“Great Place for Seafood in Maryland”
Review of Bonefish Grill

Bonefish Grill
Ranked #6 of 336 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great Place for Seafood in Maryland”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Drove through the sleet to enjoy a birthday meal at Bonefish Grill in Gaithersburg - located in the Kentlands area near I-270. This was my first foray into this franchise of restaurants.

This place is tucked away on a corner away from the main section of "downtown Kentlands".

The place was packed on a Saturday night, as to be expected, but our 15 minute wait was more like 7 as I'd barely gotten halfway through my beer at the bar.

Seat is rather close, but not cramped. Lighting is low, but not so low that you can see the delicious fare.

Complimentary bread and olive oil is served with your water.... but I'd take it easy on the bread as you want to hold room for the meals.

My wife order the Seafood imperial dip which she very much enjoyed and had the look of Maryland crab dip with a few extra seafood touches. I enjoyed the jump shrimp - Thai coconut flavor which were enjoyable and a bit spicy. Paired nicely with my "Masi" pinot grigio.

For our main course - my wife ordered the Chilean Sea Bass (aka - Patagonian Toothfish). This is one of the few places to still have it on the menu - and despite environmental protests, it is a sustainable fishery with rogue states being the culprit for it being put on "the list". Her sides were string squash and spinach.

I ordered the Grouper. We both had the Mango sauce on the side which was excellent.
I really wanted to ordered the Sea Bass, but we usually agree to order separate dishes to try each others. The sea bass was delicious, though I would have cooked it for 1-2 more minutes to firm up the texture of the fish. My sides were potatoes au gratin and string squash.

The string squash was very unique, but quite enjoyable and complemented the meal nicely.

My wine for the entree was the J. Lohr Chardonnay. My main complaint on the wine is that it's marked up significantly. Sometimes 200% from what a bottle would cost. My wife abstained from drinking for the evening.

Parking: Free Lot
Service: Perfect. Johnny was helpful and attentive
Food: Delicious
Bar-scene: Ambient
Bathrooms: Clean
Menu: Ample choices

Recommendations: Better draft beer selections. Serve some local / regional wines.

Would recommend: Definitely
Would patronize again: For seafood - yes!

• Visited December 2013

North Bethesda, Maryland, USA
“Good of this kind”
Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Bonefish is a top notch watering hole with excellent bar food and fast, attentive service. Really good for after work with friends and work colleagues.

Visited November 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Casual & good”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Very nice neighborhood restaurant. Specializes and sea food and good selection of Martini's . Bar area always seems to have a steady crowd with a lot of repeat customers.

Visited October 2013
Florida
“Bonefish is a favorite..reliable..consistant”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've eaten at numerous Bonefish Grill restaurants more than any other restaurants in my life. I feel like a little bit of an expert !
This one, this past Sat, was as usual, jammed. The bar area was still manageable, and reservation time was honored, even early. ( you need to make res) I have always been disappointed in the quailty of cocktails at all of the Bonefish restaurants ( however my friend was happy with hers.). so I have switched to a very tasty white sangria ($5)which is a little fizzy, different, better than you would expect for a sangria.(but you must tell them not to fill the glass with ice otherwise, three sips and it is gone)
I had very beautifully presented grilled shrimp and scallops with asparagus ( 20) and a veg mix that they serve with each entree. My friend had the special swordfish and loved it. at last moment, I decided to add a Bonefish house salad which, when added is something like $ 3. then I took that and the leftover fish home for lunch the next day at the Sugarloaf Exhibition at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds, where we are exhibiting artists.
So... this place has always been good, So the changes, I've seen over the years really can't improve on that.. but I suspect that management instead of raising prices is cutting some corners, and judging from their success, it is not hurting their business.: The wonderul hot bread that is served with the oil and spices..? The dish with the oil is half the size of the past. too bad. we asked for more? another plate came out with the same loaf of bread, with the same amount of oil. hmmm.
the formerly beautiful tablecloth and linens..replaced with brown paper on top of the tables. I hate it, but others don't seem to mind. the menu has gotten smaller, but it is still very nice. On the positive side, the server Dennis, was TOP notch. You can generally count on that. I haven't ordered deserts in a long time, but they were fabulous when I did. We stayed from 8-10 plus p.m., every table was still occupied when we left no one hassled us to move on as we chatted . THis place is a safe bet to bring friends.. it is noisy but it is a happy sound, enthusiastic people enjoying themselves. Darkish with overhead spotlights, trees and artistic wrought iron wall sculptures are standard.

• Visited October 2013
Germantown, Maryland
“Reviewers are right. Fish and other food is always consistently good great. Our can't miss place”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Have been here over 2-3 times a year since opened with family, friends, or just a date night. Never had a bad meal. Chilean sea bass, ahi tuna, bang bang shrimp, and specials have been consistently great. Our go to place. Tips: get reservations or call ahead seating on fri or sat. Does get busy and can be slightly loud. But that just adds to atmosphere.