“An outstanding hotel, considering the location and the price.”

Comfort Inn Shady Grove
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I consider myself a pretty stern and traditional person when it comes to customer service. I think that in all service industries like the hotel business the customer should come first, and in this day and age it is rare to see a hotel that lives up to this expectation. However the Comfort in at Shady Grove did just that.

I arrived early with two kids on a Saturday at around noon, expecting to not be able to check-in till late that evening after I returned from the kite festival, I walked in and asked for directions to the Metro station. The front desk clerk offered to let me check in immediately, which was a great relief after spending several hours in a cramped car with two small children.

The room was neat and modern, and clean to exceed my expectations. The staff was very helpful in providing local information to the guests.

On Saturday night, at around 10 O'clock, some sort of youth group had apparently checked-in to several rooms on my floor. The kids were being rather loud as kids often are, and I could hear them running up and down the hall. After about three minutes of this I pout on my slippers and prepared to go down to the front desk to complain. But before I opened a door, I heard a member of the staff talking in the hallway to who I assume was one of the adult leaders of the group. He was very polite but firm that other people were sleeping on the floor and they needed to quiet down. I never heard another thing from outside the room that night.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to people like me. Tourists who want to spend their days in D.C. but don't want to have to experience the hassle of big city traffic and parking. The metro is only a couple blocks away, and it appears the staff is extremely well trained to handle this type of clientèle.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Ty C
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Shady Grove

Reviewed March 30, 2008

Based on great reviews, we chose this hotel for our recent stay to visit relatives in the Gaithersburg area and would agree with the positive reviews. This is an excellent value for the services it provides: excellent complimentary breakfast, convenient shuttle to the Metro, and very helpful, friendly, and competent staff. For the price, it s a great value. I'm not sure I would have considered a Comfort Inn without the excellent reviews on this property, but this is definitely a fine option for staying in the Gaithersburg/Rockville area. It even has a well-equipped fitness center that exceeds what I would expect for this size of hotel. We had a problem with the TV remote that got addressed promptly when brought to their attention.

The breakfast has a wide variety of choices, so even though it doesn't change from day to day, your choices make it different for you each day. The elevators are exceptionally fast yet smooth. The building itself seems a bit dated, and the beds aren't the latest and greatest, but the rooms and bathrooms are kept clean and when you add in the superior service, it makes for a great overall value. We'll likely stay again, since we visit this area once a year.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank CAFamilyRvwr
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I attended a conference in Washington, DC, but because I used to live in Maryland (Rockville) I wanted a hotel close to Rockville and the metro. I walked into the lobby and the staff was very helpful. The rooms are spotless and the service is far better than some of the more pricey hotels in the area. Also, the hotel throws in a free continental breakfast. The breakfast has waffles, biscuits, eggs, in short, a complete meal. I will definitely stay here in the summer when I bring my kids to visit DC. I really love this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank JolieIthaca_NY
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I was on a budget, traveling with a group of college students, and wanted to be near a metro stop north of DC. The Comfort Inn Shady Grove looked like it would fill the bill. It was much better than expected. Spotlessly clean, the rooms were comfortable and well equipped. Breakfast was hardly gourmet but was certainly acceptable. The staff were universally friendly, helpful, and attentive. We used the free shuttle to the metro with no problem although I would allow extra time as it only holds six and some folks were worried (when our group completely filled the van) that they wouldn't get where they were going in time. The metro station is walkable but it's not an nice walk--maybe a half mile down a busy congested road. It is only 4 or 5 dollars to park all day at the metro which might be the better alternative if you are on a tight schedule.

JJ Muldoons restaurant/bar is a short walk away and was fine for our group. Since we were a big group, a gratuity was automatically added to our bill. When we supplemented that with an additional amount, the waitress came back to make sure we knew that a tip had already been included. We appreciated her honesty!

I have stayed at much fancier, more expensive hotels where the staff were not nearly as pleasant and where the rooms had fewer amenities. The management clearly cares about the property and staying there was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelFan58
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Clean, functional, no problems whatsoever with my stay. Hotel was quiet, not the easiest to find, but compared to the rates of others in the area, a fabulous bargain. Great for business. Hotel was on part with Comfort Inns across the US. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank YorktownTraveler411
Reviewed December 31, 2007

This hotel is nothing flashy, but is in a great location for business in the area, has a very friendly and helpful staff, and provides a standard, but very good breakfast. The room was clean upon arrival. While I didn't use public transportation, the hotel has a shuttle to the Shady Grove metro station, and it is even walkable, if necessary. Across the parking lot is a decent bar/restaurant: J.J. Muldoon's.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Zaphod
Reviewed November 9, 2007

This Choice Inn was a pleasant surprise and is a bargain at the low price. Rooms are fully equipped with Fridge,microwave,coffee station. There is access to the Internet at no charge. and a very adequate breakfast included. We had to cancel the last night an hour after the 4PM deadline and they didn't charge us. We found the staff very helpful in all respects. They offer shuttle service to and from the Metro. We certainly would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KDZTUF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaithersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington, DC North / Gaithersburg
Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg
Sleep Inn Shady Grove
Sleep Inn Shady Grove
#10 of 14 in Rockville

Been to Comfort Inn Shady Grove? Share your experiences!