“I will be back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
West Virginia
“I will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel certainly beats paying $150 and up at some of the bigger name brands in the DC area and as others have pointed out, the accommodations are a little more luxurious than you would expect. I was very pleased with the cleanliness, location, and customer service.

The only downside is that the wireless internet was very slow and seemed to have trouble staying connected. I do hope that they will upgrade their internet service in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was a step up from the usual Comfort Inn. We were passing through the area on our way home from a wedding in NC. Based on the reviews, we stayed here. The hotel was very clean, quiet and the free breakfast offered more choices than usual. The bedding wasn't the level of an upscale brand, but we'd didn't pay the price of an upscale hotel either. Again we got a good rate through the Choice hotels website as they offer AAA , Senior and other discounts. Make sure you have a print out of your confirmation (anywhere) as a couple at the desk seemed to be having a problem about the room & rate. Parking is free.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We selected this hotel based on reviews and location. We were not disappointed. Check in/out was excellent and the front desk most accommodating. There was ample staff for everything. The room was immaculate and went a step above what was expected. The little touches were really appreciated. The breakfast area was spacious and the fare met the standard. The close proximity to the Metro was one of our criteria. Easy to get to and no problems with parking.

We encountered two negatives with this stay. The first has to do with access. There is really only one primary way in, but if you find the back way, it makes it much easier. The parking lot is also fairly cramped. The second has to do with the WiFi. During our stay, they experienced difficulties and had the technicians working on it. When it was supposedly fixed, it was still wonky and you would be knocked off. It was almost as if there was a limit on the number that could be connected at any one time. When it worked, it was good.

Would definitely recommend this location for anyone visiting DC.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
CISG, Owner at Comfort Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise about our staff and property.

Given the nature of the hotel business, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That’s why it’s truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts.

We apologize for the difficulties you encountered with the wi-fi, however I am happy to report that the technicians that you saw at our hotel have addressed the issues with our system and is currently working smoothly.

Again, let me thank you for your kind words. We’re committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

At Your Service,

Vira Safai, CHA
Managing Partner
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Clean and comfortable! Good breakfast, great price and close to family I was visiting. Downs: The wireless internet went down on me once, cleaning service skipped my room for a day or 2, and the air conditioner had an odd smell when I came in ..but otherwise all three nights were restful and great for me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I will tell you right of the bat this hotel is clean and beautiful! My wife and I stayed there the following week and loved it! We checked in on Sunday and checked out saturday. We were going to check out on Saturday but thought we would do one night in DC. We made a one night reservation at the ascend in Arlington and we checked in on Friday afternoon and checked out about 15 min later. HORRIBLE HOTEL THE ASCEND IS. I called Richard who is the front desk manager and he saved our same room for Friday night, very kind man. The hotel staff was amazing and the hotel was amazing! The rooms were a little small but the bath room was a little larger then most. One thing I really enjoyed were the free bottles of water waiting for you on the desk. The TV channel selection was many and they had the food network....that won me over. TV was very large. A/C worked great, carpets clean. I could not find one major thing wrong with this hotel. They do have a pool with a duty lifeguard.I did not spend time in the pool but it was very nice outdoor area/peaceful. I recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the area on silver spring, Germantown, gaitherburg and Rockville area. They have a list of restaurants in the area that do offer discounts to guests staying at the hotel. I tried captain Mori's while there and amazing crab cakes and seafood. If I missed anything, I'm sorry. Nothing short of excellent.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Bass_Fisher_STL
west virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was very impressed with this hotel. The personnel was friendly and extremely helpful.
The hotel has a shuttle to and from the hotel to the Metro that we had just missed.
I was informed that it was sent out on a mission for store purchases.
When it didn't return after some minutes, a cab was summoned and paid for.

I had seen an ad for Washington tours in the room guide.
Our original plan was to ride Metro to see the city sights for my birthday.
Even though the Metro was close-by, the tour company (Capital City Tours) was a better value.
They advertised that they would do hotel pick-up and drop-off.
They were true to their word on both the night and day tours.
I was informed by the hotel if there was any problem with the tour company, inform the hotel.
There was no need.
If you do go on the tour, ask for Madoo. A very informative and wonderful guide and person.
Made my birthday a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: The hotel is pet-friendly also.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kricket22
Port Jefferson Station, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is not your everyday Comfort Inn. Marble on the lobby walls and floors, life guard on duty whenever the pool is open, art work displayed on corridor walls with lights to illuminate the artwork, housekeeping staff that maintains spotless rooms, very customer friendly front desk staff, hot breakfast that is consistent with other Comfort Inns (eggs, saugsage, breads, bagels, pastry, fruit, cereal, waffles) but is always refilled and full of fresh food items, and a Tuesday evening Manager's Reception with wine, beer, cheese platter, vegetable platter, and two hot chafing dishes (meatballs and smoked sausage were served when I visited) are but a few of the many wonderful things that this Comfort Inn has to offer. They provide a shuttle to the Shady Grove Metro station but we drove there since it is only a 7 minute drive to the Metro from the hotel and we didn't want to wait for the shuttle to drop us off or pick us up at the Metro. The fare to DC from Shady Grove Metro is $5.75 per person during peak (commuter) hours). Buy the SmarTrip card ($5.00)and refill it at the vending machines as you need to do so. If you calculate your transportation costs on the Metro ahead of time, you can add to your card in an amount that will leave you with less than $1.00 when you are done with your DC visits. It took us 42 minutes on the Metro to get from Shady Grove to the National Archives metro stop. Parking at the Shady Grove Metro is $5 for the day and they have ample parking available.
The only thing that I didn't like about the hotel is their billing process where they automatically added a $1.06 in-room safe fee to each day of my 4-day stay. I didn't want to use an in-room safe, didn't ask to have one available for me to use, and didn't use the one in my room but was charged the fee anyhow. Too bad I didn't notice this "extra" until I was home. In my opinion, this is a tacky way to generate revenue from an otherwise class-act facility. One additional comment: the rooms have double, not queen sized beds. On a scale of 1-10, I would rate the beds as a 6.5...not terrible but they could be better. Overall, I will stay here again the next time that I am in the DC area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank John514
CISG, Owner at Comfort Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear John,

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to join us for breakfast and on Tuesday night for our Guest Reception. In regards to the safe charges, I wanted to inform you that I did issue you a credit for those charges to your card. It is customary for the hotel to remove the charges once we are made aware that the service was not used. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you once again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions. We would like to once again thank you for your kind words and appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

At your service,

Vira Safai, CHA
Managing Partner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaithersburg
Cambria hotel & suites Rockville
Sleep Inn Shady Grove
Sleep Inn Shady Grove
#8 of 16 in Rockville
4.0 of 5 stars 228 reviews
Cambria hotel & suites Washington DC Convention Center
Cambria hotel & suites Washingto...
#27 of 140 in Washington DC
4.5 of 5 stars 518 reviews
Quality Inn Tysons Corner
Quality Inn Tysons Corner
#11 of 14 in Tysons Corner
3.0 of 5 stars 257 reviews
Comfort Inn Downtown DC / Convention Center
Comfort Inn Downtown DC / Conven...
#57 of 140 in Washington DC
4.0 of 5 stars 924 reviews
Comfort Inn Pentagon City
Comfort Inn Pentagon City
#41 of 50 in Arlington
3.5 of 5 stars 253 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn Shady Grove? Share your experiences!