New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Il Porto
Ranked #16 of 327 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Il Porto offers fresh and delicious Italian food at very reasonable prices along with impeccable service. You will not find a more friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We now offer OUTDOOR SEATING on our brand new patio. And, with our recent expansion to the property next door, we can now accommodate large groups!
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“Yummy food at a very yummy reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Il Porto has such a lovely array of food and it is pleasant. Everything our table of six had was
excellent and it was a pleasure eating there, The service was very good w/o being hovered over
and the variety of food was so nice. We all enjoyed.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Bonnie A

Northport, Alabama
“Great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I dined at this restaurant twice in the month of June, both times by myself. First, service is very attentive and they really do try to do their best to have you enjoy your experience there. However, the food is just not up to the level of the service. They bring out freshly baked bread and grated cheese so I thought, wow, this is going to be great. The flavoring/seasoning of the two items I had Linguine with red clam sauce and Spaghetti Bolognese just isn't there. It's better than frozen meals, but I've had better just at food samples at my local Publix grocery store. I did have their house salad, but again the dressing is bland and I didn't order it the second time. They have a good wine list and you can take what you don't drink with you. Too bad the food flavors just aren't there to match their high level of service.

• Visited June 2013
Rockville
“Really good local restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Il Porto is a really nice place for a high quality relaxing dinner. Sure, it is not an elegant high end restaurant, but it also has reasonable prices for very good food that is well prepared and with excellent friendly service. One time there the fish I had was not very good. And when I spoke with the manager he not only tried the fish and agreed with me, but he apologized profusely, and corrected the problem immediately. He could not have handled this problem, which clearly was an anomaly, better, or earned our loyalty more quickly. This is a lovey local family restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
Washington DC, USA
“No prices on the main menu! What's with that?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were there on a Saturday night, a group of 4. The main menu, an inserted sheet with all of the featured appetizers, entres, salads, etc did not show a single price. And there were many things on the list, and we were interested in ordering from this list. So each one in our party had to keep catching the waiter as he was rushing by to ask him, "How much is this?" and "How much is this?" and "Where are the prices?" and "Why aren't the prices on the menu?"

The waiter just shrugged and acted annoyed at our asking, but who wants to order without knowing how much something is?

And by the way,most of the entrees on that list were high priced, like 25 bucks or more.

So we ordered off the part of the menu that had prices listed so we didn't feel embarrassed at asking the price of a lot of items.

The prices were reasonable off the menu we used, the food was tasty, and we had no left overs. The portion sizes were good...in othe words, they don't sell you a gigantic portion and then charge you more; instead, you get a portion like a person SHOULD eat and charge you accordingly.

I would visit this place again, but before I do, I am going to call the management and ask them to put the prices on the menu before our visit! :-)

The place was very crowded at prime dinner time, but it is big and we got a seat for four right away.

It's kind of noisy, not a quiet romantic Italian restaurant.

I had the fried artichokes and minestrone soup, both good. The clams with white sauce on spaghetti was good, too. So was the lasagna. Before the meal they gave us good bread with olive oil and cheese.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank NYRita2011
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Undiscovered Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had a reservation for an "it" restaurant but cancelled and decided to go to a smaller restaurant closer to home one infinitely cold evening - my birthday. The TA reviews for Il Porto were uniformly good, so we decided to try them.

Il Porta is located in an unassuming strip mall off Muddy Branch Road in Gaithersburg. Having lived in the area since 1993, we were shocked that with all the restaurants we've visited we'd never stopped by. On arrival we were seated promptly in a booth with cloth tablecloths and napkins.

For my starter I had the lobster soup, which I'd been told was a bisque but was too thin and too tasteless to be a bisque. Luckily it was fairly inexpensive. For our entrees I chose the rockfish with crab meat on top and I requested a side of gnocchi with pesto. When my rockfish was delivered I received gnocchi with marinara sauce which I sent back. My waiter realized his error once he saw my perplexed expression. I had my replacement gnocchi in about 10 minutes. For his entree DH chose spaghetti and meatballs with a side of garlic bread. That's always a fail safe meal whenever we go to an Italian restaurant. DH said he liked it. For desert I chose the flan which was light and tasty. DH had none.

We're glad we finally stopped by Il Porto. I think it will go into regular rotation when we're in the mood for Italian food.

• Visited January 2013