“One of my family's favorite restaurants”
Review of Red Hot & Blue

Red Hot & Blue
Ranked #47 of 341 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: Red Hot and Blue is a full-service, casual-themed restaurant chain and caterer featuring delicious award-winning ribs, Memphis-style barbeque, smoked wings, and Southern sides and desserts. The atmosphere is steeped in legendary and contemporary blues music and delivers a large dose of Southern hospitality in a fun and entertaining dining environment. History: The first Red Hot and Blue restaurant opened in Arlington, Virginia in 1988, started by Lee Atwater, Don Sundquist and friends. Don Sundquist was from Memphis and served in the House of Representatives and as governor of Tennessee. The late Lee Atwater was an amateur blues musician and political figure that managed George H.W. Bush's successful race for the presidency. These men were friends who longed for authentic Memphis-style barbeque and great blues music. Unable to find that combination anywhere in the Washington, DC area they decided the only way to get it done was to open a restaurant of their own. The Memphis-style barbeque chain celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 2013 by partnering with a charitable organization at 24 different restaurant locations. The yearlong celebration culminated in the presentation of thousands of dollars in donations to local charities. The Name: The name, "Red Hot and Blue" is taken from the title of D.J. Dewey Phillip's radio show that that aired on WHBQ-AM in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1950s. This radio show launched the careers of Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash and broadened the audience for artists such as BB King, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray and Rufus Thomas. Red Hot & Blue Dine-In, Take-Out and Catering. Hickory-smoked Memphis-style BBQ, Ribs, Wings, Beef Brisket, Smoked Chicken, Seafood, Full-service Bar, in a Family-friendly atmosphere with a heapin' helpin' of Southern Hospitality!
Reviewed May 26, 2012

If you want good ribs, this is the place to go. Order what they are known for.... the St. Louis style ribs are great...so is the chicken. Stay away from the breaded shrimp as it seems to be some pre-packaged frozen type of fish. The baked sweet potatoes and collard greens are outstanding.

There are newer reviews for Red Hot & Blue

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Previously I wrote about this restaurant and gave it a four out of 5 stars for not have a defined identity and being overpriced, but pretty much everything else being fantastic. Well either the prices around me have all gone up or they have become morereasonable, because they are right in line with other restaurants in the area. They have removed the tacky table clothes and now present themselves as a nice place to get BBQ. They have hit their stride and I am now a regular here. Their smokehouse salad is nthing short of addicting! Service remains top notch, and my only complaint is the are not open late enough, they clsoe @ 9 pm. Definitely a place to visit and dine.

1  Thank blewjaye
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Went to celebrate my birthday with my children and the whole experience was great. Our server, Joseph, was on point the entire time. My kids were quite intrigued by his tattoos and asked if we cold come back soon so he could be our sever again. The food was great as well, better than I remember from the last visit. Can not wait to go back again, it may just be our new family spot...

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Consistently the best ribs in this area. We go out of our way to stop in to get the ribs. Truly finger licking good!!!

1  Thank Doronova
Reviewed February 12, 2011

This restaurant will hit the spot for anyone in the mood for some good southern barbeque. Overall, we had a pleasant experience and would reccomend this place to anyone in search of tastiness.

The Good - The service at this restaurant was attentive but not to the point of an annoyance. We never had to wait more than a few seconds to have a water glass refilled, or napkins replenished (trust me, extra napkins a must!) The server wasn't friendly or cheerful, in fact seemed a bit distracted at times, but the order was perfect and there were no delays. The entree came almost immediately following the clearing of the appetizer platter and the staff worked as a team making sure our needs were met.

The Great - The food. From the appetizer we shared to the five meat platter (ribs, chicken, pulled pork, sausage and onions, and brisket) along with the sides of cole slaw and greens, everything was full of flavor. This will definitely be a place I return to again and again.

Why you'd avoid - While the food is fantastic and the service is acceptable, the overall experience did not justify the cost. Definitely a misfire on the value category. My wife and I shared an appetizer, ordered water, shared an entree', had one alcoholic beverage and the bill after tip was almost $40.00. Definitely over priced.

This is a place I can see going to whenever that craving for BBQ or Ribs hits me, but due to the overpriced food, I am not planning on being a regular.