
SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg
SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg
#8 of 15 in Gaithersburg
Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville

Been to Comfort Inn Shady Grove? Share your experiences!